News GMHBA Stadium Stage 5 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

7000 people who bought a ticket didn't show up. Simple as that. Don't overthink it.

The issue is league wide. Pies v Dons sold out, and they got 80,000.
Can't buy that, John Z. It IS a league-wide problem, and fans are always complaining about the difficulty of getting tickets. So in your mind maybe up to 15,000 fans with tickets didn't/couldn't turn up on Friday night? You've got far too much faith in the (supposed) competence of those in our game involved in the ticketing process. AFL would love your position of not thinking about it.

Can't buy that, John Z. It IS a league-wide problem, and fans are always complaining about the difficulty of getting tickets. So in your mind maybe up to 15,000 fans with tickets didn't/couldn't turn up on Friday night? You've got far too much faith in the (supposed) competence of those in our game involved in the ticketing process. AFL would love your position of not thinking about it.
Mate you can keep searching for conspiracies or take the simplest explanation which is always the most likely.

My family has six season tickets in the brownlow stand. We couldnt make the game and we didn’t sell the seat back to the club.

As ive said before and elsewhere, the AFL needs to put work into filling unused seats. Whether its a standby line or a rsvp system or something else. Demand for these games is more than the supply. It should be utilised

Mate you can keep searching for conspiracies or take the simplest explanation which is always the most likely.

My family has six season tickets in the brownlow stand. We couldnt make the game and we didn’t sell the seat back to the club.

As ive said before and elsewhere, the AFL needs to put work into filling unused seats. Whether its a standby line or a rsvp system or something else. Demand for these games is more than the supply. It should be utilised
Hardly a conspiracy, mate. You have just pointed to one of the problems yourself. Did you try to sell the Brownlow seat(s) back? If not, why not? There is a system, maybe it's unwieldy. So it seems in that case, at least, we're not talking conspiracies, are we? A sold-out game at Kardinia Park, quite simply, should not result in a crowd of 33,188. I'm not sure why you wouldn't want answers on that beyond, oh well, 7000 reserved seat holders didn't turn up. The club/AFL/Ticketmaster need to do better.

Hardly a conspiracy, mate. You have just pointed to one of the problems yourself. Did you try to sell the Brownlow seat(s) back? If not, why not? There is a system, maybe it's unwieldy. So it seems in that case, at least, we're not talking conspiracies, are we? A sold-out game at Kardinia Park, quite simply, should not result in a crowd of 33,188. I'm not sure why you wouldn't want answers on that beyond, oh well, 7000 reserved seat holders didn't turn up. The club/AFL/Ticketmaster need to do better.
You also need to consider timing.

People with season tix are going all week long - and then on gameday its wet, cold, pet dies, Sally has tennis, or Tommy 2011 gets a flat tire and now cant go.

Point being people with sold tickets change their minds. Does it suck - sure - id rather see the place full but the club is also making that $$ whether I show up or not.

I have 2 reserved seats in PLayers Stand and I live in Los Angeles.
So how often you reckon im sitting in mine?
But they are up for resale every week and sell most weeks - this season all but Port game sold.

Also related to timing.... people might want 4 together and look and see nothing is available on say a Thursday for a Sat game. Then 1000 ticket holders change their minds on Sat for above reasons for Sat Arvo game.

The people looking on Thursday never saw the Sat seats being avaialble because when they looked, they werent but ultimately they were never sat in.

GO CAtters

People with season tix are going all week long - and then on gameday its wet, cold, pet dies, Sally has tennis, or Tommy 2011 gets a flat tire and now cant go.

Point being people with sold tickets change their minds. Does it suck - sure - id rather see the place full but the club is also making that $$ whether I show up or not.

But they are up for resale every week and sell most weeks - this season all but Port game sold.

Also related to timing.... people might want 4 together and look and see nothing is available on say a Thursday for a Sat game. Then 1000 ticket holders change their minds on Sat for above reasons for Sat Arvo game.

The people looking on Thursday never saw the Sat seats being avaialble because when they looked, they werent but ultimately they were never sat in.

GO CAtters
Flat tyre wouldn't stop me, nor Sally's tennis, nor cold weather... Go Catters

GO CAtters
I understand your personal circumstances, and great that you put your seats up for resale. Flat tyre stopping me? No way. Sally's tennis, nup. Pet death? Rather not go there. Wet and cold? It'd want to be horrendous. You're looking for excuses that don't add up to around 7000 empty spaces. Saturday was an eight-point game against our modern fiercest rival. 33,188 is close to embarrassing and must be addressed by, as I've commented, the club, AFL and Ticketmaster. Taxpayers would be right to question the tens of millions spent on the stadium if this is the norm.

How many of the vacant seats were from the corporate side of things or other hospitality packages that are available on match days?

