Rumour GFC 2022 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reading this u16 review... a few players took my eye... it made me wonder just how far out can you plan and target ... the info aquired is built over several years ... I doubt its just about 2023 and the future trades this year.

With Ashcroft ... I guess the advantage for Brisbane is ...they could play the FSon angle and push that if Will nominates Bris then they will do all tehy can to ensure they take his brother... ..where as if he doesn't nominate Brisb they could be playing apart. Then a couple of Falcon kids..with a fair bit of growing to do ... just what they will be in the 2024 draft who knows.. but reading on them makes me wish we had them FSon.

#10 Levi Ashcroft (Sandringham Dragons)
18/12/2006 | 179cm | Midfielder/Forward

The brother of highly-touted 2022 prospect, Will, Ashcroft is quite clearly cut from the same cloth. Spending plenty of time forward with stints in midfield, he snared two goals and displayed high-level smarts. With a deft step, he took on opponents at will and directed play in front of him, keeping the play flowing to prove a creative member of the forward group. With greater kick penetration and accuracy, he could well have finished with another couple of majors to cap off a promising outing.

#18 Brady Hall (Geelong Falcons)
9/03/2006 | 191cm | Defender

Donning the long sleeves, Hall stood out in that aspect but also for his work in defence. He worked well in tandem with Travaglia to press a high line, intercept, and then attack on the rebound. Hall often went for the ball first when defending, instead of worrying about his direct opponent, which made for sound intercept play via spoils and marks. He was another handy distributor by foot too, with plenty of them afield on Saturday.

#27 Zac McInnes (Geelong Falcons)
13/01/2006 | 196cm | Key Forward

The dominant bigman afield, McInnes was far and away Country’s biggest attacking threat – despite starting in the ruck – with a game-high five goals. Often times he proved too big and strong for the Metro defenders, using his reach and dexterity to cleanly mark overhead. McInnes capped off his aerial work with terrific finishing via set shots, but also snared a couple in open play to prove he isn’t a one-trick pony. He kicked consecutive goals twice in the match, making good on his dominance while it lasted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say he's more your high half forward type. I do like him a lot but I'd be using our 1st on the best available mid or a tall depending on who slides/if any.

It's a good draft to have a few top 40 picks imo.

And I'm only basing my opinions of footage I've seen of entire games ... Being at the actual games gives you better insight on running patterns, etc that you don't normally see from replays.

It's hard to make a real definitive call..

I agree on needs...but he sounds draftable for someone....

#10 Charlie Clarke (Sandringham Dragons)
4/01/2004 | 182cm | 75kg

Flashy, stylish and hard working, the Port Melbourne Colts junior played in the midfield for Vic Metro and was influential with his burst and attack. Racked up centre clearances where he went in for the hard ball then backed his strength to bust tackles and send it forward. Won the footy in all thirds of the ground and his work rate was obvious by how often he had his hands on the ball, as he got to repeat stoppages and even if he didn’t directly impact, often got the handball receive in the follow up play. His dash was highlighted by a play where he won the ball in defensive 50, took two bounces through the midfield and hit up a target in attack, kept running and received it back. Although on that occasion he didn’t finish off, he did end the game with two goals, the second of which was from outside 50 when he took on the man on the mark. At times his kicking was rushed and missed the target but when he had more time he was able to seize up a target and execute his skill making a couple of kicks to the attackers’ advantage. A late pass to Riley Weatherill when he was within range also displayed unselfishness to cap a nice showing.

No to Worpel and Mathieson - we need players who not only get the ball but use it well. Only Kroeger of our latest crop seems to be an A-grade kick of the gonad.

And we need players with speed. Our current mid-fielders are slow coaches bar Danger and to some extent Guthrie.

I hope Neale will sign very soon; he's an AFL player for sure.

(PS. Indigenous, white, Anglo are not in themselves racist. It's the context that may or may not make them so. There is nothing racist necessarily in observing or even speculating about a person's ethnicity unless the context makes it so.)

