Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Or we just walk away from Smith?

Couldn’t help myself

I know that's your ideal scenario, but if the club has invested a couple of years in talking with him, negotiating terms etc, they're not walking away

We all know a deal will be done - we'll pay more than some will be happy with but it'll be less than what some Bulldogs fans will be happy to receive

We are still knee deep in it for Oliver. That’s never gone away. And I think if Bulldogs play hard ball, we might try to get a deal for Oliver done first and return to the Bulldogs and say, “ok these are the pieces left, Smith is out of contract. Where from here?” Getting rid of picks with other players we are targeting will take away the perceived leverage they have, remembering he’s out of contract. Similar to what we did with Ollie Henry. Blow up the drafts for the next two years to go all in now and for the future. We have enough developing guys. We need proven talent. And by all accounts, that’s exactly what we will be doing.

Also, side note: the side in it for Petracca who is making noise is Collingwood. They believe they could make whole sale changes. JDG out and others to get the picks needed for Petracca. Melbourne however will not land this happen. But Melbourne are going to cop ANB and I think Oliver wanting out. Among others. The culture there is that bad.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

is the bolded part related. well documented oliver had to "win" the trust back from the playing group which is from one of petracca interview.

the recent petracca reports could just be him making noises to get some change into the club. if the change is booting out oliver, i wouldnt want to just take on the dude taking into account the assets invovled with a potentail oliver trade.

Regarding Smith i am sure the Dogs will ask for 2 firsts and i am sure we won't pay that.

It will end up being our first and either our second this year or our future second with maybe a few latter pick swaps.

Hell it is a very good chance that they have already agreed on a price and will be told by the AFL to wait till last day for the drama unless a bigger name moves this year.

I see both sides of the Smith argument.

I'm not overly keen on the risks - the ACL, his form the last season he played and the off field baggage - given the trade cost and the big contract he will demand.

The flip side is we desperately need a midfielder with a bit of x factor and short of spending a couple of years in the wilderness to draft them with top 10 picks, Smith is our best shot of potentially addressing that, at least this off season where the pickings are very slim. I also expect the pickings to remain slim given that GWS and GC are both competitive at the moment, and those two clubs were the major source of wantaway players, plus the significant increase in the salary cap means that every team has cash to retain players if they really want to.

We end up with a "top 4" fixture next year and I could easily see us finishing ~12th in 2025 so not keen on involving our future first round pick.

Dogs will ask for two first rounders.

We will try and offer up a package of draft picks excluding the FR1 like we did to the Pies with Ollie Henry.

The equilibrium position would normally end up that FR1.

I did read on the D&T board a while back though that the Dogs have more father sons next year. So maybe we could get away with this years first plus FR2 & FR3 for F/S points for them as they may not value the FR1 as highly as us or other clubs if it would just get chewed up with a bid anyway.

Going the FR2 & FR3 was my first thought, but not sure how well that will be received since AFL House are looking to play around with how those picks are used with F/S in the coming years. They already tried to switch things up this year and had to pull back after massive protest, but it's only a matter of time and could be as early as next year. Not sure the Dogs will go for picks that have an uncertain value.

Yep lets move on from Petracca. It's a pipe dream.

Baz is the big one, surely now with Barrass and Battle to Hawks, Baz door is left open to join Cattery.

Will be intrigued to see who else we go for?
Davies? Garcia? Bailey Scott?

Then some more down the line option
Fogarty? Cadman?
Baz is 5 years younger as well

No surprise dogs will ask for two first round picks, we’d do the same. Unlikely we’ll accept that as a straight swap but if Smith nominates he wants to come to us we’ll do what it takes to get him to the club. Hopefully we can get a couple of other players across to play some roles but Smith would be a huge difference maker.
Not quite at the same level but only Danger and Jezza compare to players we’ve bought across to the club in recent times.

We really need some more midfield options though, it’s amazing we’ve gotten this far with the efforts of most of our midfield. I think we’ll be trying to get one of the other available mids across like Oliver, macrae, Viney etc.

Oh and I was upset to lose Moloney he had good pace like Tenace did but he was tough at the ball and player unlike Tenace. It all worked out well for the cats in the end but I think Moloney would’ve found a spot in our teams going forward. But we also lost Prismal who may have played a similar role.

No surprise dogs will ask for two first round picks, we’d do the same. Unlikely we’ll accept that as a straight swap but if Smith nominates he wants to come to us we’ll do what it takes to get him to the club. Hopefully we can get a couple of other players across to play some roles but Smith would be a huge difference maker.
Not quite at the same level but only Danger and Jezza compare to players we’ve bought across to the club in recent times.

We really need some more midfield options though, it’s amazing we’ve gotten this far with the efforts of most of our midfield. I think we’ll be trying to get one of the other available mids across like Oliver, macrae, Viney etc.

Oh and I was upset to lose Moloney he had good pace like Tenace did but he was tough at the ball and player unlike Tenace. It all worked out well for the cats in the end but I think Moloney would’ve found a spot in our teams going forward. But we also lost Prismal who may have played a similar role.
As much as i think those players if they play at a high level they could help us i would prefer to try and get a younger mid in to go without our young emerging mids that can play together for the next 8+ years.

Holmes, Bruhn, Clark, Dempsey, Knevitt, Conway (health permitting)Smith(if we get him) is a pretty good bas 1 or 2 more pieces and continued growth would see this midfield become rather good.

