News GMHBA Stadium Stage 5 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

From the Club...

Last month the Club contacted members who had reserved seats in the lower section of the Players Stand explaining that in 2023 they were planning to remove reserved seating from that section, and that we'd have the option to move our reserved seats to the new stand or go with a general admin access

Late this afternoon the Club contacted us again to say that they were putting that on hold for the 2023 season & we'd keep our current seats, due to the following:

"Due to unforeseen construction issues, including recent severe weather events, it is no longer possible to bring forward the planned completion of the new stand to allow for it to be open for all 9 home games of the 2023 AFL season."

I wonder if the club have thought about moving games up the road ... or even taking some games elsewhere and get some back in 24 and on. Brisbane for example will be looking for other alternatives in future years when they demolish the gabba.

With us coming off a flag... two games V the Pies/Hawks/Blues etc at the G ..one would think it would be beneficial with a capacity reduced KP

Could fit a decent amount of supporters at the geelong West ground for a game. Would be sick to see
I've heard claims that the Geelong West Roosters used to get crowds of 10,000 in there during their VFA days, but I find that a bit hard to believe.
Having said that, I reckon if you moved the boundary fence forward and allowed people to stand or sit on the bike track, you could fit a decent crowd in there.

I've heard claims that the Geelong West Roosters used to get crowds of 10,000 in there during their VFA days, but I find that a bit hard to believe.
Having said that, I reckon if you moved the boundary fence forward and allowed people to stand or sit on the bike track, you could fit a decent crowd in there.

They are in the process of working a deal to remove the track.

The person to ask is you pick one

I would have said way over 10,000. That place was a sardine can.

And gee I hated the bike track. The ground just felt so big when you were playing.

Current Hickey Stand capacity is about 6500, I think. (surprisingly, that is about the same as the Brownlow)
The Hickey Stand has so much wasted capacity with the access ramps and the two glassed sections (which don’t even have a view of more than half of the ground!) resulting in a massive gap to the “Players“ and new stage 5 stands.
Even a relatively modest renovation demolishing those two sections and extending the Hickey left and right to close the gaps and link with the newer stands would probably add 3000-4000 seats, perhaps more.

View attachment 1546226

View attachment 1546227
The gap between the players is so significant due to two bays having to be scrapped due to the quantitative surveyors stuffing up the original quote, which was quoted as being $30m to build when it would have taken $42m in actuality if memory serves correctly

The gap between the players is so significant due to two bays having to be scrapped due to the quantitative surveyors stuffing up the original quote, which was quoted as being $30m to build when it would have taken $42m in actuality if memory serves correctly
Next round of renovations should really tidy up the hill area.

Kinda surprised they didn't take Stage 5 as an opportunity to delete the left ramp. oh well.

Getting there… slowly.

View attachment 1550360
Looks quite a while away…

I may try to trawl back through construction photos of the premiership stand to see comparisons.

Edit: I found a photo from the thread from a poster here from November 14 (of the year of construction) and attached here. The first match was mid may the following year.

I’ve also attached a photo from that same thread that looks a similar stage to where construction on stage 5 is at the moment. This photo was taken mid September.

Therefore, making some assumptions, it doesn’t look as though it will be complete before July.

I wonder how much the t20 World Cup delayed things. ICC took control of the stadium for a month, and although I assume works continued as normal as the site is the builder’s throughout the construction period, they did do some works to hoardings and they stopped work for at least the days there were matches so it no doubt caused some delay.

There may be flexibility to stage the completion and open the first level earlier if required as they did with the northern stand at mcg (which you can see in the mark Williams grand final tie pull of 2004).

This would add more difficultly to the build but would reduce liquidated damages (if the builder has been in delay), or reduced income to the client (/tenant) if the delays were fair and reasonable, or caused by the client. If it’s the builder who is in delay, I dare say they’d be very keen to reduce financial risk and stage the opening.

Attachments

• 48E1CFEE-D626-4E46-A7BD-51C62CD63C46.jpeg
    48E1CFEE-D626-4E46-A7BD-51C62CD63C46.jpeg
    754.3 KB · Views: 145
  • 9FB40A6D-04CC-40C5-87AC-83F9837D8C4B.png
    9FB40A6D-04CC-40C5-87AC-83F9837D8C4B.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Looks quite a while away…

I may try to trawl back through construction photos of the premiership stand to see comparisons.

Edit: I found a photo from the thread from a poster here from November 14 (of the year of construction) and attached here. The first match was mid may the following year.

I’ve also attached a photo from that same thread that looks a similar stage to where construction on stage 5 is at the moment. This photo was taken mid September.