No to Worpel and Mathieson - we need players who not only get the ball but use it well. Only Kroeger of our latest crop seems to be an A-grade kick of the gonad.

And we need players with speed. Our current mid-fielders are slow coaches bar Danger and to some extent Guthrie.

I hope Neale will sign very soon; he's an AFL player for sure.

Thats a fair observation on their foot skills .. but do you have suggestion for who we should chase ..if we are looking at that 24-28 hole? Do we just suck it up... or do we try to add a mature in system body?

AFL 2022: Jury still out on where young Adelaide Crows swingman Fischer McAsey fits in at West Lakes​

There were high hopes for Fischer McAsey when Adelaide drafted him at No. 6 in 2019. But he has not played AFL for two years. Here is an in-depth look at where he is at.
Matt Turner Matt Turner
Follow

@mattturner1986

6 min read
June 18, 2022 - 6:00PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

0 comments

01:54
Crows down Eagles in the clash of battling birds
Adelaide Crows has snapped a five-game losing streak despite an unconvincing performance against West Coast Eagles after a first ... more
View more related videos

Running back with the flight of the ball and taking a courageous mark is the enduring image so far of Fischer McAsey’s young AFL career.
The moment happened in just his sixth game — against St Kilda in July 2020 — and was an encouraging early sign of what the future might hold for a player who had been Adelaide’s highest ever draft pick eight months earlier.
McAsey, now 21, took another eye-catching, contested grab on Wednesday.

It was during a match simulation at Crows training, where he was lining up with a B team.
McAsey has featured only four times at AFL level since that Saints game — all in 2020.
The 197cm Victorian has played 26 SANFL matches during the past two years.
Watch every blockbuster AFL match this weekend Live & Ad-Break Free In-Play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >
To try to unlock his best form, Adelaide earlier this season switched McAsey from defence, where he starred as a junior, winning Vic Metro’s Most Valuable Player at the 2019 national championships, to attack, the part of the ground he took that mark against the Saints.
Although the Crows are in rebuild mode and have used 36 players already this year, McAsey remains out of their AFL team, unable to force his way in at either end of the field.

It prompts questions: where is the third-year swingman at?
Will he become a quality player at West Lakes or does he need to change clubs?
Was selecting McAsey with pick 6 that year the right call?
[PLAYERCARD]Fischer McAsey[/PLAYERCARD] (left) at Crows training earlier this year. Picture: Sarah Reed

Fischer McAsey (left) at Crows training earlier this year. Picture: Sarah Reed
Long-time recruiter Matt Rendell told SEN this month that when he was at Collingwood in 2019, he did not have McAsey that high due to doubts about his agility and competitiveness.
Adelaide is — at least publicly — buoyant about his progress.
So too is his manager, Robbie D’Orazio from Connors Sports, who says the full intention is for McAsey to be at the club next year and hopefully have a 10-year career there.
“The Crows have been really supportive,” D’Orazio told News Corp.
“I think he’s got a great opportunity.
“He’s working really hard on and off the field, and we’re seeing real improvement.
“Let’s not forget, these kids are young and not everybody’s going to make an impact straight away.
“Taller players, especially, take time.”
McAsey’s start to his career has been very challenging.
After that promising debut season, his dad, Chris, had a major health scare while McAsey was back home in Melbourne for the first time in months due to coronavirus travel limitations.
Understandably, it shook McAsey.
The situation was made harder by Covid border restrictions stopping him from spending more time with his close-knit family.
[PLAYERCARD]Fischer McAsey[/PLAYERCARD] with [PLAYERCARD]Matthew Nicks[/PLAYERCARD] after being drafted in 2019. Picture: AAP/Michael Dodge

