Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Another stupid post as Brent Maloney was a rookie pick, jhye Clark is a top ten pick, which has a significant weighing in your first handful of seasons until you establish yourself as a b22.

Moloney was never consistently in our b22 and played 8 games his first season and then 15 in his second and was pretty ordinary in a lot of them. We had a fairly young team back then and played a lot of young kids.

Players like this get traded all the time as part of a bigger deal involving picks.

I didn’t think I had to insert common sense into my original post and say * only referencing b22 senior players”. It was just common sense this was what was meant.

Brent Maloney style fringe player trades happen all the time because the club knows they are replaceable
Brent Moloney only played 15 games in his second season as he had a finger operation to repair a tendon. The club wanted him to play through and get the operation at the end of season, and he had it done straight away. I remember him standing on the boundary line showing us and he had a button on his palm which was holding tension on the tendon.

So Moloney would of played every game that season and its why they rushed him back last game before the finals as he had healed up.

Of all the things discussed in here "how good was Brent Moloney in his Geelong years" is not one I thought we'd spend this much time on.

Cross Jye Caldwell off our list (I saw his name mentioned somewhere along the line), he has just extended for a further 4-years with the Bombers.

Of all the things discussed in here "how good was Brent Moloney in his Geelong years" is not one I thought we'd spend this much time on.

Let's face it though, it is going to be either Smith or take our picks to the draft, everything else is just noise. Hundreds of pages of discussing stuff that won't happen.

Let's face it though, it is going to be either Smith or take our picks to the draft, everything else is just noise. Hundreds of pages of discussing stuff that won't happen.
Yeah...Smith and maybe a fringle midfielder (Davies) type from another club. I don't think we will do a lot. Many players of interest are contracted....clubs always hold the power there as we have demonstrated with Kelly and Sav in recent times..

This was posted by a Bulldogs ITK bloke over on their Trade Thread about an hour ago...

"Early morning coffee chats (player manager, not someone who works at the Dogs, but speaks with our various teams / managers weekly).
- Smith to Geelong all but signed off on - Dogs expected to ask for two firsts"

Gonna be another "fun" Trade Period where one side says we will do "this for this", other side will say we want "XYZ to be included"
Bunch of random back and forth until last few days where "nothing happens" and a billion posts of speculation.

Deal gets done with no coincidence whatsoever right before the deadline when in reality its probably getting done on Day 1 of Trade Period but they want "excitement" for media to announce it since majority of Trade Period will be a bunch of spuds moving.

I am getting Me / Mahlepi vibes.

And I like it.
there is rumour and speculation and there is taking people for a ride and taking the piss.

Its a fine line and falling to the wrong side of it has consequences

GO Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This was posted by a Bulldogs ITK bloke over on their Trade Thread about an hour ago...

"Early morning coffee chats (player manager, not someone who works at the Dogs, but speaks with our various teams / managers weekly).

Gonna be another "fun" Trade Period where one side says we will do "this for this", other side will say we want "XYZ to be included"
Bunch of random back and forth until last few days where "nothing happens" and a billion posts of speculation.

Deal gets done with no coincidence whatsoever right before the deadline when in reality its probably getting done on Day 1 of Trade Period but they want "excitement" for media to announce it since majority of Trade Period will be a bunch of spuds moving.

I see both sides of the Smith argument.

I'm not overly keen on the risks - the ACL, his form the last season he played and the off field baggage - given the trade cost and the big contract he will demand.

The flip side is we desperately need a midfielder with a bit of x factor and short of spending a couple of years in the wilderness to draft them with top 10 picks, Smith is our best shot of potentially addressing that, at least this off season where the pickings are very slim. I also expect the pickings to remain slim given that GWS and GC are both competitive at the moment, and those two clubs were the major source of wantaway players, plus the significant increase in the salary cap means that every team has cash to retain players if they really want to.

We end up with a "top 4" fixture next year and I could easily see us finishing ~12th in 2025 so not keen on involving our future first round pick.

Dogs will ask for two first rounders.

We will try and offer up a package of draft picks excluding the FR1 like we did to the Pies with Ollie Henry.

The equilibrium position would normally end up that FR1.

I did read on the D&T board a while back though that the Dogs have more father sons next year. So maybe we could get away with this years first plus FR2 & FR3 for F/S points for them as they may not value the FR1 as highly as us or other clubs if it would just get chewed up with a bid anyway.

