Not open for further replies.
Much appreciated šŸ’

I'll be in the minority here.
1st With our first pick we have id go after a KEY FORWARD

2nd pick we need to go after a midfielder/wingman with leg speed

3rd pick id go after a Key Defender

I think we have plenty of young inside midfielders

This is not a key forwards draft.

There is no way Oliver is at the Dees next year. He has packed it in for the year.

I think the opposite. His contract makes him untradeable so he is certain to stay there next year.

Imagine if we had Luke Davies Uniacke

Hes exactly the explosive mid we need.

But every club will go for him and i doubt he picks us.

This is why i want bailey smith though-he comes with some risk due to the knee and mental health but he is that same explosive type of acceleration mid and we need that.

Well we will need to hopefully find the surprise one out of the draft, as we do need one

I doubt we will the cattle isnt there in this pool.
This years draft and trade needs to be mids (ideally smith in a trade and one or two big bodied mids in the draft) plus a small back with a late pick and a ruck in a value trade
We are better off to give neale 12 months and if by then its clear hes a bust we will draft or trade for a good kpf then.

Is Oliver toxic enough that the dees are willing to trade him while still paying a huge portion of his contract? Someone out there will take him on at 6x $600k but that'll leave the dees coughing up that themselves.

Is Oliver toxic enough that the dees are willing to trade him while still paying a huge portion of his contract? Someone out there will take him on at 6x $600k but that'll leave the dees coughing up that themselves.

I dont think any club would take him for 6 years with the issues he has. 3 maybe.
Which is why he wont be traded anywhere unless he agrees to rip up his contract-and why would he do that because hes getting paid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he's truly weighing them down more than lifting them up they'll consider offers. It'll be up to them, but they won't burn their own house down out of spite.

Yeah but gc could do it as they had academy picks and r1s coming out of their earholes.
Melb dont have that and their best players are ageing. They cant afford to attach the picks to him that would be required to get rid of him.

They can't keep burning a million dollars a year on their worst player. Something is up. They either need to find a way to make him one of their best again or find a way to exit his contract gracefully

Certainly will be an interesting watch.

It could go sooo many ways.

I got no clue what will happen... but if Oliver continues this form, wowee something is extremely wrong.

They can't keep burning a million dollars a year on their worst player. Something is up. They either need to find a way to make him one of their best again or find a way to exit his contract gracefully

But there is no way to do the latter so they will have to work out how to do the former.

Yeah but gc could do it as they had academy picks and r1s coming out of their earholes.
Melb dont have that and their best players are ageing. They cant afford to attach the picks to him that would be required to get rid of him.
I'm not saying they'll package up 1000+ dvi to go with him, just that they could find something that would work.

It depends on what is actually happening within the club.

I'm not saying they'll package up 1000+ dvi to go with him, just that they could find something that would work.

It depends on what is actually happening within the club.

Yes but it would rely on another club doing a really stupid deal and thats not realistic.

If your mail on Smith and Oliver coming is correct, we'll have bugger all collateral to left to trade up.

Do wonder though that if we really do fall in a heap and end up with a top 10 pick (likely 2 in that case with Stengle gone) there's a part of me that would just want to go to the draft with that kind of arsenal.

Bring in two more elite young mids with early picks, and the next gen midfield would be closing in on finished.

Not from a development POV of course...that's going to take a while, but in terms of getting the talent in the door, we'd just about be there.

Personally Iā€™m hoping that the Oliver stuff is reevaluated after recent results.

Like you Iā€™d prefer to hit the draft albeit I wouldnā€™t be averse to trading for Smith for the right price.

Yes but it would rely on another club doing a really stupid deal and thats not realistic.
Yeah but you're only really putting forward two outcomes. There's middle ground where Melbourne retain some payments and get a pick for that. Melbourne themselves are recent examples of this with grundy.

This is a long contract with some other issues but it doesn't seem completely unsolvable

Yeah but you're only really putting forward two outcomes. There's middle ground where Melbourne retain some payments and get a pick for that. Melbourne themselves are recent examples of this with grundy.

This is a long contract with some other issues but it doesn't seem completely unsolvable

IF Clarry says that he wants out Iā€™d say that a trade will more than likely be facilitated. What that looks like I have absolutely no idea. But I would hope that with his current contract we would exercise caution in giving up too much.

IF Clarry says that he wants out Iā€™d say that a trade will more than likely be facilitated. What that looks like I have absolutely no idea. But I would hope that with his current contract we would exercise caution in giving up too much.
I know you can't reveal much of your source, but I've heard similar that the deal was very close to getting done with us last year.

The clubs just couldn't agree on the value, with Clarry's contract + off-field issues, which checks out.

Just with whispers going around and what you've said yourself, it feels like it's going to take a massive change of direction from our club for Oliver & Smith not to be here next year.

Now, on current form, we might be reconsidering that direction...but if Scotty's comments on rebuilding are anything to go by, I'd be betting that they're taking the '2015 2.0' approach this off-season, rather than hitting the draft.

I don't know how to feel about it personally, but I'm mentally prepared for it, and would be far more surprised if we're sitting in here on draft night discussing who to take with two first round picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back