Give Us Your Rising Star Top 5

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Bunnings Junior
2. Westwood (as someone coined him, almost came first due the difficulty of being a good KP Forward, especially one with less muscle mass than Craig Mottram)
3. Nathanial Jones
4. Peddles
5. The Man That Is French

1. Selwood
2. Pendles
3. Jonesy
4. Westhoff
5. Dubs

Thats about as un bias as i can get. I think ricky bobby would have been in there without his burst lung. People forget he was freaking it!

Selwood Because it is voted for by old blokes who like hard nuts like selwood
Pendlebury- Class but not big enough numbers
Smith
Hurn
Jones

Big question is who will be young enough and played less than ten games to poach the award next year with the weak draft coming through.

Marty Clarke is my early tip. Thats if the pies don't go a bit further than this weekend

1 - Selwood
2 - Pendlebury
3 - Jones
4 - Smith
5 - Hurn

For anyone thinking of backing Westhoff, keep in mind that only one player has won after playing less than 18 games (Nick Holland, 15). Might well fill a placing though.

1) Selwood( couldn't decide bw 1st 2 but the hype surrounding Selwood will get him thru
2) Pendles ( Glad we have him thats all i can say)
3)N. Jones (great player, consistent,shining light in a terrible year for the dee's)
4) Westhoff (If he Bulks up he will be a star, Did not play enough games to crack top 3)
5) Le Cras or Hurn (both good players who have contributed to west coast)

Honorable Mentions: Goldsack(needed a few more games), Gibbs( great effort to play 22 games), J.Smith( has played a important role in the roos rise to the top) Ryder(great start to the year, faded at the end)
All these players have great futures and will be interesting to see who kicks on from the class of 2007

thursfield got a nom today, i believe

Indeed he did. About bloody time too.

Clear bias alert, but any love for Thursfield to sneak a place in the top 5? Yeah, he's only played basically half a season, but he has some fair old scalps hanging on his wall and has proven he's not just a go-go-gadget clone with some double figure possession games. He's not going to come close to winning it, but he might just sneak into the top 5. But yeah, bias.

And some more bias: I reckon that along with Marty Clarke, a young guy by the name of Connors will give the 08 Rising Star a fair shake...

1. Pendles (by far the better season - Selwoods name will get him a few more votes though and will win the award but Pendle is easily a better player and had a better season)
2. Selwood
3. Priddus
4. Goldsack
5. Westhoff

There goes your creadibility. Are you serious? Have you not seen Selwood play. And Goldsack ahead of Westhoff. I would take Westhoff by the length of the Flemington straight.

If it's at all possible for a tie to be contrived, I'd be pretty happy to see Selwood and Pendlebury share the award; both have been excellent.

People say that Selwood has had a bit of an easy run, taking a back seat to a Cats midfield that has been in slashing form for most of the year - but Selwood has held his own, and most importantly has often provided his older, more experienced team mates with examples of how to play with courage and focus.
Pendlebury is all class, I love watching him play, became one of my fave players over the course of '07. Always has time and vision to find a team mate, Pendlebury is composed and clever.

It really has been a classy group of nominees this year.

Paddy Ryder will be a star; Gibbs will captain the Blues and play 200+ games

Jesse Smith and Nathan Jones are already consistent and important members of their respective teams.

Goldsack is a nice player; he could be around for a long time; able to cover athe 2nd or 3rd best forward for the oppostion; good defensive skills, endurance and dash - players of his ilk are harder to find than midfielders.

Westhoff is great to watch; I'm not being a smart-arse when I say that I will be watching with interest to see whether this bloke has a touch of the Adrian McAdams about him; he really does make it look a bit too easy. Maybe he really is that good; maybe once opposition teams realise he's more than meets the eye (Westhoff's an autobot !?) and start clamping down on him he'll tighten up a bit - time will tell, but he certainly looks all class ..

Tom Hawkins didn't do much this year, I'm fairly content to withhold my judgement of him til 2010; he's got a lot of developing to do and needs to develop AFL-standard endurance. But he should be raring to go from 2010 onwards !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Selwood, gets heaps of the footy and uses it well.
2. Pendlebury, same as above. (very hard to split the 2)
3. Jones, more in an under player then the 2 above, skills by foot arent as good, cos he doesnt seem to get as much time and space.
4. Westoff, wat a steal at pick 71. good hands and kicks multiple goals.
5. Goldsack, very good form of late fresh in voters minds.

Is patty ryder the most over rated nominee this year?

For me I am just doing a top 3. There has been some great young players this year but 3 have been clear standouts:
1. Selwood - Looks the goods, only question mark I have is did he get a bit of an easy ride with so many other great midfielders getting all the attention, certainly made for some easy touches to boost his stats. But I don't go on stats - just the way he attacks the ball & tackles is enough for me.
2. Pendles - Haven't seen a smoother player since Dal Santo, would have been leading half way through the year, but opposition teams tightened up on him towards the end knowing he is dangerous and a broken foot did not help. Plus playing for the Pies he will surely get overlooked.
3. Westhoff - Some are calling him a smokey but a KPP dominating in his first year is no smokey. Super impressive & if he played from round 1 I would have him as the winner. A bit of romance as well in that he was a round 5 draft pick.

No apologies to the rest they certainly were not in the above class and did not show consistency through the year. But I am sure Foley, Jones, Ryder & Smith will all be very valueable going forward not to mention Goldsack! I am undecided on Le Cras & Hurn have not seen enough of them (I am sure WC fans will let me know:p). Give Gibbs a few more years to mature, not sure he would have played the amount of games he did at any other club.

1. Scott Pendlebury (1st in possesions, 1st in marks, 4th in goals)
2. Nathan Jones (1st in tackles, 2nd in possesions)
3. Joel Selwood (3rd in disposals, 3rd in marks)
4. Justin Westhoff (2nd in goals)
5. Shannon Hurn (4th in disposals)

Nice one Lockyer. Do you always use total and not averages to compare players, or just when it suits you?

What I predict will happen:

1. Joel Selwood
2. Scott Pendlebury
3. Nathan Jones
4. Justin Westhoff
5. Jesse W. Smith

What I personally think:

1. Scott Pendlebury / Joel Selwood
3. Shannon Hurn
4. Justin Westhoff
5. Jesse W. Smith

1.Selwood
2. Jones
3. Pendelbury
4. Westoff
5. Jesse Smith/Ryder

People are forgetting about jones, he will be in the top 3 at melbourne this year imo.. has been doing a bloody good job, imo up near selwood, but not quite..

1. Pendelbury (just to be different)
2. Selwood
3. Hurn (has played every game this season with the reigning Premiership team)
4. Westhoff
5. Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Give Us Your Rising Star Top 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back