Yeah...Smith and maybe a fringle midfielder (Davies) type from another club. I don't think we will do a lot. Many players of interest are contracted....clubs always hold the power there as we have demonstrated with Kelly and Sav in recent times..
i am starting to come around with Davies, dude dont mind the hard stuff in the bottom of packs. exactly the type we need.

It's going to be a very looooonnnng trade period. The Smith deal (if true that he will nominate us as his preferred destination), is going to be a long, painful negotiation.

In fairness to the Dogs, we would do the same and try to get everything we can out of the deal.

But it's going to be painful.

IF the Bulldogs are going to hold out for 2 x Rnd 1 picks, we need to find another club on the first day that we can trade a F-2nd or F-3rd to as that takes the F-1st off the table

Deal gets done with no coincidence whatsoever right before the deadline when in reality its probably getting done on Day 1 of Trade Period but they want "excitement" for media to announce it since majority of Trade Period will be a bunch of spuds moving.n
Ive asked Kate Beckinsale out on a date too.

I can ask for whatever I want...

Dont mean its gonna happen - and shockingly it didnt.

So ask away Bulldog friends... you aint getting that for a bloke with red flags in his past coming off an ACL.

And if you CAN get 2 x Rd 1 for him I strongly suggest you take it.

GO Catters

We are still knee deep in it for Oliver. That’s never gone away. And I think if Bulldogs play hard ball, we might try to get a deal for Oliver done first and return to the Bulldogs and say, “ok these are the pieces left, Smith is out of contract. Where from here?” Getting rid of picks with other players we are targeting will take away the perceived leverage they have, remembering he’s out of contract. Similar to what we did with Ollie Henry. Blow up the drafts for the next two years to go all in now and for the future. We have enough developing guys. We need proven talent. And by all accounts, that’s exactly what we will be doing.

Also, side note: the side in it for Petracca who is making noise is Collingwood. They believe they could make whole sale changes. JDG out and others to get the picks needed for Petracca. Melbourne however will not land this happen. But Melbourne are going to cop ANB and I think Oliver wanting out. Among others. The culture there is that bad.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

i am starting to come around with Davies, dude dont mind the hard stuff in the bottom of packs. exactly the type we need.
He looks to me to be a more physical version of Knevitt.

I am pro Knevitt as I think he's been pretty unlucky the way things have fallen for him in the seniors this year and he has enough afl level traits that I think he can be turned into a player. But Davies looks similar with maybe a bit more speed and defensive pressure.

I could see a version of the future where Knevitt ends up being a KPD and Davies takes on a bit of a Blitz role.

Not his first time in the hoops either

Screenshot_20240814_113119_Chrome.jpg

Ultimately we are going to have to churn through that mid section of the list a bit and give players a go and move plenty on. If we can add mid-level 22 year old players like Davies to the mix, then giving them their shot buys us time to develop the kids we spend the picks on so seems like good planning to me.

IF the Bulldogs are going to hold out for 2 x Rnd 1 picks, we need to find another club on the first day that we can trade a F-2nd or F-3rd to as that takes the F-1st off the table
Yeah, our future first in the mix would just be bad planning.

I think we're getting ahead of ourselves even talking about it. When they ask for two first we'll just say no. The first offer is never accepted and the reality is the dogs have moved on already. Where do they even play him now?

We are still knee deep in it for Oliver. That’s never gone away. And I think if Bulldogs play hard ball, we might try to get a deal for Oliver done first and return to the Bulldogs and say, “ok these are the pieces left, Smith is out of contract. Where from here?” Getting rid of picks with other players we are targeting will take away the perceived leverage they have, remembering he’s out of contract. Similar to what we did with Ollie Henry. Blow up the drafts for the next two years to go all in now and for the future. We have enough developing guys. We need proven talent. And by all accounts, that’s exactly what we will be doing.

Also, side note: the side in it for Petracca who is making noise is Collingwood. They believe they could make whole sale changes. JDG out and others to get the picks needed for Petracca. Melbourne however will not land this happen. But Melbourne are going to cop ANB and I think Oliver wanting out. Among others. The culture there is that bad.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
If we did land Oliver then I assume that whatever Melbourne gives us to take him we would then pass on for Smith. Maybe hold one of the two firsts for ourselves even?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back