General Asian Cup Discussion Thread.

Who do you think will win the 2015 Asian Cup?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If the AFC is bold enough to increase the 2019 tournament to 24 teams they really need to increase the strength of the AFC as a whole.
That could be done by incorporating Oceania as a sub-association of the AFC (New Zealand would add quite a bit to the Asian Cup).

AFC should also try and get Kazakhstan back from UEFA where they are not doing anything. Might be a long shot but perhaps try and convince Egypt to join AFC? Historically and culturally they are much closer to the middle east (and therefore asia) then the rest of Africa. Unfortunately due to political issues Israel will never join the AFC again which is a shame because they'd strengthen the AFC markedly. They've even won the Asian cup before.

If the AFC is bold enough to increase the 2019 tournament to 24 teams they really need to increase the strength of the AFC as a whole.
That could be done by incorporating Oceania as a sub-association of the AFC (New Zealand would add quite a bit to the Asian Cup).

AFC should also try and get Kazakhstan back from UEFA where they are not doing anything. Might be a long shot but perhaps try and convince Egypt to join AFC? Historically and culturally they are much closer to the middle east (and therefore asia) then the rest of Africa. Unfortunately due to political issues Israel will never join the AFC again which is a shame because they'd strengthen the AFC markedly. They've even won the Asian cup before.

Stopped Australia from qualifying for the WC in either 1966 or 1970 too.

Was discussing the lack of spread in the cities used for matches with a few friends on the weekend and they lamented that some of the lesser games between nations who were never really expected to be a contender to even get out of the groups phase and why they weren't held in other cities. We used Canberra and Newcastle but didn't even give Hobart or Adelaide a look in.

The FFA had a brillant opportunity to use Hobart for a match by putting a game at North Hobart Oval (would be much better suited than Bellerive for soccer), to see how the Tasmanian public would react. Even a match like Palestine Jordan would of drawn close to a sellout crowd (18,000) due to the lack of quality sport played there and the desire of the locals to see more. It would've then also enabled the FFA and certain clubs to see if it was worth exploring the AFL style option of playing some games there during the season (most likely Melbourne City, but Central Coast might also be interested).

Football is growing and we wasted a brillant opportunity to tap into developing markets, especially in AFL heartland and build the game further. It's almost like, we got it because we want to win it, now what do we do with the smaller games? Flood the Melbourne/Sydney/Brisbane market with extra games that people won't bother going to.

Was discussing the lack of spread in the cities used for matches with a few friends on the weekend and they lamented that some of the lesser games between nations who were never really expected to be a contender to even get out of the groups phase and why they weren't held in other cities. We used Canberra and Newcastle but didn't even give Hobart or Adelaide a look in.

The FFA had a brillant opportunity to use Hobart for a match by putting a game at North Hobart Oval (would be much better suited than Bellerive for soccer), to see how the Tasmanian public would react. Even a match like Palestine Jordan would of drawn close to a sellout crowd (18,000) due to the lack of quality sport played there and the desire of the locals to see more. It would've then also enabled the FFA and certain clubs to see if it was worth exploring the AFL style option of playing some games there during the season (most likely Melbourne City, but Central Coast might also be interested).

Football is growing and we wasted a brillant opportunity to tap into developing markets, especially in AFL heartland and build the game further. It's almost like, we got it because we want to win it, now what do we do with the smaller games? Flood the Melbourne/Sydney/Brisbane market with extra games that people won't bother going to.
The competition is being jointly funded by Federal Government and the State governments of Queensland, NSW, Victoria and the ACT. The reason places like Perth and Adelaide missed out is because of the state governments not willing to give funding to the lucrative tournament.

I don't Victoria added much at all. Hence why NSW got the final four games.
Victoria put in the least because of the Australian Open tennis. The second week of the tennis sees most of the hotels heavily booked so adding any of the last 4 games on top would of caused problems in catering for two major events at once.

Victoria put in the least because of the Australian Open tennis. The second week of the tennis sees most of the hotels heavily booked so adding any of the last 4 games on top would of caused problems in catering for two major events at once.

i also daresay cricket had rights to etihad too

now the important issue that has not yet been spoken of.

has anyone noticed at games start and end when teams line up and wishe each other luck or commisurations they saunter past each other and give a limp high five?

dial back perhaps a decade ago, maybe 2 at most. pre and post game pleasantaries were a handshake. in perhaps the past 5 years its become the handshake common in the nba (minus the chest bump theatrics). now its a high five.

the evolution of the handshake

I think the news coverage has been disgraceful. I watch channel 9 or 10 news, you wouldn't even know the tournament was on! Waiting for a mention on ch9, absolutely nothing however they did show a brawl in the baseball ffs. And ch10 news, big bash and more big bash hype.

