Rumour GFC 2018 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geez the McCartin thread on the Saints board is scathing !! Fair to say they don't rate him at all. It's worse than a Cam Guthrie thread.

Be a rare time that is board is offering more up than they are asking. Most saying a pick in the 40's and run over there.

It's a worry that they watch him so much and don't rate him at all. I just think of how long it took for Hawkins who was very similar to Paddy. Tbone was unfit, could take the occasional super mark. Was a very dodgy kick and lacked a lot of confidence but you knew he had talent. He did have the advantage that the ball was coming in 65+ times a game with some pretty decent mids kicking it his way. People forget he only just made the 2011 finals team in his 6th year.

Is Paddy the same or is he just a dud. I think the Swans will also get involved given they have his brother and players going the other way.

If we did happen to get Mcartin, I’d see him as Taylor’s replacement. He has very good hands, he seems to lack the explosiveness to get clear from AFL defenders. Get him back to centre half back, use his talent to get into game.

Henry, Blicavs and Mcartin.

Ratugolea as key forward. We need to find some medium sized forwards to play around him.

I reckon McCartin at the right price is absolutely worth looking into. There is every chance he won't make the grade but it's worth the risk at the right price to see if he can develop into a reasonable player. I don't see him being a superstar but he could be developed into a good role player up forward, particularly if Menz leaves. Maybe he could be our Jack Gunstan? Not saying he'd be anywhere near that good of course, but he could play a similar role for us. A future second round pick would be ideal from our point of view. I'd much rather we invest in him than Gary Rohan.

So looks like we (GFC) are looking at all their options with either this years Pick 11 or 12?? Or next years 1st rounder (8-18)
So what is Sean Darcy worth Pick 19-25 early second ?? What is Stefan Martin worth 30-40 ?? Peter Wright 20's ?? Wingard ??
Or are we trying to slide back into the 20's this year ?? Port's 21 & 27?? Suns 26 & 29?? Carltons 24 & 25 ?? Crows 15 or 19 & 37 ??
Bailey Scott's decision is pivotal here. If its us, then it will cost us a pick between 18-30. If not then we will have 2 free hits before the Brownless pick.
Or are we after a young star in Walsh?? Our Pick 11 and next years 1st...to Carlton??
Or something with the Suns?? Do they need all their picks this year??
Interesting few weeks ahead.
For what its worth I'd try and pry Sean Darcy from Freo now rather than later. For Pick 11?? Nah a little too high. But if we could turn it into two picks in the 20's i'd give pick 22 or 26 for him and keep the other lets say Pick 25.
Cheers Boys.

Yeah agree that a pick in the 20's for Darcy is about right. Pick 11 (soon to be 12) is too much and overs at this point in time. If we did offer that up for him, I'd be expecting a decent pick coming back our way. It certainly looks like we're still looking at getting a ruck in despite Stanley's improved form. Maybe Smith and / or Abbott will be moving on?

Gossage on SEN today saying Freo priority is Lobb and West Coast's is Kelly.

I hope WC will come to the table with good compensation for us....I can't see us being interested in their Gaff compo pick and a sweetener but who knows what we will accept? I really hope we take a hardline stance given his contracted status..

I think we should be at least asking the question re McCartin, even just to see what the Saints would want in a trade.

Despite how much promise he showed earlier this year, it's far too early to lock in Ratugolea as our key forward saviour (either as a 2nd key forward to help out Hawkins, or as numero uno when Hawkins hangs up the boots in a few years); and I just don't rate Buzza at all to be honest.

Freo haven’t shown any desire to trade Darcy, they look to have set him up as the long term replacement for Sandi, think it would take overs to get him.

I think we should be at least asking the question re McCartin, even just to see what the Saints would want in a trade.

Despite how much promise he showed earlier this year, it's far too early to lock in Ratugolea as our key forward saviour (either as a 2nd key forward to help out Hawkins, or as numero uno when Hawkins hangs up the boots in a few years); and I just don't rate Buzza at all to be honest.
Look I wouldn't mind him but it has to come down to what we have to give up? In your mind what do you think his worth Slug?

I thought there was a rule the AFL had that limited trading away future draft picks - effectively to save a clubs future from dreadfully short term thinking?

If we trade a first rounder for Mccartin then the club only has itself to blame

Like any "rule" the AFL brings in, it can be adjusted to suit. Either bring the rule in or don't but if it's in, enforce it. No wriggle room.

Look I wouldn't mind him but it has to come down to what we have to give up? In your mind what do you think his worth Slug?