I can short circuit a lot of hyperbole on where we sit.

As some have correctly ascertained from their own sources - Smith to Geelong is effectively done. There'll be some back and forward and the usual urinating competition between both clubs to appease the trade nuffies. But it's done. It will be the biggest (or one of the biggest) trades done so clearly the AFL wants to carefully stage manage how it plays out.

As for Oliver - it's not even remotely close to being an option. Has the question been asked and the discussion had - yes. But I'm told that under the list of "demands" and the structure of his current contract, it's well outside what Geelong are prepared to look at for someone with some obvious baggage. My sources (via player managers) say that Melbourne are not blinking on Oliver - but if it gets to a point of a player cleanout and change of coach at Melbourne then it will be game on. And for what it's worth, the same people are confidently telling me that the Petracca situation is a non situation. He won't be leaving Melbourne. Petracca and Oliver are committed to Melbourne and the way both contracts look makes it close to impossible that a deal would ever get them out of there. If Melbourne agreed to carry the level of future payment some clubs have asked then the members would burn the joint down. It would make the Brodie Grundy Collingwood situation looks like loose change.

What sort of a freak takes a cat for a walk?

Me with my Bengal. I don’t take him out as often now. He used to sit on the parcel shelf when doing the school run.

And they loved it when i walked him into the pet shop.

68d4f43dec6b5e51681b356706371228.jpg

c6ba44c5de2a8e671d023de9e574272a.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are still knee deep in it for Oliver. That’s never gone away. And I think if Bulldogs play hard ball, we might try to get a deal for Oliver done first and return to the Bulldogs and say, “ok these are the pieces left, Smith is out of contract. Where from here?” Getting rid of picks with other players we are targeting will take away the perceived leverage they have, remembering he’s out of contract. Similar to what we did with Ollie Henry. Blow up the drafts for the next two years to go all in now and for the future. We have enough developing guys. We need proven talent. And by all accounts, that’s exactly what we will be doing.

Also, side note: the side in it for Petracca who is making noise is Collingwood. They believe they could make whole sale changes. JDG out and others to get the picks needed for Petracca. Melbourne however will not land this happen. But Melbourne are going to cop ANB and I think Oliver wanting out. Among others. The culture there is that bad.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Oliver out for the season with a hand injury. I think someone on here said he was a W :anchor:

I wonder if they have cracked the its with him again.

I remember one day when in Geelong, there was a father with his 2 kids (not little, but approaching teenage years)

The father had a bird sitting in his shoulder, not interested in flying away and looked really contempt

One of the sons had a similar backpack to the above with a bird inside that was trying to look out and around
There’s a fella who frequently attends the car park at footy games with a rabbit on his shoulder
Don’t bother trying to get a photo or pat the rabbit
Doesn’t want a bar of it.

Like mate you have a rabbit on your shoulder, of course your going to get attention

INTRIGUE GROWS AROUND ‘RED-HOT’ GIANTS MIDFIELDER YET TO SIGN

GWS inside bull James Peatling is still yet to sign on the dotted line for the orange and charcoal beyond 2024, with a belief he is now well and truly on the radar of rival clubs thanks to his purple form patch.

Having picked up 16 coaches votes in the last three rounds – including a perfect 10 last weekend against Brisbane – Peatling looks to be in career-best form playing in his desired midfield role.

But as the Herald Sun’s Josh Barnes explained on Fox Footy’s Midweek Tackle, this season has been a slow burn for the 23-year-old before getting more game time.

“He’s in red-form, but he’s only just started playing in that GWS midfield; he’s played the last month in the centre square – before that, seven of his 11 games (this year) he was the sub,” Barnes said on Tuesday night.

“He wants to play as an inside midfielder, but it’s been hard for him to break into the team as a mid-season draftee from a couple of years ago.

“He is a New South Welshman, he has (had) a contract in front of him for a number of weeks, he hasn’t signed it.”

Peatling has played 41 games across his three and a half seasons at the club, and has been either the sub or subbed off in more than a quarter (11) of those games.

While not usually played close to goal, the Pennant Hills product proved early in his career he has craft in the area, kicking three consecutive hauls of three goals before his 10th game in the league.

And with the impending return of former captain Stephen Coniglio, he may be forced back inside the attacking arc if he is to hold his spot in the side.

“With Coniglio potentially coming back this week, it’s going to be interesting to see where James Peatling fits ahead of the finals,” Barnes added.

“I reckon some of the Victorian clubs would be right across him; you look at (his) numbers, he looks like someone who needs some senior opportunity and some faith,” host Jay Clark finished by saying.

The Giants tackle Fremantle at ENGIE Stadium this Saturday afternoon at 1:45pm AEST.

Would love to get Peatling, looks to be a special talent.

Calder... what would a trade be worth in your view?

Pick 100

Would O'Brien help with hit outs - yes

But then things fall away:

There's no questioning his ruck work stats this year, but he sits in below average to average for pretty much all other non ruck work categories when compared against his fellow rucks - tackles at 3.9 per games, intercept marks at 0.9 per game & 1%ers at 5.2 per game are the only areas he rates as above average to elite

Not sure he's necessarily the type of ruck that we'd chase as we do seem to prefer someone more mobile and that will impact around the ground - hence why we went with SDK for a month when Conway was unavailable and they weren't happy with Stanley

1723609788206.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back