Unless Palestine can somehow manage a draw against Iraq and Jordan draws with Japan then this tournament will not have a single draw. I haven't checked but surely this hasn't happened before in a World Cup/Euro/Africa Cup of Nations/Asian Cup etc. before?

Unless Palestine can somehow manage a draw against Iraq and Jordan draws with Japan then this tournament will not have a single draw. I haven't checked but surely this hasn't happened before in a World Cup/Euro/Africa Cup of Nations/Asian Cup etc. before?
Would be pretty incredible to have no draws, and I can't see either of tomorrow's matches being draws.

Well, I did make mention of that, hopefully we can make it 24 out of 24.

The official word is, the 2015 Asian Cup has surpassed the all-time record for major football tournaments, which is 18 from the first ever World Cup in Uruguay in 1930. http://www.fifa.com/world-match-centre/asiancup/news/newsid/250/862/8/

Those that complain about the many draws or 0-0 results, take a look at this tournament. Certainly is showing a point or two to the doubters. Attendances over 300,000 so far as well, not bad at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So now the AFC is enforcing that no tickets are sold on the two standing room hills at the end of the goals at Newcastle, so the capacity will be down to 21k.

FFA amateur hour.........and these guys bid for a World Cup.

japan1.jpg

i really dont like the trophy. looks like a punch bowl. and the player trophies look like bowls i used to use at chinese restaurants when eating lychees and ice cream

I've struggled to get into the tournament despite going to the opening game. I'd never heard of most of the countries, in a soccer sense, and the NFL playoffs have been my sports focus. But now it's down to the knockout stage I'm going to try and watch all of it (except the 3rd place playoff - **** that noise).

I've struggled to get into the tournament despite going to the opening game. I'd never heard of most of the countries, in a soccer sense, and the NFL playoffs have been my sports focus. But now it's down to the knockout stage I'm going to try and watch all of it (except the 3rd place playoff - **** that noise).

i am surprised that the pundits in the studio dont say the names of the other countrys players more in their analysis. its always the defender, midfielder, player etc. i know asian names aren't easy to say like anglo ones, but as a presenter/commentator/analyst surely you give players respect they deserve??

My idea with Afro-Asian Cup is that the 4 best teams of asia and africa, in total 8, play in this "small confederations Cup" to develop both continents football.

for example, imagine:

January Asian Cup 2015 Australia - the final four (for example, Iran, Korea, Australia, Japan)
January/February African Nations Cup 2015 Equatorial Guinea - the final four teams, for example (Algeria, Ivory coast, cameroon, Gabon)

K.O.System (only)

QF:
1) Asian Cup Winner - 4th African Nations Cup
2) Asian Cup 2nd - 3rd African Nations Cup
3) Asian Cup 3rd - 2nd African Nations Cup
4) Asian Cup 4h - African Nations Cup Winner

Semifinal
1)Winner QF 1 - Winner QF 2 and 5)Loser QF 1 - Loser QF 2
2)Winner QF 2 - Winner QF 4 and 6)Loser QF 3 - Loser QF 4

Final Rounds
Final Match: Winner SF 1 - Winner SF 2
3rd Place: Loser SF 1 - Loser SF 2
5th Place: Winner 5) - Winner 6)
7th Place: Loser 5) - Loser 6)

This Cup can be played every summer if both Asian and African Nat. Cup are in winter. Host continent will rotate every edition, so one time Asia, next time africa and host nation will always be one of the participating countries (1 of the 4)...

Thoughts on this? Not my idea. But I like this.

i also daresay cricket had rights to etihad too
Docklands was never going to be used for the Cup. Swan Street is the perfect size for the games played there.
125,368 people attended Swan St for the Melbourne games averaging 17,909. Outside Socceroos and Japan Docklands would have been a poor choice.

Also Victorian Goverment didnt want a match past Quater Final game due to the clash of the Tennis giving us the Newcastle semi drama.

Last edited:
Japan vs Jordan 25k, awesome stuff.
thanks.

and the atmosphere was respectful and clean.

soccer gets a bad wrap because of some minority minorities. they should watch and learn from the japanese fans. no violence, littering etc.

Went to the game not knowing exactly what to expect. I knew to expect a big crowd, but that was about it.

It was a pretty good game (a hell of a lot better than a few A-League snooze-fests I've endured), but the atmosphere was electric. The highlight for me was seeing the Jordanian active area start a Mexican Wave, and it was one of the best waves I've seen.

All up a fantastic night, and really glad I forked out the $20 to be at the game.

AAMI Park is an excellent stadium too.

Remove this Banner Ad

General Asian Cup Discussion Thread.

Back