Rumour GFC 2018 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the game on tv, yeah your right he’s a gun, I’m thinking definite top 10 player at the moment and if he has a blinder GF could end up in the top 5. By the way did you hear what happened in the final qtr of that game? Massive balls up that could’ve cost North the game.

Yeah how do you mess up interchanges abd not realise for 4 mins? If true they could have the 8 points they scored in that time taken off them yet in a 5 point win. They're still investigating.

I'm really liking Bailey Scott if we can get him with a few of those picks in the 50s...

He looks like he has an excellent work rate, and his kicking looks decent enough, there is no bad ball drop on his kick.

The other thing, I wouldn't be surprised if he shoots the lights out with the endurance type tests at the combine.

However, I don't think he will come to us, I reckon Suns (home boy) and North will have the edge for his services.

Oscar Brownless has a big engine from memory, he ran a few good time trials back a few years back. But he doesn't look as clean or strong over the ball as a Bailey Scott.

McCartin's not worth a R1 and we have no R2 and we need the later picks for Brownless.

I'd trade 11 for 2MP but with Lynch leaving Suns won't do it.

Was more raising examples to illustrate the point that club exploring the ability to trade our first could be more about leaving no stone unturned in the pursuit of talent.

(Didn’t raise McCartin at all - and wouldn’t either).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ive got a really bad feeling we are going to do something stupid like tradw our 1st for Martin or Darcy, KP will burn if the club does that.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
While I don’t think he’s worth a first round pick and def not the one we have this year. At least Darcy is 20 and is key position which we don’t have many options in. I’m all for picking up as many players under 22/23 as we can. Martin is a no for me if he was a free agent it would be ok but not for a trade.

What is concerning is that article says feeling have asked about trading this year and next years first round picks. Combine that with the players we’ve been linked with and it makes for scary reading.

I do agree if the club trades those picks for older players fans will be very upset rightly so.

The more I look at this draft the more i want to get lower, I wonder if anyone would bite on our pick from next year thinking that we might slip a long way down the ladder.

McCartin's not worth a R1 and we have no R2 and we need the later picks for Brownless.

I'd trade 11 for 2MP but with Lynch leaving Suns won't do it.

IF we could get him for R2.. would you do it..his health issues are a fair weight.... the again I look at Brayshaw , and how he has returned....

The article by Jay Clark .... it did clarify one thing that I was unaware of. We knew about trading our R1 this year , Exceptions etc.. but I didn't know that any restriction that the 2 in 4 will NEVER affect the current year R1.

So in fact if we fail to have 2 in 4 , it will on prevent us from trading our future picks.

So I agree that there would be very few players id consider trading our R1 for .. and 2mp type would be one. Josh Kelly etc. Players that would improve our side but have years and years ahead of them. Certainly not Jack Steven or that type. I cant say I totally happy with this clarification.. is it like employing a sugar addict at a lollie factory and say ..have all you want. ... NO .. but if Geelong wants they could literally go an indefinite period without R1 picks.. yet because we don't have a future to add to our current r1 with any trade.. so we may struggle to ever get that big fish.

https://www.geelongadvertiser.com.a...s/news-story/9bf016a3b2b22dcad2821f12b06b6137

Last edited:
The more I look at this draft the more i want to get lower, I wonder if anyone would bite on our pick from next year thinking that we might slip a long way down the ladder.

It would take a Gold Coast or someone with multiple picks this year.. to have a bit of an eye on the future as well as having plenty of picks already for this year.
Gold Coast could draft bomb this year like nothing since the establishment of GC and GWS .. and the latest development of GC trying to rip up May's contract so he is a FA agent.. if the AFL allow that.. then it would be open slather for clubs to do that for any player when convenient.

While I don’t think he’s worth a first round pick and def not the one we have this year. At least Darcy is 20 and is key position which we don’t have many options in. I’m all for picking up as many players under 22/23 as we can. Martin is a no for me if he was a free agent it would be ok but not for a trade.

What is concerning is that article says feeling have asked about trading this year and next years first round picks. Combine that with the players we’ve been linked with and it makes for scary reading.

