Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Only way I'd even THINK about Oliver is if it was a Bowes Deal on steroids.

Like if they gave us two first rounders just to take his contract off the books, maybe. But absolutely not involving us giving up anything for him.
The Bowes trade was is getting a pick to take the player and the full contract. I think if an Oliver trade happened it would have to involve Melbourne taking a substantial amount of the contract. Maybe even then getting a pick too because that contract is so long and the risk is so high

Oliver you referring to? On what basis can you determine he’s “off the rails”? It’s actually patently untrue.

Someone i trust tells me the complete opposite. Theres a lot more with him than melbourne are letting on.
And most boards wont risk his issues and the length of contract.
Hes essentially untradeable due to the circumstances

My goodness the Oliver debate brings out the passion around here. I'm definitly in the under the right conditions, yes please side of the debate.

Maybe I am under estimating Melbournes need to get him out so I'm happy for them to contribute more of his contract and for the Cats to offer less than a second rounder in the trade.

If I was advising Clarry, I would tell him to renegotiate to add some performance conditions to the contract. Yes it might mean he is putting money at risk, but it looks necessary to convince a club to take him on. Its definitely in Clarry's best interest. It might be what saves his carrer. Managers are supposed to put their clients interests first.

Recently Eddie Betts and his partner helped Tyson Stengline understand that its not just about the money. They did Tyson and enormous service. Clarry's manager need to do the same.

If a deal cannot get done with another club Clayton might be the first breech of contract case in court in AFL history. If that happens Clarry ain't getting paid.

Geelong has a proud history of helping people get back on the rails. Tyson is an example, a memorable example would be Senior.

So yes, under the right circumtances, I would bring in a wayward 3 time all Australian premiership winning midfeilder.

With his lack of professionalism clayton would be absolutely stupid to offer to restructure his deal he would be throwing hundreds of k away. And a good manager wont advise him to. He has guaranteed money and hes going to keep it.

Not Geelong related, but Barrass locked in at Hawthorn next year. Was surprised to see King and Montagna break his game down during the week and highlight how statistically ineffective he is, especially for the coin he is reportedly signing on at.

Geelong have significant reputational leverage in any discussion about Oliver's trade to the club. Conditional on MFC being open to trade with us, I'd expect it will require both him and his manager to convince GFC to take him on its terms moreso than his own which still won't ameliorate most risk (even with the existing contractual terms re-negotiated). If he's getting good advice, he should have us firmly on his radar as one of a few clubs that could provide the systematic cultural and community support he may require to return to his capacity. But there will have to be significant immediate cost to him for this privilege.

With his lack of professionalism clayton would be absolutely stupid to offer to restructure his deal he would be throwing hundreds of k away. And a good manager wont advise him to. He has guaranteed money and hes going to keep it.
Agree he has a contract. But if he doesnt fullfil his contractual obligations he will be breeching his contract and won't get all the money. If it goes that way he will retire on "medical grounds" (not this season) with a negotiated settlement. Maybe half of the balance of the contract.

Someone i trust tells me the complete opposite. Theres a lot more with him than melbourne are letting on.
And most boards wont risk his issues and the length of contract.
Hes essentially untradeable due to the circumstances

Well I can tell you it’s complete bullshit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interested if any VFL watchers or ITK type have an opinion on George Stevens - is he capable of developing into a contested "Inside Bull" given his leadership qualities and size - I really hope so

I don’t think he’ll make it based on what I’ve seen in the VFL. I really like him, he just doesn’t have the athletic traits unfortunately.

The Bowes trade was is getting a pick to take the player and the full contract. I think if an Oliver trade happened it would have to involve Melbourne taking a substantial amount of the contract. Maybe even then getting a pick too because that contract is so long and the risk is so high

I’d take the contract if Oliver came with pick 5/6. The whole MFC is a basket case, not just Oliver. Just look at some of the Goodwin rumours. I’m confident we’d get him sorted.

Not Geelong related, but Barrass locked in at Hawthorn next year. Was surprised to see King and Montagna break his game down during the week and highlight how statistically ineffective he is, especially for the coin he is reportedly signing on at.

Yep! One of the most overrated players in the comp.

I don’t think he’ll make it based on what I’ve seen in the VFL. I really like him, he just doesn’t have the athletic traits unfortunately.
Is his best game at Geelong still the one filling in as a junior?

Agree he has a contract. But if he doesnt fullfil his contractual obligations he will be breeching his contract and won't get all the money. If it goes that way he will retire on "medical grounds" (not this season) with a negotiated settlement. Maybe half of the balance of the contract.
I think the threshold for fulfilling his obligations would probably just amount to turning up to training most of the time. The clauses around being medically unfit to play would be really tricky to write given the nature of player injuries etc.

Reckon Melbourne are just f*ed here

Tend to agree but with Oliver value so questionable, its hard to sell him as an asset.

So someone takes Oliver on and MElbourne pays75% wages for example, now the new team has Oliver but if he's broken as a player and not interested in playing or getting better the new team is paying 25% of his existence and getting nothing for it in reality.
Its an extreme view for sure but not that far fetched - especially if the scenery change has no effect and its getting further and further away time wise from his best.

Go Catters

If Melbourne pay 75% of his wage I'm signing him in a heartbeat. That's under $300k a year when average wage is already pushing $500k this year. He'd not be in your top 20 highest paid players.

At that point if it doesn't work out it's a pretty small impact on the cap anyway.

If Melbourne pay 75% of his wage I'm signing him in a heartbeat. That's under $300k a year when average wage is already pushing $500k this year. He'd not be in your top 20 highest paid players.

At that point if it doesn't work out it's a pretty small impact on the cap anyway.
I think his pay got indexed too so it's 1.3m or something a year. So 75% of his wage would be over 900k. Can't see Melbourne being that motivated

Well I can tell you it’s complete bullshit.

Thats fair enough but the person who told me has worked with clayton and would know. But im not saying change is impossible. I would be very surprised if we took that risk though.

Yep! One of the most overrated players in the comp.

He will help them because their kpd stocks are paper thin and he can be a very effective lever type in a better side. But hes definitely not worth what they will pay him in $ and picks but with his contract it will cost overs to get him out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back