News GMHBA Stadium Stage 5 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a frustrating situation we find ourselves in as a club with respect to where we play our games, no doubt. But at least these latest pronouncements from characters like Hock can hopefully put to bed the notion peddled on here by some that the club actually requests home games at the MCG.

Even if this was the case in the past, it is certainly not the case now.

Maybe the price of fuel, the relentless increases in the costs of living, services and mortgages are playing a role here too.

People are having to cut back, and the strong possibility of another interest rate rise has people considering their discretionary spending even more critically than ever?

That's not how supporting infrastructure investment works. By that logic the MCG never needed any changes since prior to the construction of the Great Southern Stand.
No, the GSS (Shane Warne Stand) was built because the old stand was just that ... old. The development didn't increase the MCG's capacity.The MCG couldn't still have the old smokers' stand (members), for example, because it would be a fire hazard. The "other" events at Kardinia Park could all still go on even if they just bulldozed the northern end and planted grass.

December 19 for the BBL, leaving GMHBA as the best likely option for the AFLW Grand Final on November 30 (Geelong would have to earn hosting rights, which isn't out of the question--unless the AFL changes their mind about how the venue is decided, which also isn't out of the question).

That's assuming there's no concert or something else booked on/around November 30... the events page on the KP website only stretches 2 months into the future, so idk for sure.

Think we had Balfours pies about 10 years ago, destroyed routleys
They were a fantastic pie.
One cold freezing day, My neighbour (member in seat next to me) ate one hotdog out of his thermos a quarter.
I thought stuff you so I went and bought a pie (balfours) every time he ate one of those dogs, delicious.

Does the GMHBA Stadium use heat lamps 🔦 on the surface like the other grounds in the competition
I would probably guess no as that is more of a problem caused by grandstand shade

The biggest issue yesterday besides all the rain was the curtain raiser

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would probably guess no as that is more of a problem caused by grandstand shade

The biggest issue yesterday besides all the rain was the curtain raiser
Yeah agree on the game b4 hand.. players have to suck it up and realise it's a winter sport 🙄..

They do use them to help promote grass growth and repair in winter to help with grass growth also

Maybe I’m becoming an old man, but I could do without the music after the goals. Does it enhance the “fan experience” to subject us to pop songs at high volume?

It seems to have crept in over the season. I don’t remember it that much at the Saints game.

Maybe I’m becoming an old man, but I could do without the music after the goals. Does it enhance the “fan experience” to subject us to pop songs at high volume?

It seems to have crept in over the season. I don’t remember it that much at the Saints game.
Can’t abide it. It’s bad enough hearing it for the duffers up north but not good enough down here! Get rid of it please.

I'm on the record as being in favour of the music, well ambivalent at least

Gets kids and youngsters up and about

Got to think of the next generation not our last one I suppose

Watching all games on TV it appears to be something the AFL has brought in across most games, definitely big in QLD and WA.

For me, it's all the between quarters crap by the "emcee" who yells into the mic to the point it's deafening, and the embarrassing band music as if it's 1950s America at some college football game. All this crap has been creeping in the past couple years. Our game has lost its unique spirit by trying to become everything else.

For me, it's all the between quarters crap by the "emcee" who yells into the mic to the point it's deafening, and the embarrassing band music as if it's 1950s America at some college football game. All this crap has been creeping in the past couple years. Our game has lost its unique spirit by trying to become everything else.
This.

Cut the marketing spend and reduce the price of seats. Win win.

Watching all games on TV it appears to be something the AFL has brought in across most games, definitely big in QLD and WA.

It's up to each club at the moment. AFL has put pressure on clubs over the last few years to introduce it, but most clubs refuse because the fans hate it. Brisbane does it because apparently their fans like it, and now it appears Geelong and a few other clubs do too. At the two Gather Rounds it was done en mass as that was AFL run, but given the vastly more neutral crowds and whole festival vibe of the weekend it wasn't entirely jarring.

Just on the surface at GMHBA after the dogs VFL game,

I went on the ground to hold up the banner for the AFL side, and I can see where Mitch Duncan was coming from in saying it’s the worst surface he’s ever seen or played on.

You had to really watch your step in sneakers or else you’d look like an idiot in front of 30,000 people. But twice now there’s been a talking point about the grounds condition, with the big bash game earlier in the year too.

It’s a winters sport though, and did coincidentally fit the retro round vibe.

Just on the surface at GMHBA after the dogs VFL game,

I went on the ground to hold up the banner for the AFL side, and I can see where Mitch Duncan was coming from in saying it’s the worst surface he’s ever seen or played on.

You had to really watch your step in sneakers or else you’d look like an idiot in front of 30,000 people. But twice now there’s been a talking point about the grounds condition, with the big bash game earlier in the year too.

It’s a winters sport though, and did coincidentally fit the retro round vibe.
It did look really terrible. Does anybody know if there is another Ground the Geelong VFL could play on besides GMHBA?

Regardless a good surface should hold up a lot better.

Remove this Banner Ad

News GMHBA Stadium Stage 5 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back