Rumour GFC 2019 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do wonder what the AFL would pay Joel Selwood to captain the Gold Coast for two years to get them on track. 3 mil?
Joel wouldn’t leave the club he would rather be a one club champion

Plus with getting married I doubt he would want to unsettle the home to go to that rabble

Saints and Stevens today... fattening the heifer ...
[/Qi
AFL is looking to bring in a mid-season trade next year. Would occur during the league-wide bye (next year there are no 6/6/6 byes).
Was saying that if we had it this year, he might've jumped ship mid year when it looked like he could have had the #1 ruck spot at a club in contention as opposed to getting 75 hit outs at VFL level at a club sitting 17th

Agreed.
I wonder if he looks for a trade this off season.

I do wonder what the AFL would pay Joel Selwood to captain the Gold Coast for two years to get them on track. 3 mil?

He wont go no matter what they offer.

Last edited:
Not disputing Selwood will play on & likely see out his contract

Just saying not sure Joel & Jack Steven are actually mates or great mates - maybe they have become friends or friendly through football, but not sure it's really going to worry Joel if the last 2-years of his contract are played with Steven as a teammate or not
Sure I read an article in the addy about 5 or 6 weeks back about their friendship. Have tried to track it but struggling to find

'Big man Braydon Preuss put on a rucking masterclass in the VFL on Sunday, winning an incredible 75 hitouts against Collingwood while also collecting 19 disposals.'

Yet still stuck behind gawn. He must be dumb as dogshit to go the melb and be stuck behind one of the best rucks in the game. Wtf was he thinking.

Why the hell would he want to do that?. They are a rabble, and not like he isn’t well paid here. Plus his best mates are here.

Sure I read an article in the addy about 5 or 6 weeks back about their friendship. Have tried to track it but struggling to find

He's great mates with Jarryn Geary, and that goes back to like U13 days from Bendigo - this is from a couple of years ago but discusses their friendship

Everyone knows that I was good mates with Joel Selwood growing up. We have a really good group of mates who are from Bendigo but don’t live there anymore. Two of them live in Geelong. They followed him to Geelong and now they have their own little families. Another mate moved to Melbourne and did uni here and is doing really well here. We catch up every month and for birthdays. All our girlfriends and wives get on really well. The five of us catch up all the time. We have been pretty tight.

He's great mates with Jarryn Geary, and that goes back to like U13 days from Bendigo - this is from a couple of years ago but discusses their friendship

Everyone knows that I was good mates with Joel Selwood growing up. We have a really good group of mates who are from Bendigo but don’t live there anymore. Two of them live in Geelong. They followed him to Geelong and now they have their own little families. Another mate moved to Melbourne and did uni here and is doing really well here. We catch up every month and for birthdays. All our girlfriends and wives get on really well. The five of us catch up all the time. We have been pretty tight.
Different article to the one I saw.
Dont want too many saints. Might become them lol
Now Marshall and Steven Id consider.

I was musing on this exact possibility this morning. There's no way Selwood would do this, or Geelong would allow it, while he's still under contract and capable of good footy, but at the end of his contract I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that it could happen. The Suns are in dire need of leadership and by 2021 or 2022 we will be looking to transition to a new captain...so who knows?

I was musing on this exact possibility this morning. There's no way Selwood would do this, or Geelong would allow it, while he's still under contract and capable of good footy, but at the end of his contract I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that it could happen. The Suns are in dire need of leadership and by 2021 or 2022 we will be looking to transition to a new captain...so who knows?

Yeh, I wasn’t suggesting he would be interested or it is something likely to happen, but I would not be surprised if they did start offering massive salaries to guys like Selwood for leadership/culture as much as playing ability. The Hodge success at Lions almost guarantees that an older AFL star is going to get a massive payday on the Gold Coast at some point over next few years. It will be interesting who takes them up on it.

The AFL would pay a Selwood/Josh Kennedy (syd) almost any amount as a last ditch effort to help re-start the club.

Yeh, I wasn’t suggesting he would be interested or it is something likely to happen, but I would not be surprised if they did start offering massive salaries to guys like Selwood for leadership/culture as much as playing ability. The Hodge success at Lions almost guarantees that an older AFL star is going to get a massive payday on the Gold Coast at some point over next few years. It will be interesting who takes them up on it.

The AFL would pay a Selwood/Josh Kennedy (syd) almost any amount as a last ditch effort to help re-start the club.

Hodge-esque moves will definitely happen more and more, especially since the mystique associated with being a "one-club man" carries much less weight now that the likes of James Kelly and Luke Hodge have shown that it's possible to accept a late-career move to another club without effecting your reputation or legacy at the club you're most associated with.

Think that might have been Joel and Geary.
They have been mates since U/13 days

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet still stuck behind gawn. He must be dumb as ******* to go the melb and be stuck behind one of the best rucks in the game. Wtf was he thinking.
If he's still at Melbourne after this trade period then I won't bring his name up again, but IMO we should target him.

Selwood is looking near cooked now, which isn't unexpected given how he's played the game. I doubt he'll be playing well enough by 2021 or 2022 to be able to offer GC much.

Hodge-esque moves will definitely happen more and more, especially since the mystique associated with being a "one-club man" carries much less weight now that the likes of James Kelly and Luke Hodge have shown that it's possible to accept a late-career move to another club without effecting your reputation or legacy at the club you're most associated with.

It's true Kelly played for two clubs but he was different because he'd actually retired but subsequently accepted an offer from Essendon to come out of retirement after nearly their entire AFL list was suspended.

So it was more 'post career' than 'late career'!

My mail on TK says the same.
It's not concrete either way but it's more likely than not he'll be a Cat next year.
Apparently some of it comes down to the AFL approving a clause in any contract that the Cats will trade TK at any time should he request it.
But that mail is a touch old now.

4y x $800k will do that to a man.......

Tom Browne saying cats linked to Shaun Higgins as back up to losing Kelly

3yr deal and have to trade for him. Aged 32, 33 and 34.

Say it aint so
He’s been reading Jay Clark’s article. Claiming it as his own probably. Just changing the words from “they could chase” to “they are chasing”

Just having a look, what’s the value of jack Steven in your views? A second rounder for a 29 yr old arguably in his prime, 8th in the Brownlow last year and a 4x BNF?
He's been a great player which will make this trade really difficult when you consider he's now overweight and 30. Any trade has to consider the risks. His best will probably still be great but for how long? Whatever we give up will be to get 20-40 games in return. How do the saints value a 4x bnf winner? Probably differently to us. Some saints fans look at this and see a Dangerfield trade scenario. Some cats fans look at the same trade and see Jordan Lewis trade.

He's the same age as Jordan Lewis was FYI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back