I do agree if the club trades those picks for older players fans will be very upset rightly so.
I thought there was a rule the AFL had that limited trading away future draft picks - effectively to save a clubs future from dreadfully short term thinking?

If we trade a first rounder for Mccartin then the club only has itself to blame

I thought there was a rule the AFL had that limited trading away future draft picks - effectively to save a clubs future from dreadfully short term thinking?

If we trade a first rounder for Mccartin then the club only has itself to blame

That article specifies that that any restriction only affects "futures"..a club could always trade its current year pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would take Dahlhaus as a FA and Rohan for 2019 2nd or 3rd Rounder. Maybe Preuss but highly doubt it! Hopefully we take 11 to the draft, trade 2 of the 4 picks in the 50's for a second rounder and then use them wisely! Would love a Conor Rozee or Curtis Taylor especially if we are possibly losing Menz, Linc, Gregson gone and too many undersized small forwards

Anyone know who Geelong may be interested in at the draft? Obviously Oscar Brownless will arrive and maybe Bailey Scott (unlikely) but anyone actually linked with the Cats yet??

My Question is Rohan going to be an upgrade on what we have already developing, will his inclusion stagnate the development, and is it really worth his salary for output.

I'm really liking Bailey Scott if we can get him with a few of those picks in the 50s...

He looks like he has an excellent work rate, and his kicking looks decent enough, there is no bad ball drop on his kick.

The other thing, I wouldn't be surprised if he shoots the lights out with the endurance type tests at the combine.

However, I don't think he will come to us, I reckon Suns (home boy) and North will have the edge for his services.

Oscar Brownless has a big engine from memory, he ran a few good time trials back a few years back. But he doesn't look as clean or strong over the ball as a Bailey Scott.

thats good assessment.... .. in a way both would bring similar attributes ..I thinking Billys boy has shown he can do more than just be on ball.. he may well not be just a mid long term. Both would be good adds.. we just have to wait and see.

Gossage on SEN today saying Freo priority is Lobb and West Coast's is Kelly.

Yes but he doesn't say how it gets done... he speaks with plenty of western voices in his ears..

Eagles into him big time... jungle drums beating... not very specific

Last edited:
What is Mcartin’s best game at AFL level? Not a loaded question, I have never seen him play well, but I don’t make a habit of watching St Kilda. Genuinely curious. Has he taken hold of a game?

You could say the same of Cockatoo I guess, and I would not be letting him go.

Three goals including a clutch contested mark and conversion in the Saints' draw with GWS this year.

A few two goal returns against decent teams (Melbourne this year, Richmond in round 23 last year).

Certainly hasn't torn a game apart the way Hawkins had at the same age, but also worth noting that Hawkins played in a premiership team at the same age and was also foil to an AA key forward in Mooney (and later Podsiadly).

I agree re Cockatoo. I wouldn't trade him for a first rounder, yet all we've seen so far is glimpses.

Would be willing to take our chances with McCartin if we could get him cheaply but I imagine St K would only be willing to accept a first round pick given their investment in him.

So looks like we (GFC) are looking at all their options with either this years Pick 11 or 12?? Or next years 1st rounder (8-18)
So what is Sean Darcy worth Pick 19-25 early second ?? What is Stefan Martin worth 30-40 ?? Peter Wright 20's ?? Wingard ??
Or are we trying to slide back into the 20's this year ?? Port's 21 & 27?? Suns 26 & 29?? Carltons 24 & 25 ?? Crows 15 or 19 & 37 ??
Bailey Scott's decision is pivotal here. If its us, then it will cost us a pick between 18-30. If not then we will have 2 free hits before the Brownless pick.
Or are we after a young star in Walsh?? Our Pick 11 and next years 1st...to Carlton??
Or something with the Suns?? Do they need all their picks this year??
Interesting few weeks ahead.
For what its worth I'd try and pry Sean Darcy from Freo now rather than later. For Pick 11?? Nah a little too high. But if we could turn it into two picks in the 20's i'd give pick 22 or 26 for him and keep the other lets say Pick 25.
Cheers Boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back