Rumour GFC 2018 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some interesting insight from Wells:

https://www.ntnews.com.au/ne
Effectively the same mix. I didn't include Blakey and Thomas as their irrelevant to us. We are frustratingly one or two picks away from landing a gun. I'd take RCD, prefer Sturt, but think that the likelihood of a Jones or B/King falling to us is minimal.

ws/geelong-recruitment-manager-stephen-wells-says-onfield-performances-the-key-to-drafting/news-story/8193746ebc11e580759b247b7f49441c

Edit - Michael Mummery, one of the players mentioned in the above article:

Think we need to be aggressive and trade up from 12. Next years 2nd plus 12 for 9 from GWS. Something like that.
My sentiments (as posted a couple of times) exactly
I'd even consider trading next years 1st and 12 to get into Gold Coasts mix of 2, 3 and 6 if we wanted a real boost.
Get number 6 and we are talking a real talent at the club for 10 years (Rozee, Ben King or Smith)
Get number 3 and look out (rankine, walsh or the precosius one)
Get one of those guys and our short term prospects are bolstered too
We'll get another first next year for Kelly (if he leaves) anyway
Time for Wellsy to pull a rabbit out of the hat (proactivity time)

My sentiments (as posted a couple of times) exactly
I'd even consider trading next years 1st and 12 to get into Gold Coasts mix of 2, 3 and 6 if we wanted a real boost.
Get number 6 and we are talking a real talent at the club for 10 years (Rozee, Ben King or Smith)
Get number 3 and look out (rankine, walsh or the precosius one)
Get one of those guys and our short term prospects are bolstered too
We'll get another first next year for Kelly (if he leaves) anyway
Time for Wellsy to pull a rabbit out of the hat (proactivity time)

There’s almost no chance we can trade into the top 10 considering just about all of the teams in there traded up.

There is absolutely no chance of a top 8 pick, let alone top 6.

Trying to find a position on the ground where he can use his elite kicking skills without having to tackle as much. Loose man down back would suit.

Don’t think it’s possible to have a 7-man backline with the new rules? Has to be 6 & 6 inside each 50m I believe.

Don’t think it’s possible to have a 7-man backline with the new rules? Has to be 6 & 6 inside each 50m I believe.

Have to start that way at the centre bounce. They will just play Kolo/Guthrie off a wing and get them to roll back as soon as the ball is bounced to generate a +1.

Trying to find a position on the ground where he can use his elite kicking skills without having to tackle as much. Loose man down back would suit.

IMO his value is as a link up player to use his skills and finishing ability. He is the player you want delivering into F50 and taking shots on the run. Danger wins the footy and passes to Ablett instead of blazing away himself. Simple :p * until Ablett gets tagged then you need him to drag the tagger inside and use Duncan instead.

Moving Menzel on means the club want to play him forward more this year IMO. I honestly think that is as big as a factor as anything else in the Menzel decision. You can't carry two non KPP attacking players that can't tackle.

Last edited:
I wonder whether B.King is a slight chance to get to us now? Think it's probably minimal but the way this draft is shaping he could be overlooked in favour of mids by GWS if he happens to slip that far? Port being the club that could ruin the party.

King might get to GWS but I cant imagine they pass on him twice. Would we try and trade for 9?

There’s almost no chance we can trade into the top 10 considering just about all of the teams in there traded up.

There is absolutely no chance of a top 8 pick, let alone top 6.

I'd say top 8 is too hard but GWS with 9 11 19 and 25 are an option especially if they want 2019 picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think its very unlikely we draft anyone who will reach Joel Coreys level of performance ..no matter which players name we call. B&F winner big games player and big moment player..

Great moment to sum up Smithy right there.

Game on the line, big moment, gets the ball forward and then straight on his bike to get to the next contest, provides the option, clean receive, and finishes up hitting the target as casual as you like.

Just takin' care of business in his totally understated fashion. Like he did so many times in the hoops.

As Turbo noted, that quarter of footy was one of his very best as we clawed our way back from the brink. And it was Smithy yet again who got the ball to Jim Bob in those final seconds for the sweetest point in living memory

Fantastic contributor, week after week, was our Smithy...

Just imagine how we'd be remembering him now if he'd actually been more than just 'average to good'?

:rolleyes:

Game on the line, big moment, gets the ball forward and then straight on his bike to get to the next contest, provides the option, clean receive, and finishes up hitting the target as casual as you like.

Just takin' care of business in his totally understated fashion. Like he did so many times in the hoops.

As Turbo noted, that quarter of footy was one of his very best as we clawed our way back from the brink. And it was Smithy yet again who got the ball to Jim Bob in those final seconds for the sweetest point in living memory

Just imagine how we'd be remembering him now if he'd actually been more than just 'average to good'?

I reckon he was one of the more underrated players going around.
About 5-6 of his teammates got all the glory but we definitely missed him in retirement.

Genuine gun.

He was my favourite Cat for a long time. He, Milburn and Rooke shared that status for me. The doers, the no mistakers, the true 1%ers.

I reckon he was one of the more underrated players going around.
About 5-6 of his teammates got all the glory but we definitely missed him in retirement.

Genuine gun.

Massively underrated, in my view. And you get the impression that's just the way he liked it.

Definitely missed him when he hung up the boots. And we're still missing him now, based on how many of the current list go missing when the heat is applied.

Whereas with Smithy, the harder and tougher it got, the better he liked it.

A gun amongst a very intimidating arsenal, I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back