Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

He'll stay on for depth and it will be too much to pay out, unless he hangs up the boots voluntarily which is not out of the question.

Smith will go, English is also another question mark as he hasnt renewed either so there's an 800K salary in question
If you're going to hold bad contracts the best time is now when the cap is going up

Would take Nash 1000 times over Macrae.

Nash & Smith would amend our midfield issues. One as the big bodied extractor, the other receiving it from him bursting from stoppage.

Nash & Smith, with another pre-season into Conway, Bruhn, Dempsey, Clark, & Holmes, with pinch hitting from SDK, PFD, Stewart, & Bowes and we'll be fine IMO.

Not 'best midfield in the comp' level or anything, but fine nonetheless, which is a level we haven't reached consistently since late 2022.

Alas, I reckon he stays at Hawthorn anyway. Loves Mitchell, and owes him a lot for reinvigorating his career. Was very much in delist calculations in the late Clarko era.

I'd be dirty if we had a player in that situation leave after building them up from ground zero, so can understand why Hawks supporters don't expect him to go, and would be upset if he did.

Do you think McRae will want to stay on as a back up option thou?
What's your opinion on what we will have to give up for Baz Smith?

I'd like to think/believe Macrae remains pragmatic about his future, I dont see him playing for another club at this time, but I dont think he'll stay on anywhere beyond his current contract

As for Baz, I really dont know. I would probably say a second rounder is where it would settle, but that's just a guess

If you're going to hold bad contracts the best time is now when the cap is going up

A fair bit depends on what happens with Smith, English, Daniel. Smith will go, Daniel possible trade bait. If English goes that frees up cap for the Darcys & JUH's. The English situation is hard to read at the moment

I'd like to think/believe Macrae remains pragmatic about his future, I dont see him playing for another club at this time, but I dont think he'll stay on anywhere beyond his current contract

As for Baz, I really dont know. I would probably say a second rounder is where it would settle, but that's just a guess
Surely we'd be giving you more than a second rounder?

I'm not his biggest fan in terms of what he is right now, but he's worth more than that.

Surely we'd be giving you more than a second rounder?

I'm not his biggest fan in terms of what he is right now, but he's worth more than that.

Second rounder + future pick maybe, couldnt see the Cats giving up their first for him

Would take Nash 1000 times over Macrae.

Nash & Smith would amend our midfield issues. One as the big bodied extractor, the other receiving it from him bursting from stoppage.

Nash & Smith, with another pre-season into Conway, Bruhn, Dempsey, Clark, & Holmes, with pinch hitting from SDK, PFD, Stewart, & Bowes and we'll be fine IMO.

Not 'best midfield in the comp' level or anything, but fine nonetheless, which is a level we haven't reached consistently since late 2022.

Alas, I reckon he stays at Hawthorn anyway. Loves Mitchell, and owes him a lot for reinvigorating his career. Was very much in delist calculations in the late Clarko era.

I'd be dirty if we had a player in that situation leave after building them up from ground zero, so can understand why Hawks supporters don't expect him to go, and would be upset if he did.
I am more than happy to disrupt the Hawks midfield growth by taking a player out of it 😍

On paper, our team appears well-positioned. However, when you compare it to a team like the Bulldogs you get a different perspective.

Even North's team looks impressive. How many A+ players do we currently have on our list? How many Sheezels do we have?

Love Geelong but we do need a refresh, whilst realising we are in the 8.

On paper, our team appears well-positioned. However, when you compare it to a team like the Bulldogs you get a different perspective.

Even North's team looks impressive. How many A+ players do we currently have on our list? How many Sheezels do we have?

Love Geelong but we do need a refresh, whilst realising we are in the 8.

holmes is the only one but what can you do when you dont have years of high picks to get the sheezels. Coincidentally we playing north next week down at tassie. the way they are playing, could be the make-or-break game of our 2024 season in terms of finals.

Watching that game on Sat night, if I was smith I would be choosing Hawthorn.
What if he was basing his decision on watching the Cats v Hawks game two weeks ago? Who would he pick?

Players don't make significant decisions on their future based on one game of football. I have no idea on where he will land, but I would be very confident in saying a decision either way won't be based on the results that occurred in one round of footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From somebody who spoke to Bevo post game.

Bailey Smith will definitely nominate Geelong. Geelong are old and slow in the midfield and are desperate for ready made replacements. We will drive a very hard bargain and bleed them for everything we can get.

What if he was basing his decision on watching the Cats v Hawks game two weeks ago? Who would he pick?

Players don't make significant decisions on their future based on one game of football. I have no idea on where he will land, but I would be very confident in saying a decision either way won't be based on the results that occurred in one round of footy.

agree with this, for some reason this year is very even. we not a 50pt team better than hawthorn and we are definitely not a 50 pt worst than the bulldogs.

just need to hit form right time and that right time is about now.

I was at the Hawks v Pies game today he did some nice things but I wouldn’t have any great desire to have him in our team. The Hawks looked really good their run and spread tore the pies apart. Look a different side to the one we played and Ginni is a real leader on the field for them.
Connor Nash is very handy and is a much better player than Bruhn and Atkins fir a start. He is very tall at 198cm, able to lock down when required but can rack up clearances/tackles being top 20 in the league for both. If we can pick him up without giving up picks he immediately improves our weakest part of the ground.

A midfield of Smith/Nash/Holmes/Bruhn/Dangerfield/Clark puts Geelong immediately into premiership contention.

Connor Nash is very handy and is a much better player than Bruhn and Atkins fir a start. He is very tall at 198cm, able to lock down when required but can rack up clearances/tackles being top 20 in the league for both. If we can pick him up without giving up picks he immediately improves our weakest part of the ground.

A midfield of Smith/Nash/Holmes/Bruhn/Dangerfield/Clark puts Geelong immediately into premiership contention.
And we need to get mids in and there isn’t much choice.

Geelong’s first round pick is a fairly straightforward trade for Smith, I would have thought.
Yep... and that's cheap for a walk up starter and contributor from Round 1.
***as long as it's not pick 10 (meaning we miss the 8). we'd want a pair of 3rd rounders back.

Last edited:
Geelong’s first round pick is a fairly straightforward trade for Smith, I would have thought.

I think we'll want some late picks back as we will likely have a lot of list spots to fill. Stanley, Bews, Hawkins and Duncan could all retire. Parfitt, Tuohy, and Rohan are also out of contract, and Willis, Hardie, Murdoch, and Foster's days seem numbered. I expect a big turnover and we won't be able to fill all of those spots with free agents and rookies.

From somebody who spoke to Bevo post game.

Bailey Smith will definitely nominate Geelong. Geelong are old and slow in the midfield and are desperate for ready made replacements. We will drive a very hard bargain and bleed them for everything we can get.
Old and slow in the midfield? We’ve been playing Holmes, Dempsey, Bruhn and Clark basically every game - we are young there which is why we’re overreliant on Danger and Stewart, and on honest triers in Atkins and Bowes.

Nash vs Bruhn is an odd comparison, one about to turn 26, one recently turned 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back