Rumour GFC 2018 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't believe people want more using our prime pick.
Even after they know Dallhaus is coming too. Blows me away.

Which player are you talking about.. "more" ... we need more of everything. We have not a goal kicking FP.. McCarthy is still probably the closest to it.. and he is always injured.. and I think he is FA next year.

I agree with this. You don't generally draft around the holes you have now - you draft around the holes that you know you're going to have in five years.

For us, that's a ruckman, a full-forward and a defensively-minded midfielder.

If you ask the draft guru's .. most will say they use their first pick on the best player .. and then start to balance need with later picks.
I agree with the needs.. but we will also need to replace Ablett Selwood and possibly Danger at some stage..

I agree with this. You don't generally draft around the holes you have now - you draft around the holes that you know you're going to have in five years.

in 5 years most of our team will need replacing

I'd say big elite onballers, a tall forward and a few biggish guys with elite kicking skills someone like Polec/Mackie would be most required. (if you get smashed around the ball it doesnt matter how great the rest of your team is eg GC)

Personally I'd gamble on late pick/rookie listed rucks for a few years unless an obvious gun is available. Our current rucks will do the job for now but we do need to develop some younger ones.

As far as the discussion on needs vs best available I dont think there is that much difference in talent. If the best available is an 8/10 but not really needed and there is a guy 7 or 7.5/10 fills a need you'd probably go the second option. You wouldn't be picking someone a lot less talented, that would be silly.

If we project five years then the defensively minded midfielder is almost certainly L. Fogarty. If we were going to just draft someone then I'd imagine Atkins is far more likely.

If we project five years then the defensively minded midfielder is almost certainly L. Fogarty. If we were going to just draft someone then I'd imagine Atkins is far more likely.

I hope we do draft Atkins, with his form this year he does deserve a crack.

If you ask the draft guru's .. most will say they use their first pick on the best player .. and then start to balance need with later picks.
I agree with the needs.. but we will also need to replace Ablett Selwood and possibly Danger at some stage..

That's why we never recruit quality keys, we talk ourselves into believing a small tackler or little mid is superior when we have a dozen that supposed to fill that need already.
And we wonder why we can't win a final!

Last edited:
One thing is certain we’ll draft a mature age player, but who?
I want to see a big brute of a midfielder and a freak show forward pocket, someone who can do the Betts/Rioli stuff.

One thing is certain we’ll draft a mature age player, but who?
I want to see a big brute of a midfielder and a freak show forward pocket, someone who can do the Betts/Rioli stuff.

...you don't ask for much Jeff.....:D

That's why we never recruit quality keys, we talk ourselves into believing a small tackler or little mid is superior when we have a dozen that supposed to fill that need already.
You don't think it's because we don't have access to the early picks required to snare such players?

I get the argument, but let's face it we've had almost no picks with which to attack key position needs forward of centre. The obvious screw-up was Thurlow/Grundy, but really there aren't that many good key forwards available after about p12.

I don’t be mind Bailey Williams his follow up work is very good and looks strong at the contest. Would be good if he was a few cms taller. But he’d hopefully develop into a ruck that does a lot around the ground.

Do people who’ve seen more of him think Atkins could develop into a defender? He has a good defensively minded game. Can’t see him playing as a mid atm. And an extra small defender would be very good.

Imo we need a Ruckman, A key defender and a defensive small forward to be amongst the top tier teams.

Ideally:
Lycett
Dahlaus
Struggling to find an available key defender atm. Steven May will be on everyone’s hit list so I doubt we could get him, but if we did.......wowsers.

Oh well, Dahlaus is locked in, so that’s 1 down, 2 to go

Last edited:
in 5 years most of our team will need replacing

I'd say big elite onballers, a tall forward and a few biggish guys with elite kicking skills someone like Polec/Mackie would be most required. (if you get smashed around the ball it doesnt matter how great the rest of your team is eg GC)
Yeah, they will - but for some of them, you'd like to think that we have already recruited the replacements. For example, you'd like to think we'd be ok for smalls forward of centre - depending on how they all get on in their careers.