Not sure really - I'd say a first rounder is definitely too high.

A second rounder? Maybe, but it would depend on where in the second round. A mid/late second rounder - say pick 30 or so - and I would probably be interested.

That's not taking anything else (our actual picks, points for father sons etc) into account though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched the game on tv, yeah your right he’s a gun, I’m thinking definite top 10 player at the moment and if he has a blinder GF could end up in the top 5. By the way did you hear what happened in the final qtr of that game? Massive balls up that could’ve cost North the game.
The news is North Adelaide had 19 on the field at the start of the last quarter and for the time that occurred they scored 1.2, 8 points, when they won by 5. But the Eagles captain didn't inform the ump or ask for a count, rather an official asked someone, which is apparently not the prescribed action. Anyway, SANFL (which I am learning after moving here is 20 years behind the times bunch of vested interests) is deliberating, so at this point no-one knows who is playing in the Grand Final !! I am loving local footy over here - the insults are great old school ones like 'I'd like to buy real estate of that umpire' - and they even have got Dragon to play at the Grand Final (so kitch they will probably be better than the Black Eyed Pea's) !! By the way Lukosious (however you spell it) played for the Eagles, and looks a long way from ready to compete with men at a higher level. Think however takes him will need to be patient.

What is Mcartin’s best game at AFL level? Not a loaded question, I have never seen him play well, but I don’t make a habit of watching St Kilda. Genuinely curious. Has he taken hold of a game?

You could say the same of Cockatoo I guess, and I would not be letting him go.

I really like him as a junior.. but a few things have changed since then. I suspect he would be a lot better if he had been brought along just as Hawkins was... Mooney was great for him. Put him into our side atm.. and he is playing along side Hawkins.. he certainly doesn't get the best defender.. his game was built on being a ripper set of hands.. he is not a great kick or a great athlete.Maybe he just doesn't fit AFL but id like to see him at a club that is a winning club before totally dismissing him.. He is not an R1 now.. and the StK footy club probably do not want to give him away for less.

His best game? Im not sure .. needs a Saints supporter

Really think Rohan is not worth draft picks except late (post 60), as you already have the risk of his salary against not playing much. To be hard headed, Cockatoo has been a bust of a low first round pick as he has hardly played (despite looking the goods). How much more competitive would we have been the last few years if we had Jake Lever or Isaac Heeney or Toby McLean - all taken well after Nakia. A fit Nakia would make a huge difference to us, but we are probably down to a 50% chance of that happening and this is probably the last year we coming up for his body to deliver. If he came good with Fogerty, James, etc we would materially improve but its a high risk. Which is why to me bringing in Rohan, McCartin, etc seems to be just doubling down and asking for trouble. I really think our club needs to improve in testing and predicting durability when drafting and trading.

Just got home from the SANFL prelim between North Adelaide and the Eagles. Connor Rozee played for North Adelaide and was incredible. Chasing down small fast players, taking species over ruckman at key times to turn the game. They were 8 goals down and got up by 5 points. He was fundamental to this win against real men, and he just wants to be the one to do the hard work to turn it around. Damn, he is good. I hope he gets to our pick but I suspect he will rip out another dominating performance in the grandie next week and go too early.
unfortunately no chance to get to our pick but looks an absolute star in the making. just makes such good decisions with ball in hand along with his obvious athletic traits

Geez the McCartin thread on the Saints board is scathing !! Fair to say they don't rate him at all. It's worse than a Cam Guthrie thread.

Be a rare time that is board is offering more up than they are asking. Most saying a pick in the 40's and run over there.

It's a worry that they watch him so much and don't rate him at all. I just think of how long it took for Hawkins who was very similar to Paddy. Tbone was unfit, could take the occasional super mark. Was a very dodgy kick and lacked a lot of confidence but you knew he had talent. He did have the advantage that the ball was coming in 65+ times a game with some pretty decent mids kicking it his way. People forget he only just made the 2011 finals team in his 6th year.

Is Paddy the same or is he just a dud. I think the Swans will also get involved given they have his brother and players going the other way.

They would hate knowing they used a no 1 pick on him. What an absolute **** up that was.

Maybe he has talent but he is lazy and unfit. His diabetes is a real problem, as it has been mentioned he is very unprofessional looking after it. I'd say his diet is probably the same.

Then you have the multiple concussions which looked like ending his career. Followed that up with injuries.

Just doesn't have the attitude and professionalism required. Do not want. Sydney can have him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back