Rumour GFC 2020 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WARNING TO ALL VISITORS TO THE GEELONG BOARD. You are - for the most part - welcome to discuss the current list management & trading situation at Geelong. However, this is our board, so be respectful of the home board posters & don't inflame arguments (make your points succinctly and move on). And if you're just here to troll, then don't bother or you will be enjoying a holiday

The biggest opportunities will be with clubs matching bids but I doubt any pick in the top 20 comes into play here. More like offloading one in the 20s for 51 + future second (tied to Geelong) or 30s for 51+future third (tied to Melbourne). Our future first will have to come into play to get into the teens and I don't think we'll pay that. I reckon our strategy will be around preparing to go hard for someone falling into the 20s who we like but otherwise only making small moves (if at all).

I tend to think the most reasonable upgrade for us may be a pick in the 20's... Gold Coast for sure will want to trade 27... but most are aware of that.. I doubt its a bargain to get it, I also think they may try to swap it before the draft .. which means we dont get to assess if the player we want is there.

So I can see the case to getting an earlier pick.. but I can also see why we may just sit on our hands. unless a Tarheny situation happens where we rate the player well above the pick value.

And who could that be ..who knows. We usually start to get whispers about who we are interested in.. but with the pick we have we probably cant be interested in any one specific player ..unless its a stealth player that Swells knows is flying undetected on the radar

Talk that Essendon could trade pick 8 to Collingwood for 16 and a F1. We might be able to then trade with the bombers for 16.
Thats a scenario where live trading will be interesting - for example if that were to happen, and one of a couple of players we rated top 10, or fit a glaring need are there, then you dont need to trade till that moment. Will be quite pressured when the draft teams are weighing up a known outcome in front of them and next years possibilities.

Also in the unlikely event we traded a future 1st for current 1st on the night it would be to get henry not bruhn anyway imo.

Most clubs would asses our Fr1 as late teens... what sort of pick in the R1 are we going to get?... I think we accept Henry is out of reach this year and we try to get him ..in 2021;2022 etc... in the mean time. we look at someone who we think can add something in the range we can get to without too much pain..

I think it was Gee Class Loco that mentioned this kid but I do like the way he reads... captain, animal, goal kicker, missed footy ... that reads like the kid is driving in the Swells boulevard

Luke Pedlar (Glenelg/SA)

Midfielder/forward, 182cm, 80kg

The Prince Alfred College captain missed a lot of footy through injury this season but, on the back of a standout opening month in the under-18s and a brief stint for PAC, he’s still received plenty of interest. “He makes his teammates play harder and feel safer. He’s an animal who wins the ball through grunt, toughness and a want for physicality,” state coach Tony Bamford said last week. And that’s what clubs love about Pedlar, who wasn’t a part of the SA Academy Hub. But he also spreads well, breaks lines – most often after he’s broken a tackle – and is terrific around goal, booting six goals in his four SANFL under-18 appearances.

Last edited:

Looks like the crows are implying they will bid on Jamara at no 1. Cause they consider him the best player in the draft.

Good. I'm sick of academy players not getting bid on, because teams don't see the point if they don't have rights to them. It skews the system, and the teams with the academy players get them even cheaper. Which is bullshit. Make them pay for them if they are good enough.

Looks like the crows are implying they will bid on Jamara at no 1. Cause they consider him the best player in the draft.

Good. I'm sick of academy players not getting bid on, because teams don't see the point if they don't have rights to them. It skews the system, and the teams with the academy players get them even cheaper. Which is bullshit. Make them pay for them if they are good enough.
It seems that if Adelaide try to draft him at no 1, the Bulldogs will have to match by using 29,33,41 and 42 which will move our 51 up nicely.

I know what they are saying but I will believe when I hear them bid.. ..they were going to match on Crouch too weren't they

They have nothing to lose by doing so.

They never wanted Crouch to stay, it was all posturing to try to force StK into giving him a bigger contract, so they could get bigger compo.

we will see. There has never been a bid that early ( I cant think of one)... ..do they really want to convert their picks from 1 into 2 ?

we will see. There has never been a bid that early ( I cant think of one)... ..do they really want to convert their picks from 1 into 2 ?
If Western Bulldogs match then Adelaide were never getting Jamara in the first place meaning Adelaide still get first pick of available players...

