Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

They have zero need to trade for Baker or Owies:
  • Baker can be picked up via the PSD; it's not like Richmond is going to select him with pick 1 in that
  • Owies will be a DFA very shortly as Carlton didn't offer him a contract

They are doing the nice thing by trading for them, but it's also a very very stupid thing when it involves moving on pick 3

I would have got 14 from Carlton for Barrass . Then get Baker…keep 3. Haw had totally played West Coast here

alt..

Off P26 or … do what Geelong is doing and threaten to put Baker in the draft.. and get nothing Rich…. Perhaps add something..

owies … we will have a look at all the dfa before we sign you..

The only logic I can see is they really want Bo Allen … and 3 is too early to call his name.

Compo for losing a bunch of players to a new team IIRC.
Can't remember the players, Hamilton I think was one, nor remember the expansion team, bears maybe?

Lions weren't around til mid-late 90s, they were still the Bad News Bears then. But that could've been the reason.

You know the draft this year is so flat I can't rightly say for sure that FOS is better than Harvey Langford at the draft, though Langford would probably go at pick 10. Maybe in that context pick 3 for the two Blues teens picks isn't terrible.

It's the losing picks for Baker and Owies part that kills me. Baker is a good player but a second round pick is his value.

Owies hit the scoreboard a bit but it's clearly system over talent there with the strong midfield sending it to the KPFs. If Curnow/McKay are bringing to ground instead of marking then the backline is doing it's job. Owies is going to be awful at West coast.

Only thing I can possibly think of is that most of this year's top draftees are mummy's boys who have told WCE they don't want to go to Perth.

So WCE have traded down to the range of a player they believe wants to come - or a local WA boy, and traded for Baker who at least wants to be there.

A reason for the delay in the Smith trade is that Bulldogs are not trading to bring another player in so there is no rush for them. They are going to the draft but ultimately need a first round pick. Ours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only thing I can possibly think of is that most of this year's top draftees are mummy's boys who have told WCE they don't want to go to Perth.

So WCE have traded down to the range of a player they believe wants to come - or a local WA boy, and traded for Baker who at least wants to be there.

There's a thread on the AFL subreddit basically arguing this. WCE know that nobody they might get for pick 3 will stay, so trade down to get a local kid or someone who has indicated he doesn't mind making the move. Plus they get a player who wants to be there in Baker.

The conspiracy theory part of that post is that this is happening a lot behind closed doors as a way to prevent the draft from being challenged in court, as it probably doesnt align with Aus labour laws, and the AFL don't want the magnifying glass placed over it. Which if true could extend to the Bailey Smith issue as well.

This 100%. Unfortunately the kids of today are different to those of yesteryear. Even considering this, it is still an unbelievably bad trade for WC. Surely there must be something else missing/yet to be announced.. even some sort of handshake agreement of favourable future trading. Whilst WC are feeling generous, it would be remiss of us to not ask for Harley Reid for a future R3.

You know how slow this past week has gone when Trade Radio is even taking the piss out of the situation

This would have to be the most constipated trade period ever ….. and a lot is becuse of the way the draft is rated. No one is giving picks for players. As much as I hate it … maybe the fal should have changed the futures to. plus 2 years ahead thsi year instead of waiting...

Stephen Reynoldson might have been another
Cameron I think was the other ..

Edit ..

Renoldyson, OKeeffee Evans …start up …. then Cameron Hamilton to get P1

1990 Trade for David Cameron and Shane Hamilton​

See Other Trades in 1990
Geelong
What Geelong GaveWhat Geelong Got
David Cameron15 games23 XG
Shane Hamilton47 games16 XG
Pick 1Stephen Hooper21 games3000 points218 XG
0 picks2 players62 games0 points39 XG1 pick0 players21 games3000 points218 XG