Therefore, making some assumptions, it doesn’t look as though it will be complete before July.

I wonder how much the t20 World Cup delayed things. ICC took control of the stadium for a month, and although I assume works continued as normal as the site is the builder’s throughout the construction period, they did do some works to hoardings and they stopped work for at least the days there were matches so it no doubt caused some delay.

There may be flexibility to stage the completion and open the first level earlier if required as they did with the northern stand at mcg (which you can see in the mark Williams grand final tie pull of 2004).

This would add more difficultly to the build but would reduce liquidated damages (if the builder has been in delay), or reduced income to the client (/tenant) if the delays were fair and reasonable, or caused by the client. If it’s the builder who is in delay, I dare say they’d be very keen to reduce financial risk and stage the opening.
An interesting comparison thanks.

I wonder if theres scope to have the project delivered in a manner which is fit for match days (i.e. seating, f&b facilities, amenities etc.) but have the primarily cricket facilities below and media centre above be delivered at a later stage? Would be a bit of a nightmare to move construction timelines around like that of course, but could see a world where this could work. I guess this is similar to what you've suggested here, but would allow for a full capacity crowd with the right prioritisation of works.

I can see that the club + trust might have a preference for the opening to include the entire project, but I think if it's going to get to the point where we have to play GMHBA games with it entirely empty and not quite finished, then it would be a better solution to partially open it. for the first home game.

Another slighly off topic but interesting observation... noticed they have kept the drop in wickets in place for these past two AFLW games... makes sense I suppose with more cricket to come next month, but certainly not something I've seen done before.
1667910364471.png

The person to ask is you pick one

I would have said way over 10,000. That place was a sardine can.

And gee I hated the bike track. The ground just felt so big when you were playing.

I wasn't keen on playing on that ground as a young fella.
We were told not to stop running when you hit the bike track. Keep going and grab the fence. If you tried to stop you would end up on your butt.
It would be a much better ground for footy without the bike track.

We were told not to stop running when you hit the bike track. Keep going and grab the fence. If you tried to stop you would end up on your butt.
I had a graze all the way down my left side - being a left footer - as I ran onto the ball at full pace and was pushed as I kicked.

It's a great ground to play footy - particularly night games - but that bike track is a hazard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was told the exact same thing !
I’d avoid that track at all costs and scream at the ball to go out of bounds.

That ground was a perfect example of why 16 a side was stupid.

I think you’re older than me. Who was the guy that kicked stacks of goals?
Joe redogio (something like that)

Joe Radojevic

Joe Radojevic.

Remember when the Social Club stand was the flash modern stand at K'Park? Then there was the old wooden Brownlow next to it. The other wooden stand that was further south had the admin built on to it in the late 70's or early 80's????? I cannot remember the name of this stand. It was named after some former Geelong FC player/Administrator. The name has slipped me now. And the past players stand (now at St.Mary's) was next to that further south.

1474793525954.jpg

past-players-stand.jpg

Kardinia-Park-1933.jpg

The stand that I cannot recall the name of is the one with the Ford logo on the roof and the old admin built on the back.

Any oldies here that can remember the name of the stand?
Theses images will give some people an idea of just how far the footy club has come in the last 25 odd years.
It does not seem that long ago that the footy club was broke, we had not won a flag in ages, and iirc, the AFL wanted us to abandon Kardinia Park.

I think it was the Jack Jennings stand from memory:
Remember when the Social Club stand was the flash modern stand at K'Park? Then there was the old wooden Brownlow next to it. The other wooden stand that was further south had the admin built on to it in the late 70's or early 80's????? I cannot remember the name of this stand. It was named after some former Geelong FC player/Administrator. The name has slipped me now. And the past players stand (now at St.Mary's) was next to that further south.

1474793525954.jpg

past-players-stand.jpg

Kardinia-Park-1933.jpg

The stand that I cannot recall the name of is the one with the Ford logo on the roof and the old admin built on the back.

Any oldies here that can remember the name of the stand?
Theses images will give some people an idea of just how far the footy club has come in the last 25 odd years.
It does not seem that long ago that the footy club was broke, we had not won a flag in ages, and iirc, the AFL wanted us to abandon Kardinia Park.

I could be wrong but I think Rabbi was referring to the stand between the Brownlow and the past players. Shown in the aerial shot with the ford logo on the roof. The name also escapes me too.
Wasn't the JJ stand -The Jack Jenning Pavilion- the name of the Social Club stand (top pic in my opening post)?

Remove this Banner Ad

News GMHBA Stadium Stage 5 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back