Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Old and slow in the midfield? We’ve been playing Holmes, Dempsey, Bruhn and Clark basically every game - we are young there which is why we’re overreliant on Danger and Stewart, and on honest triers in Atkins and Bowes.

Nash vs Bruhn is an odd comparison, one about to turn 26, one recently turned 22.
Think what Warhorse is getting at is Nash is the better player right now, and likely for another year or two, hence the comment on reopening the premiership window.

I think he'd be super for us. Even if we just got him to do what he's done for Hawthorn.

He's been immense in protecting Day & Newcombe while they've developed, and we'll need him to do the same for Holmes, Bruhn, & Clark.

Bit of yin/yang if we can pull it off. Nash to protect the youngsters, Smith to take the young core up a gear in quality.

As long as we're keeping our future first, we can turn our attention to the forwardline post Cameron now that we've future proofed the backline and midfield.

Nothing would be 'complete' per say - it never is in AFL footy - but we'd be pretty close.

Old and slow in the midfield? We’ve been playing Holmes, Dempsey, Bruhn and Clark basically every game - we are young there which is why we’re overreliant on Danger and Stewart, and on honest triers in Atkins and Bowes.

Nash vs Bruhn is an odd comparison, one about to turn 26, one recently turned 22.
Not really. Nash is fairly new to the game, and had a point of difference with his height. Bruhn and Atkins are more vanilla. Nash would be fighting for midfield time with Bruhn and Atkins and is better than both

Think what Warhorse is getting at is Nash is the better player right now, and likely for another year or two, hence the comment on reopening the premiership window.

I think he'd be super for us. Even if we just got him to do what he's done for Hawthorn.

He's been immense in protecting Day & Newcombe while they've developed, and we'll need him to do the same for Holmes, Bruhn, & Clark.

Bit of yin/yang if we can pull it off. Nash to protect the youngsters, Smith to take the young core up a gear in quality.

As long as we're keeping our future first, we can turn our attention to the forwardline post Cameron now that we've future proofed the backline and midfield.

Nothing would be 'complete' per say - it never is in AFL footy - but we'd be pretty close.
Bringing in Smith and or Nash are going to push current players out of the midfield rotation. That's likely to be Bruhn/Atkins

Second rounder + future pick maybe, couldnt see the Cats giving up their first for him
We've had no problem giving up our first for players we've wanted in the past, even if we could have perhaps spent more time negotiating to get a less costly outcome. We seem to want to land our targets with minimal fuss.

Bringing in Smith and or Nash are going to push current players out of the midfield rotation. That's likely to be Bruhn/Atkins
Not with our outs, or our current lack of depth in there.

They'll push Bowes back before they push Bruhn out, and if Duncan goes they'll be forced to do that anyway.

Dangerfield will be used sparingly, and if the last few years are anything to go by, he's every chance to miss half the year anyway.

Stewart is a given. He's actually been really solid in there, but if we were to bring in two quality mids, I suspect he'll be moved back, or at the very least cut his CBA in half.

Holmes is similar to Stewart, we'll keep him back or play him full time in the midfield depending on the game.

Atkins is the one you're right on, and potentially Clark too if he doesn't take a leap over the off-season.

If it happens, it'll end up being:

Starting:
Nash
Smith
Bruhn

Pinch hitting/bench/forward:
Dangerfield

Swapping between defence/midfield depending on the week/Second rotation:
Holmes
Stewart
Bowes

Depth/Last man in
Clark
Atkins

We're not going to go from having no midfield depth, to suddenly not being able to fit them in just by bringing in two players, particularly when a lot of them can play multiple positions.

Last edited:
Not really. Nash is fairly new to the game, and had a point of difference with his height. Bruhn and Atkins are more vanilla. Nash would be fighting for midfield time with Bruhn and Atkins and is better than both
“Fairly new” in his 8th year on an AFL list, 7 years and 91 games playing at AFL level…

Atkins and Bowes’s spots will be in danger next year, not Bruhn’s, who is 22 and who we chased and traded for a R1 pick.

Anyway, if we brought in Nash, it would be for Scott to turn him into a Blicavs replacement as a second ruck from 2026.

My preference for Nash (if we had him) would be for him to take Blitz's position.

Yes Nash is not playing second ruck... but he is 198cm and would only need to compete (it's not like Blitz is tapping down guy's throats these days and he now offers very little around the ground).

Nash is automatically an upgrade on Blitz once the ball hits the ground and is a decent midfielder in his own right.