Fischer McAsey with Matthew Nicks after being drafted in 2019. Picture: AAP/Michael Dodge
In some games early last year, McAsey looked uncompetitive and rumours circulated he would exit West Lakes at the end of 2021 when his contract expired.
But he never rang D’Orazio wanting to leave the club and head home.
He only held off from re-signing to work through personal matters, including Chris, who played one game for St Kilda in 1983, recovering.
“I wanted to make sure everything was right before I made a decision,” McAsey said when he inked a two-year extension in April 2021.
McAsey played 18 SANFL games last season and finished eighth in the Crows’ state-league best-and-fairest.
Then came another summer setback.
He sustained a stress fracture in his femur in December, sidelining him for six weeks.
McAsey returned in time for round 1 this year, but a month later, he was shifted forward.
His first showing was encouraging — two goals, nine disposals and six marks in an 11-point win over South Adelaide.
McAsey’s form since has been mixed — two majors and 21 touches combined in his next three games.
He suffered a lower leg injury in his most recent match against Norwood, ensuring a two-week lay-off.
Wednesday’s impressive moments at training showed he was not only over the issue, but gave the Crows further confidence his best form was not far away.
“He’s really come on leaps and bounds over the first half of the season,” Adelaide senior assistant Scott Burns said midweek.
“He’s gone forward, a bit of a new lease on life.
“Watching training, you would’ve seen signs today where you thought ‘that’s pretty impressive’.”
Senior coach Matthew Nicks said on Friday that McAsey was well ahead of where he was 12 months ago.
“He’s training well, playing well,” Nicks said.
[PLAYERCARD]Fischer McAsey[/PLAYERCARD] tussles with Western Bulldog Ryan Gardener. Picture: Matt Roberts/AFL Photos/via Getty Images

Fischer McAsey tussles with Western Bulldog Ryan Gardener. Picture: Matt Roberts/AFL Photos/via Getty Images
McAsey’s next step is getting an AFL game.
Adelaide concedes it is still trying to identify what position best suits him.
It is understood his preference is to remain in one spot, rather than be moved around, until he plays consistently at the elite level.
His versatility could be a weapon down the track but sticking to a position for now could be best for his form.
While the Sandringham Dragons product spent most of his draft year and first two seasons on the list as a defender, he also played forward as a junior.
“A lot of these guys coming in as key-position players can find it’s challenging at times and mixing that up can be a good thing,” Nicks said.
“I like the way he attacks it as a forward, he’s got no fear when it comes to marking contests.
“We’re just trying to polish and refine that a little bit more now so it’s a bit more consistent.”
Off the field, McAsey has been working on his mindset and being more outspoken in the footy environment.
An introvert, he was initially a little uncomfortable with the tag of being the club’s highest ever draft pick until Riley Thilthorpe in 2020, before starting to tackle it head on.
He is said to have really improved his confidence and has a happy life balance, which is helping his football, particularly over the past six weeks.
[PLAYERCARD]Fischer McAsey[/PLAYERCARD] marks for Vic Metro in 2019. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Fischer McAsey marks for Vic Metro in 2019. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images
McAsey and a mate have started a mindfulness business, Uplift Community, offering wellness education and tips, breathing courses and “community connection events”.
Weekly Instagram posts have been about building self-worth, anxiety relief and getting outside into nature to improve wellness.
“Our movement was created to make positive changes to human lives,” an Instagram post reads.
Being able to spend more time with his family this year due to borders reopening and having his parents come to Adelaide to watch him are also helping McAsey.
So with Adelaide sitting 15th with a 4-8 record and committing to picking the team on the future as much as the present from here this season, when will McAsey play AFL again?
Nicks and Burns say he is knocking on the door, along with several others, and form will still determine who is chosen.
“Unfortunately he missed last week … so he probably needs a couple of runs under his belt before we’re really confident taking him into an AFL game,” Burns said.
Like McAsey and those around him, Nicks is remaining patient.
“I can go back over the history of players who haven’t played for two years and have gone on to play 300 games,” he said.
[PLAYERCARD]Fischer McAsey[/PLAYERCARD] with his parents, Gina and Chris, at the 2019 draft. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Fischer McAsey with his parents, Gina and Chris, at the 2019 draft. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images
The jury remains out and some critics have already written McAsey off as a draft bust.
But it is still early.
No AFL games between now and this time next year would probably concern Adelaide.
By then, the club and football world will get a much clearer picture of McAsey’s development, as he heads towards the end of his contract.
If he was keen for a change of clubs after this campaign, there would be suitors, but he planned to repay the Crows’ faith and make it there.
A full pre-season will be a big help.
At his best, McAsey has bucket hands.

