No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

And its literally because our sub was 33 and their late in was 19.
Absolute spun BS.
The starting 22 certainly wasnt younger.
You kinda need to look at the teams in context as well. Arguably the most important place to have experience is the midfield and they had more across the board.

Most athletic isn’t remotely laughable. Subjective, sure - laughable, no. The only team sport that comes close to average distance run per game is soccer and that isn’t a contact sport and soccer players couldn’t take marks like Aussie Rules players do. Not to mention they crumple in a heap at the first sign of contact. Add to this the endurance level as there isn’t another team sport out there that has games played consistently over 2 hours each match. Not even Gaelic or hurling play that long.

I’m certain there are many sports that have impressive athletic specimens playing them - but it’s not ‘laughable’ to say that Aussie Rules is one of the most athletic games in the world.
That guy moved to the states a few years ago and is now completely full of all things 'merica Kool-Aid.

That guy moved to the states a few years ago and is now completely full of all things 'merica KoKool-Aid
Lived in Europe for many years as well. Im not anti/pro any sports, just a little more educated on other sports than I was 10 years ago. Interestingly the players you follow at the Hawks are all pretty obsessed with US sports. That's why they spend their off season over here. They be drinking more kokool aid than me. 😁

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most seemed to be in agreement, although Brad Fittler wasn’t so sure.

“When you go into the bunker there is 23 camera angles,” he said.

“Whoever is sitting there at the moment, which is Grant Atkins, he would have every view.

“From the one I saw his hand was underneath the ball.”

Reporters were later shown another angle viewers hadn't seen on TV which appeared to back up Fittler’s assertion.

Journalist Martin Gabor tweeted: “Fair play to the NRL. We’ve been shown a high resolution replay and there is no point when the ball touches the ground. Jack Howarth did NOT score. I thought it was definitely a try at the time.”

AAP reporter Scott Bailey also wrote: “If ever there was an argument for broadcasters to show what the bunker sees, that was it. The NRL have shown media footage that clearly shows Howarth did not ground the ball. But that’s a tough sell to everyone who just turned off the TV.”

Lived in Europe for many years as well. Im not anti/pro any sports, just a little more educated on other sports than I was 10 years ago. Interestingly the players you follow at the Hawks are all pretty obsessed with US sports. That's why they spend their off season over here. They be drinking more kokool aid than me. 😁

Mate I love US sports, I’ve watched all of them as much as I could since my teens. I love most sports and will pretty much watch anything on TV outside of golf. I’m all for anyone disagreeing with my views on AFL umpiring because it’s subjective as hell and everyone will have differing views. However I don’t think comments saying it’s the hardest game to officiate stem from myopic/jingoistic thinking. I also don’t get why you felt the need to denigrate the athleticism of AFL players by saying it was laughable to say it’s one of the most athletic sports. As I mentioned earlier - no athletes run as far each game, particularly in contact sports, and to my knowledge there isn’t a sport where players have to play for up to 2 hours each game. Combine all this running with players who quite bloody big and also many who have amazing vertical leaps. To deny the athleticism of our players is just odd in my view.

Last edited:
Man I’ve watched both angles and there has to be some sort of optical illusion going on because it looks like the ball absolutely hit the ground in the tv shot

Multiple journos have seen the footage the bunker relied upon to make the call (which was not the Channel 9 footage) and stated that it definitely showed him as being held up.

Multiple journos have seen the footage the bunker relied upon to make the call (which was not the Channel 9 footage) and stated that it definitely showed him as being held up.

Yeah I understand, the bunker angle it’s clearly arm under the ball. But just looks so much like it hit ground in the 9 vision.

Difference between the two clubs.....we've moved on and have bigger things to concentrate on.
Have the Hawks supporters really moved on after losing a very winnable match, and Kenny giving some well deserved lip back to some of your players? I suspect the loss is still a little raw and was a great opportunity missed, especially after the Swans shat the bed in the GF (again).

Have the Hawks supporters really moved on after losing a very winnable match, and Kenny giving some well deserved lip back to some of your players? I suspect the loss is still a little raw and was a great opportunity missed, especially after the Swans shat the bed in the GF (again).

**** off minnow.

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Back