Blitz is just about cooked for mine and Nash could cover that role + add more ball-winning grunt into the middle for many years.

Nash has guys like MOC + Knevitt covered by a long way and offers some versatility that Bruhn/Atkins/Clark etc can't.

He'd be a solid FA acquisition... although no superstar.

Atkins is so disrespected around here it's a joke. 6th in the B&F in a premiership year then runner up last year. The guy is one of the truly elite defensive mids in the comp.

Nash is a decent 4th banana attacking mid behind Worpel, Day and Newcombe but struggled badly early in the year without Day there.

I'm happy to get Nash if he doesn't cost a huge wage. He'll provide depth in an area of weakness and maybe we have other roles in mind (backup ruck?). But Atkins is clearly a better player at the moment.

My preference for Nash (if we had him) would be for him to take Blitz's position.

Yes Nash is not playing second ruck... but he is 198cm and would only need to compete (it's not like Blitz is tapping down guy's throats these days and he now offers very little around the ground).

Nash is automatically an upgrade on Blitz once the ball hits the ground and is a decent midfielder in his own right.

Blitz is just about cooked for mine and Nash could cover that role + add more ball-winning grunt into the middle for many years.

Nash has guys like MOC + Knevitt covered by a long way and offers some versatility that Bruhn/Atkins/Clark etc can't.

He'd be a solid FA acquisition... although no superstar.
If SDK has to keep rucking the we probably have to send Blitz to D50 so it's not the worst free agency move

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nash will quietly resign with Hawthorn in the coming week. The examples of a best 22 player leaving a side on the rise are vanishingly rare. Unless there is a go home factor.

Not worth discussing.
It does seem very likely that Nash would stay. Why leave for a little more money as we are not going to overpay?

Atkins is so disrespected around here it's a joke. 6th in the B&F in a premiership year then runner up last year. The guy is one of the truly elite defensive mids in the comp.

Nash is a decent 4th banana attacking mid behind Worpel, Day and Newcombe but struggled badly early in the year without Day there.

I'm happy to get Nash if he doesn't cost a huge wage. He'll provide depth in an area of weakness and maybe we have other roles in mind (backup ruck?). But Atkins is clearly a better player at the moment.
Sorry but that's rubbish. Nash is a much better player than Atkins. He is a great defensive midfielder.

They'll push Bowes back before they push Bruhn out, and if Duncan goes they'll be forced to do that anyway.

Dangerfield will be used sparingly, and if the last few years are anything to go by, he's every chance to miss half the year anyway.

Stewart is a given. He's actually been really solid in there, but if we were to bring in two quality mids, I suspect he'll be moved back, or at the very least cut his CBA in half.

Holmes is similar to Stewart, we'll keep him back or play him full time in the midfield depending on the game.

Atkins is the one you're right on, and potentially Clark too if he doesn't take a leap over the off-season.

Starting:
Nash
Smith
Bruhn

Dangerfield

Holmes
Stewart
Bowes

Depth/Last man in
Clark
Atkins

We're not going to go from having no midfield depth, to suddenly not being able to fit them in just by bringing in two players, particularly when a lot of them can play multiple positions.
Just bringing in Smith alone makes the midfield much better. Smith and Holmes bring that explosiveness with Danger pinch hitting. Then LDU end of next year 🤷‍♂️

Starting:
Nash
Smith
Bruhn

Dangerfield

Holmes
Stewart
Bowes

Depth/Last man in
Clark
Atkins

If Nash is part of our starting midfield then we don't have a top 8 midfield.

Nash is also a no for me. he is a 4th, 5th banana in a midfield which dont get me wrong plays a vital part in the midfield core. but why would a competent team go out and recruit a 4th banana? you get those from within, atkins, bowes, bruhn, etc can do that job just from natural progression.

if you go out and recruit, should aim for difference makers which i believe only smith left if you talking about out of contract guys. and i am speaking as NOT a huge fan of smith.

Nash is also a no for me. he is a 4th, 5th banana in a midfield which dont get me wrong plays a vital part in the midfield core. but why would a competent team go out and recruit a 4th banana? you get those from within, atkins, bowes, bruhn, etc can do that job just from natural progression.

if you go out and recruit, should aim for difference makers which i believe only smith left if you talking about out of contract guys. and i am speaking as NOT a huge fan of smith.
Versatility and a point of difference. He is 198cm. Maybe they see him as a 2nd ruck or covering as a key back. Maybe a blicavs replacement. CS loves versatile players.

I'm personally a big fan of smith. I think he will surprise a few on here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back