Rumour GFC 2018 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was an article on fox sports about who your club should look at for the upcoming draft earlier this week (no link sorry). It made mention of Bailey Scott in ours and the Suns but said that North was looking like a distant third in the race for his signature or something to that extent. Looks a handy type.
What are they saying in pick wise were Bailey Scott will go?

I hope with our 1st pick we go for a Key Forward. As really we have Sav and Buzza ( not sure if he will make it yet) but we need another one to develop to take Hawkins spot.

I hope with our 1st pick we go for a Key Forward. As really we have Sav and Buzza ( not sure if he will make it yet) but we need another one to develop to take Hawkins spot.

Just depends on who is there.. they will not pick a KPF if much better mids are there at our pick.

There was an article on fox sports about who your club should look at for the upcoming draft earlier this week (no link sorry). It made mention of Bailey Scott in ours and the Suns but said that North was looking like a distant third in the race for his signature or something to that extent. Looks a handy type.

This the one ..

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...k/news-story/09d465e74361e8c6c2c54e74d00adec1

GEELONG

Draft picks (after home and away season): 11, 47, 54, 55, 56, 83

The type of player they should target: Classy players in the attacking half of the ground

Ideal player: Zak Butters/Curtis Taylor

Draftable Father-Son/Academy prospects: Oscar Brownless (father-son), Bailey Scott (father-son)

The Cats are well stocked in multiple areas of the ground, so some more class on top of what they have would be at the top of their list. If Ian Hill is available, he would definitely fit the bill, while all signs point to Luke Dahlhaus joining the Cats from the Western Bulldogs. A classy half forward/wingman in the mould of Vic Metro pair Zak Butters or Curtis Taylor would add to the Cats side, with the latter a possible pick in the 20-40 range. Butters isn’t an overly large ball-winner, but impacts the play and has the ability to hit up a target well inside 50. Geelong will also have to match a father-son bid for Oscar Brownless, but that would likely come in the second half of the draft and they have plenty of picks banked if required. Bailey Scott could also decide to join the Cats at the end of the year.

I can understand but if we don't recruit a Key Position and let's say we delist Buzza the year after we will be very thin if we got nothing there to come threw.

We will bring someone in.. but we will not over pay just for type... thats one or the worst things you can do..

If we have P12/P16 ... and Wells like a tall that rates that type of a pick.. then fine .. otherwize we will look at other options like Munn later on..

I like OHalloran if we had pick in that range.. but obviously we need a gun tall. You just cant control who gets picked before your pick. If we do not draft someone perhaps we trade them in next year.

Yeah totally agree. How is the draft looking in terms of KPF's? The King brothers will likely be gone, not sure who else will be available, but no doubt there will still be some good key forward there with our current first round pick (11).

Yeah totally agree. How is the draft looking in terms of KPF's? The King brothers will likely be gone, not sure who else will be available, but no doubt there will still be some good key forward there with our current first round pick (11).

The obvious tall around our pick is Bailey Williams... 198cm he has played mostly ruck but has talent just needs to develop skills. Much later in the draft perhaps Bowman and Munn looks a bull in the making...

Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 8.27.11 pm.png

After the Kings Blakey and Luk.. I think the the talls fall away a bit. Williams would be worth a shot

The obvious tall around our pick is Bailey Williams... 198cm he has played mostly ruck but has talent just needs to develop skills. Much later in the draft perhaps Bowman and Munn looks a bull in the making...

View attachment 552869

After the Kings Blakey and Luk.. I think the the talls fall away a bit. Williams would be worth a shot
I can remember you put a link on that Munn before and Gee he looks like a tank...

View attachment 552869

Thanks TC. I just watched some highlights of Bailey Williams. He certainly is a very athletic type for someone that is 198cm, I think he could develop into a KPF. As you say, just needs to develop the skills. There is a lot to work with there. He'd certainly have to be in consideration for our first pick.

This the one ..

