Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Draft and Trade Period Key Dates​

Oct 17 to Nov 8: Pick swap window
Nov 1 to Nov 8: Delisted free agency period
Nov 20-21: Telstra AFL Draft
Nov 22: Telstra Pre-Season Draft and Rookie Draft

Pass. He's shown he's not up to it and would be miles down the list for depth. We'd be better off going small than going down that route.

From this list we need 3 defenders, 1 ruck and 1 forward (we'd prefer to play 2 but 1 plus O Henry or Martin is manageable):

Cameron
Blicavs
J Henry
Kolo
Stanley
SDK
COS
Conway
Neale

We'd only need him as depth if 5 of these guys were injured at the same time. If that happens we're better off throwing Edwards or Furphy in who might have a future rather than wasting it on Weideman.

We have definitely moved beyond needing any tall list fillers. If we go tall late in the draft or rookie we should be aiming for some raw, athletic beast that we can try and teach football over a couple of years e.g a Kuol Mun type, not necessarily him but that profile.

Is anyone a fan of the key forwards who will be around our pick 40 range?? Or any rookie options??

Mature aged key forwards seem to be the thing more difficult for wells to pull out of his hat

It is because they don't really exist. Pods was a massive outlier. Mitch Lewis at the Hawks via the under 18s but to even get that one decent guy you have 18 clubs churning through half a dozen Buzza's, Phoenix Foster's etc each. Best case scenario you get a Sav level player in that range. We are better off using our later picks on defenders and small/medium forwards where you stand a chance of getting an AFL level player. Key forward and gun mid will need to be either through first round picks or trade/FA.

How is everyone so sure it's a good draft? 2024?

1. In a weak draft, prospects look like good prospects every second week, beating poor players.

2. In an average draft the best stand out and are easy to find.

3. In a strong deep draft with many good prospects the best don't stand out. Being good one week and beaten by a good opponent next week.

In fact, 1 and 3 look a bit similar.

Ultimately. the test will be in the tasting ..but whether turns out to be strong or not … the clubs have acted like its strong … and the group of players that Rich have added there should be , in their eyes , like adding a group from on of those strong drafts in the past. So they are falling into the same sort of snow blindness tehy had when GC and GWs got all those kids and they said they would dominate.

I cant say from memory but I doubt 2010 or 2011 was considered an outstanding draft … so Rich , in theory are getting an unusual amount of talent in compared to what the start up clubs recieved. And in theory ..Rich is not Gold Coast … all the kids should be happy there so they will stay …. and biddy boppy boo. … Rich has re built their list.

But im not sure that works now. Players do not just stay where they are draft like in 99 and 01. Rich is not much different to Pies.. and as OHenry showed..they lose players too. Ess and Coll and Carl and Haw and yes maybe us … will kee and eye on the kids they picked. They will be desperate for them all to extend contracts.

It will be interesting to see what happens because so far ..on evidence of the other start up clubs this approach has not worked. The other thing is .. Tassy coming in soon. Depending on their rules ..they might like to target some young kids who have been in the system for a few years...

Im not as sure adding a huge number like this works exactly as thought. Even highly rated kids fail … and in a couple of years I wonder if they are much different to the group that North will have for example over multiple years I think that the real quality list builds happen not when you gather all the best rated kids … but when you have some and they are mixed with late picks and depserados and suprises packets. Top end kids like being the sun in the universe ..and a bit like why Smith wanted out at the Dogs… not all will get played in their preferred position..

I'd consider a late pick tall but if Cadman is a chance then I don't think paying up for a key forward makes sense. If in 2 years Cadman doesn't happen and we're short on key forwards then we can look at other trades or free agents.

But realistically if Neale makes it and O Henry continues to impress we could survive by putting Jack Henry forward. It's not a dire need with Neale looking good.

I have heard from a source at the club (involved with list management) that we have generally taken a different approach to players in their first few seasons.

We tend to groom them in with specific roles and build them up, where as other clubs have a tendency to throw them in the deep end a little more.

The latter can make stats and numbers look more inflated early on, but it is more the long game compared to the short game.

The media have referred to it too as its rare for us to play our freshly drafted kids immediatly. We let the VFL be like a prep school. It does always work but it probably gives most kids a better chance. A little tast maybe but mostly not much till they are physically ready. COS probably the latest example.

Once can see the other side of it with the drafting of slightly older players . Hump notrequiring that long to show he was capable.

Hmm what key forward will we have developing in the VFL next year?

Edwards is a ruck same with Furphy who is mature aged. I would like 1 Key forward developing even if we eventually don't need him as best 23 due to Neale getting better and getting Cadman or someone else to replace Cameron.

This year is a perfect example of why having someone who can come in and play a role is needed we have seen it when Hawkins went down and Neale came in and helped us. Without Neale this year we would not have finished as high most likely.