AFL should maybe consider setting up an independent panel (e.g. cal twomey) that suggest "ranges" (top 10, first round, second round) for academy, FS selections, etc. and make clubs pay appropriately rather than relying on opposition bids.

Most clubs would asses our Fr1 as late teens... what sort of pick in the R1 are we going to get?... I think we accept Henry is out of reach this year and we try to get him ..in 2021;2022 etc... in the mean time. we look at someone who we think can add something in the range we can get to without too much pain..

I think it was Gee Class Loco that mentioned this kid but I do like the way he reads... captain, animal, goal kicker, missed footy ... that reads like the kid is driving in the Swells boulevard

Luke Pedlar (Glenelg/SA)

Midfielder/forward, 182cm, 80kg

The Prince Alfred College captain missed a lot of footy through injury this season but, on the back of a standout opening month in the under-18s and a brief stint for PAC, he’s still received plenty of interest. “He makes his teammates play harder and feel safer. He’s an animal who wins the ball through grunt, toughness and a want for physicality,” state coach Tony Bamford said last week. And that’s what clubs love about Pedlar, who wasn’t a part of the SA Academy Hub. But he also spreads well, breaks lines – most often after he’s broken a tackle – and is terrific around goal, booting six goals in his four SANFL under-18 appearances.
PAC? An education there cost more than my house

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They have nothing to lose by doing so.

They never wanted Crouch to stay, it was all posturing to try to force StK into giving him a bigger contract, so they could get bigger compo.
Seems the Crows were also hoping that at least one other team would be genuinely interested in Crouch so that they could get something of a bidding war going - with no other team showing interest in him they fell on their sword & accepted the compo pick

Do we have dirt on Stuart Dew or something?

He just feels sorry for us.:disrelieved:

Theyd be passing that pick regardless doesn't hurt them and maintains a good relationship with a rival club.

Starting to really get a ton of respect for how GC go about things. Really turning things around, and it shows by the core group that are sticking around and building something special. Posted this on the main thread, and I honestly think this is a big part of why we continue to have these deals in our favour with GC:

"Honestly think it's more to do with the fact that we have a decent trading relationship with GC, after we dealt in good faith with the Ablett deal. They weren't gonna use it and we needed it, so they threw us a good pick for more points next year.

They did the same last year giving us Pick 58 for Zac Smith, and then trading us their future mid first concession pick for 27 - to take Jeremy Sharp.

Amazing what happens when you actually don't piss clubs off lol. It's why our negotiations will be better with GWS in future, as opposed to how Essendon and Adelaide will go after their antics this trade period.

List manager's have very long memories, and much like your own club, professionalism is always remembered and always rewarded. We're just reaping the benefits of that in this pick swap"

Starting to really get a ton of respect for how GC go about things. Really turning things around, and it shows by the core group that are sticking around and building something special. Posted this on the main thread, and I honestly think this is a big part of why we continue to have these deals in our favour with GC:

"Honestly think it's more to do with the fact that we have a decent trading relationship with GC, after we dealt in good faith with the Ablett deal. They weren't gonna use it and we needed it, so they threw us a good pick for more points next year.

They did the same last year giving us Pick 58 for Zac Smith, and then trading us their future mid first concession pick for 27 - to take Jeremy Sharp.

Amazing what happens when you actually don't piss clubs off lol. It's why our negotiations will be better with GWS in future, as opposed to how Essendon and Adelaide will go after their antics this trade period.

List manager's have very long memories, and much like your own club, professionalism is always remembered and always rewarded. We're just reaping the benefits of that in this pick swap"

just quietly they've become my 2nd favourite team, see a lot of them on free-to-air up here .. Dew doing a decent job, and they've got some really good kids to build around - big Witts a good leader, too.

just quietly they've become my 2nd favourite team, see a lot of them on free-to-air up here .. Dew doing a decent job, and they've got some really good kids to build around - big Witts a good leader, too.

I'm starting to head that way too (3rd team as my partner's team in Carlton is my second and I absolutely love Walsh).

Love how they're going about it and reckon Rowell is gonna be one of my faves over the coming years. Going about things the right way and could see them become a real force next year or the following one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back