We have seemingly bullseyed the last two drafts - but almost entirely with smaller players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get the argument, but let's face it we've had almost no picks with which to attack key position needs forward of centre. The obvious screw-up was Thurlow/Grundy, but really there aren't that many good key forwards available after about p12.

Noah Balta P25 last year is one.
Taylor, if you want them you pick em.

Imo we need a Ruckman, A key defender and a defensive small forward to be amongst the top tier teams.

Ideally:
Lycett
Dahlauss
Struggling to find an available key defender atm. Steven May will be on everyone’s hit list so I doubt we could get him, but if we did.......wowsers.

Oh well, Dahlauss is locked in, so that’s 1 down, 2 to go
Disagree. We need forwards who are actual forwards. Look at west coast. Darling, Kennedy, Ryan, rioli, cripps and la cra. We have Hawkins, menzel and a bunch of d graders or midfielders playing as forwards. We only have 2 small forwards on our list Jones and miers.

Disagree. We need forwards who are actual forwards. Look at west coast. Darling, Kennedy, Ryan, rioli, cripps and la cra. We have Hawkins, menzel and a bunch of d graders or midfielders playing as forwards. We only have 2 small forwards on our list Jones and miers.
We don’t have Menzel anymore. He’ll be gone next year.

We will have Sav back, but yes you make a good argument

I think Parfitt is going to be a beauty across half forward / midfield, Narkle is only going to get better, and Ablett SHOULD spend more time forward next year.
I haven’t seen enough of Miers to comment on him, but I’ll take your rating of him on trust.
Still say we need a ruckman and a key defender more.
Agree to disagree on this one mate

Last edited:
Yeah but you're speculating that's what it's about.
He plays fwd or defence.
Alir Alir has come on ok. Mitch McGovern, Tom Barass and Jeremy McGovern.
Tom McCartin etc etc.
My contention was that you couldn't get quality tall forwards after early in the draft - quality tall defenders you certainly can.

We don’t have Menzel anymore. He’ll be gone next year.

We will have Sav back, but yes you make a good argument

I think Parfitt is going to be a beauty across half forward / midfield, Narkle is only going to get better, and Ablett SHOULD spend more time forward next year.
I haven’t seen enough of Miers to comment on him, but I’ll take your rating of him on trust.
Still say we need a ruckman and a key defender more.
Agree to disagree on this one mate
Yeah thats fair enough. Narkle and parfitt are not forwards imo. Both drafted as midfielders. Parsons is crap. Fogarty can't kick over 35m, lacks forward craft and played mainly midfield as a junior. Ablett should play as a forward flanker. Even Kelly is not a great forward when played there. McCarthy and gregson both average forwards and were drafted as midfielders.

Once sav is in we look a lot better. If menzel goes would love to grab Corbett. Hawkins and Corbett permanent forwards with sav forward and relieving ruck every now and then. Corbett also covers 15km in some games so he can play the lynch (Adelaide version) role to link the defence and forward line as required.

We need to clean out our c graders who don't have a real position on the ground.

Who do you see as playing in the forward pocket for us?

Yeah thats fair enough. Narkle and parfitt are not forwards imo. Both drafted as midfielders. Parsons is crap. Fogarty can't kick over 35m, lacks forward craft and played mainly midfield as a junior. Ablett should play as a forward flanker. Even Kelly is not a great forward when played there. McCarthy and gregson both average forwards and were drafted as midfielders.

Once sav is in we look a lot better. If menzel goes would love to grab Corbett. Hawkins and Corbett permanent forwards with sav forward and relieving ruck every now and then. Corbett also covers 15km in some games so he can play the lynch (Adelaide version) role to link the defence and forward line as required.

We need to clean out our c graders who don't have a real position on the ground.

Who do you see as playing in the forward pocket for us?

Henry Hawkins Ablett
Parfitt Ratatouille Dahlhaus /Menegola

Im pretty happy with that forward line with the injection of Jones, Narkle, and Kelly.

I’ve left the perpetually injured out because you know .......they’re perpetually injured. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back