Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Re Jerenmy Cameron who has been excellent for Geel ( crucial in the 22 flag ) , the GWS Chairman stood his ground and got some good picks for him

Question , did GWS hit paydirt with any of those picks
The Jeremy Cameron deal was an absolute bargain for Geelong.

The trade was more a face saving value for GWS and we were smart to throw them a bone. The actual value they got was and always has been significantly over exaggerated in the media.

THREE FIRST ROUNDERS!!!1!!1! **

** not really three first rounders but hey if the bombastic gws chairman needs a public win we can let him say that

First round 2024 and F2 is fair I think for Smith.

I think deleting/retirements will be : Hawk, Tuohy, Stanley and Parfit

Incoming : Smith, Rd2, Rd3, Rd4

Others in jeopardy on the main list are Foster and Willis. Maybe we delist one of those and upgrade Clohesy?

I agree on smith.

On list changes i think rohan will go too and bews is a chance to. We will have to bring in a ruck cheap (maybe a DFA) to fill a list spot.
Murdoch jeka and hardie are gone off the rookie list.
Foster and willis might get 1yr deals purely because we a lot of other list spots cleared.
I would say we upgrade clohesy.

We will be taking 3 or so at the back of the ND and at least 3 rookie/ssp picks id say.

The Jezza trade ended up being picks 15, 18 and 25. We got back 2 picks in the 30s which we then traded the next year to the Bulldogs for pick 25 (Knevitt).

So Jezza for 2 late first rounders was the biggest steal of all time.

Incidentally, the same draft saw us use your Jordan Clarke pick (24) for Conway. So that will take a few years to see how that plays out.

Most likely he will get the contract from West Coast and soon but if things become disruptive surrounding a new coach etc. all I know is what I’ve been told that we are really into him. No idea what his side looks like and you’re probably right, he’s just leveraging a fat payday, but Geelong do want him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Im sure we do want him i just dont think hes leaving there. I think between him and his dad they are just squeezing the eagles for cash.
We were only realistic to get him next year not this year anyway.

The Jezza trade ended up being picks 15, 18 and 25. We got back 2 picks in the 30s which we then traded the next year to the Bulldogs for pick 25 (Knevitt).

So Jezza for 2 late first rounders was the biggest steal of all time.

Incidentally, the same draft saw us use your Jordan Clarke pick (24) for Conway. So that will take a few years to see how that plays out.
I don’t agree with the logic of judging the trade based on who you take with the picks, or what the future trades were for the picks you acquired.

They are totally separate conversations.

The trade was Cameron + 2 picks in the 30’s for three picks in between 15-25. What either club did with those picks is a different discussion. The trade was the biggest steal of all time, and gws matching the deal was barely of consequence in the long run.

If gws and the media want to pretend that the picks between 15-25 were legit first rounders then that is fine by me.

I don’t agree with the logic of judging the trade based on who you take with the picks, or what the future trades were for the picks you acquired.

They are totally separate conversations.

The trade was Cameron + 2 picks in the 30’s for three picks in between 15-25. What either club did with those picks is a different discussion. The trade was the biggest steal of all time, and gws matching the deal was barely of consequence in the long run.

If gws and the media want to pretend that the picks between 15-25 were legit first rounders then that is fine by me.
The Danger trade would give it a run 😀

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a bit of info I got yesterday.
Jed Bews has been offered a 1 year contract for 2025.

Isn't that why i asked the question in the first place? If i knew i wouldn't be asking? lol

Bailey hasn't played in 12 months maybe they don't care if they lose him to the Draft if the offer is "in their eyes" shit?

Like i'm positive the two clubs will get a deal done but they nearly signed off on Dunkley to go to the Draft, what's stopping them with Smith this time? They don't have a pick in the first round of this Draft so it's not like they can pick him back up or waste a first rounder on him...but Hawthorn probably would? Tigers probably would? Carlton probably would?

Again, i'm no expert so asking me what i think is pointless....
When you have a 1st and 2nd on the table (what most reasonable folks think we are likely to offer and would be a fair offer), and you knock it back and take nothing instead out of spite, you are doing yourself more harm than anyone else.

Can't see any club being that stupid. Even Gold Coast wouldn't do it.

I wonder if Alex Davies has had a change of heart on hearing Dusty coming in next year? The door is still ajar I’ve been told.
Harsh opinion: but if he is choosing to stay in his comfort and safe zone (rasied in Cairns), despite not being best 22, is he really determined and committed enough to come down here, work hard and prove himself? How bad does he want to be an AFL footballer?

If rumours are to be believed, Pies and Cats have both reached out; if this bloke is serious he is going to one of these great clubs and working his backside off to play in a footy mad state for a great club with elite development and great culture.

It concerns me he wants to stay in his comfort zone and play for a nothing club, a club who has shown they don't rate him.

I agree on smith.

On list changes i think rohan will go too and bews is a chance to. We will have to bring in a ruck cheap (maybe a DFA) to fill a list spot.
Murdoch jeka and hardie are gone off the rookie list.
Foster and willis might get 1yr deals purely because we a lot of other list spots cleared.
I would say we upgrade clohesy.

We will be taking 3 or so at the back of the ND and at least 3 rookie/ssp picks id say.
I agree on the need to pick up a mature back up ruck in the off season (along with a power mid, raw key forward and small defender - I'll write a deeper analysis on this after our season is done).

My understanding is that Stanley had to be convinced to play on in 2024, so I'm assuming he's not lacing them up for another one. And while I'd love to see Conway own the ruck position in 2025, I'm not sure that he or his body are quite there yet.

And if Stanley is gone and Conway is out, we have very little left. Neale should stay forward, SDK should stay back, and Blicavs can pinch hit for a few minutes to give the #1 ruck a break but we're in trouble if we need him to ruck for whole games. Furphy and Edwards are a long way off. So I think we need a Soldo or Preuss type, someone who is not getting a regular game where they are now but could come over and play anywhere from 5-12 games in the ruck and hold his own.

Maybe rather than raiding someone else's list, we should look at the state leagues for a mature-bodied ruckman looking for an opportunity. I didn't see much of the game but by all accounts Brayden Crossley from Southport carved up our VFL side last week - he's a 25yo ex-AFL ruckman with a big body who might be worth a look IMO.

lol 😂
Here’s 2 others I heard.
SDK has plenty of suitors from up north and the club is seriously listening.
We are balls deep in a few WA blokes.
With a left footed bloke within our grasp. Maybe just maybe 🤔.

Isn't TDK allegedly going north?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back