No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I used to be with 3 mobile back in the day around that time. They used to also sponsor the Australian Cricket team and they had a cool feature at the time where you could live stream for free (it didn't count towards your data allowance) the 2006-2007 Ashes series. I have vivid memories of watching the Amazing Adelaide comeback test match with Warnie taking those wickets in the 2nd innings which turned the match on my tiny by today's standards Nokia while at work.
Yeah i remember doing similar lol

My nokia even had a kick stand!

I have no idea where else to put this but I am in need of some assistance! I have in the last few days come into possession of some Stimirol/Scanlens 1989 footy cards in pretty good condition and was wondering if there were any resources (online or not) I could use to see if there is any value in them? DM information if you would like! Thanks friends.

The AFL did everything they could to get them over the line and still the Bombers bombed.

Related to this is their draw. The hilarious thing is the afl think they are doing them a favour by gifting easy draws but reality is they finish higher up the ladder than they should and get worse picks 😂

I love every season in recent years how essendon start well and think they are strong only to be found wanting by the end of the year.
Bugs Bunny GIF

I have no idea where else to put this but I am in need of some assistance! I have in the last few days come into possession of some Stimirol/Scanlens 1989 footy cards in pretty good condition and was wondering if there were any resources (online or not) I could use to see if there is any value in them? DM information if you would like! Thanks friends.
Have you tried google? I found some nba cards i had from the 90s and valued them via google.

Have you tried google? I found some nba cards i had from the 90s and valued them via google.
Were they worth anything? I have full sets from early to mid 90s, but last I checked they were worthless as that era was the boom for card collecting and every collector already has these sets!

Were they worth anything? I have full sets from early to mid 90s, but last I checked they were worthless as that era was the boom for card collecting and every collector already has these sets!
Do you have a Honus Wagner T206 card ?
Heard they can go for a bit 🙂

I had a penny hardaway roomie card with $50-70. I swapped it with one of my staff for some probably worthless cards of my favourite player of that era. Penny was his favourite player so felt it was better with him. This occurred in 2024 btw lol

Same. I have AFL Select and Cazaly Classics from 1994 (not 100% complete but close to) which I looked into selling a little while ago but based off eBay listings discovered they weren't worth much, maybe $1-2 each if you wanted to sell individually. Not worth the hassle so figured I'd hold onto them for old times sake.

Wot? Are you new to this argument thing? You can’t introduce a new argument in rebuttal and then claim I didn’t address it and expect to have a winning argument.

My equivalence was that both injuries appear to have unknown, long-term consequences. That’s an indisputable fact and not in any way “false.”
A bad hip doesn't cause you to shoot your family, or yourself. Brain damage is next level to a bad hip. Hip joints can be replaced. Your brain may have been.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A bad hip doesn't cause you to shoot your family, or yourself. Brain damage is next level to a bad hip. Hip joints can be replaced. Your brain may have been.

I missed the part where retired AFL players are murdering families. I’ve got to watch the news more.

Long term hip issues are a bit different to CTE that can lead to violent tendencies and suicidal thoughts amongst others.
But you keep up the false equivalence.
I don’t think that CTE is completely preventable (as in reduce risk to zero) in contact sport. Particularly if other factors (eg amusement rides, maybe even the jolting motion on a bumpy road) are factors outside of control

Is Chris Scott about to retire? What’s up with the last two weeks of articles and media segments pushing him as the greatest living coach? I just saw a Nick Riewoldt article naming him the coach of the century, clearly better than Matthews, Clarkson and Hardwick. Is Scott sick or something?

I missed the part where retired AFL players are murdering families. I’ve got to watch the news more.

Hasn't gone to that extent yet - however the number of players found to have had CTE who are killing themselves is fairly alarming. There might be incidences in American sports that I am not aware of - however there is a train of thought that professional wrestler Chris Benoit was impacted by CTE, among other things, when he murdered his family before killing himself.

Hasn't gone to that extent yet - however the number of players found to have had CTE who are killing themselves is fairly alarming. There might be incidences in American sports that I am not aware of - however there is a train of thought that professional wrestler Chris Benoit was impacted by CTE, among other things, when he murdered his family before killing himself.

I didn’t realise the coroner found CTE as the issue with Benoit. I thought it was CTE advocates who made that argument and coroner instead was drawn to stew of ‘roids and other drugs in his system, as well as his family, but ultimately decided it wasn’t a roid rage murder. My bad.

Good goals, and Harley will surely win (particularly with Daicos splitting votes), but this just seems like a fairly bland selection given we've seen some other rippers this year.

Harley's is the only one that really deserves to be in there, honestly. From a centre clearance, out of traffic, few bounces. Great goal.

Daicos' first selection is genuinely baffling, one half arsed side step and a kick from 40m directly in front. Wtf? I feel like Weddle had a handful of better goals than this. Snaps / kicks from a tight angle are more common now which might be why they're falling out of favour in this award, but they're still 10 times more impressive than that goal.

I didn’t realise the coroner found CTE as the issue with Benoit. I thought it was CTE advocates who made that argument and coroner instead was drawn to stew of ‘roids and other drugs in his system, as well as his family, but ultimately decided it wasn’t a roid rage murder. My bad.

Unsure if you are being snide - but benefit of the doubt if you are not. His brain was analysed and was found to have evidence of head trauma and CTE in all four lobes and that his brain resembled that of an 85 year old sufferer of Alzheimer's. I am not suggesting one way or the other - there could be a multitude of reasons why he did what he did but CTE was quite possibly a factor.

Taking Benoit out of the equation - there are multiple former footy players who have recently taken their own lives with CTE being a very likely cause. Particularly Paul Green - he had no known mental health issues, young children and was in the midst of working out a deal to join the Dolphins as an assistant coach under Wayne Bennett. I know that suicide quite often can make no sense to those around the person - but that someone would do this without warning or any known issues or pressing life issues that would explain it, given the presence of quite severe CTE in Green's brain it would again be a likely cause.

I am not accusing you of trivialising head injuries by the way - just more defending why Tassie might be a bit defensive and possible hyperbolic on comparisons between head trauma and joint issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back