More Coverage​

Power back in finals race but win comes with heavy priceMalthouse: Have Dees’ woes broken Max Gawn?De Goey ‘cleared’ over Bali bender video
Wednesday’s mark was just one passage of play in a single match simulation against teammates at a midweek training in June.
But for someone who has had a tough start to his career and is helping people find positives in their lives, those little moments will be important until he has his next Saints-like one on the big stage

What are people views on this bloke... I wouldn't have a clue on him

cc6ab4a855ce37bc77be44532ca43c73

What are people views on McAsey... I wouldn't have a clue on him

I would prefer to see if we could get Worrell... but if he were to ask for a trade to us, then considering needs , he would be worth a shot...depending on trade cost. He is contracted so I doubt we get him for anything less than a pick in the 2nd round.

I would prefer to see if we could get Worrell... but if he were to ask for a trade to us, then considering needs , he would be worth a shot...depending on trade cost. He is contracted so I doubt we get him for anything less than a pick in the 2nd round.
Do you think a 2nd round pick for a bloke who can't get a game? I wouldn't know but I'd say a 3rd round, but I don't know anything about him

Do you think a 2nd round pick for a bloke who can't get a game? I wouldn't know but I'd say a 3rd round, but I don't know anything about him
The Crows have little to lose by holding him..he is already half way to a bust. Trade him for a R3 ..and then watch him come good at Geelong... thats the definition of sideshow bob stepping on a rake..

If we did recruit mcasey I would hope they did a lot of due diligence in seeing where his attitude is at. I would hope also there would be a lot of frank conversations about expectations and starting him in the 2s

Edit: No one is trading a 2nd for him. To be honest the crows probably just want him out at this stage. They're in an awkward position with him. I genuinely think they'd consider a 3rd

If we did recruit mcasey I would hope they did a lot of due diligence in seeing where his attitude is at. I would hope also there would be a lot of frank conversations about expectations and starting him in the 2s
If the Crows decided to load up for a pitch at JHF in 2023 or some other SA wannareturn ... then maybe a future pick gets it done .... I agree on what would be required... an open and frank discussion and exploration. Reading that article about family issues and of course covid restrictions softens my resolve about him a bit but we would still need to blunt. It would get down to whether he had other options imo, after being away from family maybe a chance to play for a Melb team would appeal more.

I find the original Rookieme is interesting .... in his pros and cons ..his areas of deficiency would be an area of conern for us...as we like guys who are agile, and can run ..... In essence .. did the Crows just pull the trigger too early... they originally predicted 10-20

Screen Shot 2022-06-19 at 8.34.35 am.png

Last edited:
Would McAsey really be interested in coming to us? We already have with Henry and De Koning, two effectively young key defenders if you consider that the coach seems completely enamoured with Kolo to play as a third tall with Stewart. I can't see FM getting a game whilst we maintain this structure. Unless they were prepared to play SDK and FM as the two main key defenders and Henry is seen as a third tall, then he just doesn't get a game.

If FM is wanting to return to Victoria then surely Collingwood, Bulldogs, and North are far more likely to be able to offer him consistent games in their AFL teams.

Edit: I do think we need more coverage with our KPD but that's probably better achieved via either the draft or trading for a guy that is prepared to predominantly play VFL and be seen as an emergency only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back