Clearly we need a key forward but given our draft hand it's going to be a pretty speculative pick. Thing that stood out for me watching the VFL last year, particularly once Humphries and Mannagh had gone into the seniors, was how thin we looked at either end of the ground. Would be pretty happy with one or two HBFs and a medium forward with some tricks.

We were 5 goals up on the eventual premiers with that midfield and got to a Prelim, really dont think its as big of a deal as people make out when we have full availability.
You are forgetting that during the week before the Port final, the general view was that we would get well beaten in the midfield/ruck and we were 50/50 to win. Then Stewart pulled out and pessimism reigned.

After an impressive win, everything suddenly changed and we were going to win the prelim. We were 5 goals up and Brisbane started dominating the midfield, we got back in front with Henry's last goal, and Brisbane scored two goals from the next centre bounces.

We were 5 goals up on the eventual premiers with that midfield and got to a Prelim, really dont think its as big of a deal as people make out when we have full availability.
Then when is doing some heavy lifting. We're losing a lot of depth in the retirements and players hitting 34+ so i feel we'll be more exposed to injuries than we were last year

Hard pass for me. Would rather invest games into a 18yo with potential as a forward. He would simply sit in the VFL and clogg up the development of a prospective key forward.
Do we have any 18 year olds with potential as a KPF?

Maybe if we use pick 45 on a decent slider KPF but if we pick up a mid or defender then there's a reasonable forecast of a Wylie Buzza type operator

I'm not against playing Edwards forward in the 2s until his body builds though I wouldn't put him in the seniors there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clearly we need a key forward but given our draft hand it's going to be a pretty speculative pick. Thing that stood out for me watching the VFL last year, particularly once Humphries and Mannagh had gone into the seniors, was how thin we looked at either end of the ground. Would be pretty happy with one or two HBFs and a medium forward with some tricks.

Im sure more than anything they will take the best player in their eyes ..they will not walk past a greta HBF just to pick a tall they think is a low chance of success and who's main attribute is height. Have you seen the Jaques kid ? Most seem to like him at one of our picks if available..

Id agree we looked thin in most areas at times. Guys like Demp and Lawson stood out when playing …others seem to be just coping with the level

Don’t think so but sacred heart is one of the more expensive private schools in Adelaide

Just … its a little unusual .. not that I put the be all and end all on higher qualifications. I wonder how that sits around the league. From the outside ..it seems Mackie has quickly established himself as being legit with runs on the board.

I wonder if he offered a pick slide earlier if it would have been done? I probably would have done 38 to 48 earlier than him..considering that 48 will come in so much. If the afl want to really spice it up ..add microphones to the vision...

Do we have any 18 year olds with potential as a KPF?

Maybe if we use pick 45 on a decent slider KPF but if we pick up a mid or defender then there's a reasonable forecast of a Wylie Buzza type operator

I'm not against playing Edwards forward in the 2s until his body builds though I wouldn't put him in the seniors there

I look at Neale as a likely paradigm. Get someone with the attributes required and give quality inputs. They will have time… and in the meantime if a Cadman falls into our lap so be it. The Stmpf kid has probably jumped up around 20 to 30 spots on the back of the combine testing but someone like that. Maybe even ata lower level. is there someone like a Lawson Humpries elsewhere that was not ready at 18...

Can Edwards play the role. If so sure. No Foster now so someone will have to play the role in the VFL

I look at Neale as a likely paradigm. Get someone with the attributes required and give quality inputs. They will have time… and in the meantime if a Cadman falls into our lap so be it. The Stmpf kid has probably jumped up around 20 to 30 spots on the back of the combine testing but someone like that. Maybe even ata lower level. is there someone like a Lawson Humpries elsewhere that was not ready at 18...

Can Edwards play the role. If so sure. No Foster now so someone will have to play the role in the VFL

With Foster gone, my money is on a developing tall at some point (maybe even trading back in) - but I think O'Sullivan will play forward for most of the year, to accelerate his development.

His draft profile, and even interview afterwards (where he talked about Jez being an influence), shows that he's genuinely not set on his position - so I could see us already having that in mind. Edwards is another who can play forward when needed.

Will be interesting to see what we do though! Decent key forwards are becoming very scarce in this modern comp.

Just … its a little unusual .. not that I put the be all and end all on higher qualifications. I wonder how that sits around the league. From the outside ..it seems Mackie has quickly established himself as being legit with runs on the board.

I wonder if he offered a pick slide earlier if it would have been done? I probably would have done 38 to 48 earlier than him..considering that 48 will come in so much. If the afl want to really spice it up ..add microphones to the vision...
I think if we put that pick slide on the table early it just gets banked into the conversion and we'd be expected to add to it. I think he handled it perfectly

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back