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...k/news-story/09d465e74361e8c6c2c54e74d00adec1

GEELONG

Draft picks (after home and away season): 11, 47, 54, 55, 56, 83

The type of player they should target: Classy players in the attacking half of the ground

Ideal player: Zak Butters/Curtis Taylor

Draftable Father-Son/Academy prospects: Oscar Brownless (father-son), Bailey Scott (father-son)

The Cats are well stocked in multiple areas of the ground, so some more class on top of what they have would be at the top of their list. If Ian Hill is available, he would definitely fit the bill, while all signs point to Luke Dahlhaus joining the Cats from the Western Bulldogs. A classy half forward/wingman in the mould of Vic Metro pair Zak Butters or Curtis Taylor would add to the Cats side, with the latter a possible pick in the 20-40 range. Butters isn’t an overly large ball-winner, but impacts the play and has the ability to hit up a target well inside 50. Geelong will also have to match a father-son bid for Oscar Brownless, but that would likely come in the second half of the draft and they have plenty of picks banked if required. Bailey Scott could also decide to join the Cats at the end of the year.

Mensch not getting a mention... out of consideration as even a rookie pick?

Mensch not getting a mention... out of consideration as even a rookie pick?
His stats have fallen off a cliff towards the end of the season, not sure if he's being played out of position or less game time. Not really sure what's going on there.

From the footage I saw of him, he had a nice left foot on him, earlier this year. Some pundits say he has low hurt factor, but I tend to disagree. At 177cm, is not going to help his draft chances either...

He looks exactly like his old-man in the face btw...

His stats have fallen off a cliff towards the end of the season, not sure if he's being played out of position or less game time. Not really sure what's going on there.

From the footage I saw of him, he had a nice left foot on him, earlier this year. Some pundits say he has low hurt factor, but I tend to disagree. At 177cm, is not going to help his draft chances either...

He looks exactly like his old-man in the face btw...
Mensch didn't get a game in the Falcons final. Brownless kicked 2 goals and was again among the best. Ned McHenry whom I like a lot also kicked 2 and was among the best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 552869

Turbo,
Could you please give me the link where you get all of this info
thx

Just depends on who is there.. they will not pick a KPF if much better mids are there at our pick.

I just can’t stomach the idea of us drafting a Mitch thorp and missing out on a Joel selwood which goes back to what our drafting principle for our great side was, go with best available talent. And a lesson to always go best available if there ever was one

The gun I really hope we land (but I doubt we even get with pick 5 scenario) is Sam Walsh.

Local falcon who screams next future club captain and a walk into our best 22.

I just can’t stomach the idea of us drafting a Mitch thorp and missing out on a Joel selwood which goes back to what our drafting principle for our great side was, go with best available talent. And a lesson to always go best available if there ever was one

The gun I really hope we land (but I doubt we even get with pick 5 scenario) is Sam Walsh.

Local falcon who screams next future club captain and a walk into our best 22.

You may as well chase pots of gold at the end of Rainbows... I cant see Carlton going past him ...

We are desperately in need of some height after having drafted small to often, the reserves are packed with these same types.
If that's not obvious it never will be.
Best available for "greatest need" is what's required.

We are desperately in need of some height after having drafted small to often, the reserves are packed with these same types.

yeah we certainly dont need to draft more 180cm mid/small forwards

best available is fine because we have so many holes anyway

Yeah, but for every Thorp/Selwood, there's also a Tambling/Roughead. Hawthorn picked talls and set their club up for a decade.

Can't believe people want more using our prime pick.
Even after they know Dallhaus is coming too. Blows me away.
I agree with this. You don't generally draft around the holes you have now - you draft around the holes that you know you're going to have in five years.

For us, that's a ruckman, a full-forward and a defensively-minded midfielder.

I understand what you are saying .. and Im not saying best available because I have often said that is a bit of a cop out ... but if we went past a kid we think will be a gun mid to draft a Buzza we would all be pulling our hair out before long.

Im sure you would not just pick the tallest player irrelevant of his talent? I cant believe you mean that. The more specific the role , the more important that we add high end talent because you just do not add a heap of those roles. What we really need is to get a pick early enough to get access to height and talent we want.

The obvious player that looks like he will be available at our pick ..is Bailey Williams. He looks to have slipped a bit. He is talented , has a very good vertical but here is little doubt he is more of a long term guy than a top mid. As Kelly has shown a gun mid can push their way into the 22.

Id say we are more likely to also look at trade in's unless we get another bargain like Sav.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back