Those packages include:
  • Presidents Club
  • Gold Cats
  • The Pivots
  • Frank Costa Boardroom
  • Frank Costa Super Suite
  • the Open Air boxes
  • Reg Hickey Executive Suite
  • Carlton Draught Lounge
  • Inner Sanctum experience
  • Club Chin Chin

Those packages may not sell out each match but they're also not necessarily available for purchase on via Ticketmaster - so attendees from the above would count in attendance numbers, but there's also the possibility for unsold packages, no shows, you've got a 15 seat box but will only have 10 in attendance etc

I have no doubt a number of the vacant seats are from members who were unable to attend the match & the seat was left vacant for any of a variety of reasons, but don't be surprised if a bigger cause of vacant seats is down to those not readily available to the public & from the corporate side of things

How many of the vacant seats were from the corporate side of things or other hospitality packages that are available on match days?

Those packages include:
  • Presidents Club
  • Gold Cats
  • The Pivots
  • Frank Costa Boardroom
  • Frank Costa Super Suite
  • the Open Air boxes
  • Reg Hickey Executive Suite
  • Carlton Draught Lounge
  • Inner Sanctum experience
  • Club Chin Chin

Those packages may not sell out each match but they're also not necessarily available for purchase on via Ticketmaster - so attendees from the above would count in attendance numbers, but there's also the possibility for unsold packages, no shows, you've got a 15 seat box but will only have 10 in attendance etc

I have no doubt a number of the vacant seats are from members who were unable to attend the match & the seat was left vacant for any of a variety of reasons, but don't be surprised if a bigger cause of vacant seats is down to those not readily available to the public & from the corporate side of things
Fair point. But doesn't that fall on the club? In any case, I'd like to know if they're struggling to fill their corporate packages, and why. Hocking on KRock said the twilight fixture was their preferred timeslot, so I hope they don't blame that. And once again, we're talking about a figure of around 7000 below capacity.

I understand your personal circumstances, and great that you put your seats up for resale. Flat tyre stopping me? No way. Sally's tennis, nup. Pet death? Rather not go there. Wet and cold? It'd want to be horrendous. You're looking for excuses that don't add up to around 7000 empty spaces. Saturday was an eight-point game against our modern fiercest rival. 33,188 is close to embarrassing and must be addressed by, as I've commented, the club, AFL and Ticketmaster. Taxpayers would be right to question the tens of millions spent on the stadium if this is the norm.
and there it is - the real reason for the angst.

Nothing to do wit the club - all to do with the politics of it. I get it now.

GO Catters

Utter rubbish, Daz.
sure was...
right up until you brought politics into an attendance discussion and the you didnt like being called on it.

GO Catters

GO CAtters
Please don't let the commute from Los Angeles stop you from experiencing the magic at KP. Go Mets ;) Go Cats

i apologise to both of you in advance and mean no disrespect but I ****ing hate baseball... all of it.

GO Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sure was...
right up until you brought politics into an attendance discussion and the you didnt like being called on it.

GO Catters
This is not a forum for politics, so all I'll say is that Australians (individuals and companies) do not pay enough tax. Tax is not a dirty word. As to the issue, your responses have almost all been flippant - too cold, too wet, flat tyre, pet dying, daughter's tennis. Your only touch of insight was the re-selling issue. It's something you apparently do well, but you are happy that if others don't, oh well, that's just the way it is. Sounds to me like you are quite comfortable for a sell-out at Kardinia Park to have an attendance of 33,188. I'm not, and I want the club/AFL/Ticketmaster to sort it. If they can't, the taxpayers and ratepayers deserve to be pissed off. And you know what, that's not actually party political. Can't see how you think that point is such a "gotcha". And at the risk of injecting more politics, I've never voted Right wing in my life and never will.

This is not a forum for politics, so all I'll say is that Australians (individuals and companies) do not pay enough tax. Tax is not a dirty word. As to the issue, your responses have almost all been flippant - too cold, too wet, flat tyre, pet dying, daughter's tennis. Your only touch of insight was the re-selling issue. It's something you apparently do well, but you are happy that if others don't, oh well, that's just the way it is. Sounds to me like you are quite comfortable for a sell-out at Kardinia Park to have an attendance of 33,188. I'm not, and I want the club/AFL/Ticketmaster to sort it. If they can't, the taxpayers and ratepayers deserve to be pissed off. And you know what, that's not actually party political. Can't see how you think that point is such a "gotcha". And at the risk of injecting more politics, I've never voted Right wing in my life and never will.
What exactly do you want the club or Ticketmaster to do? They have already sold those seats if someone chooses not to come they can’t resell the seat without the permission of the seat holder. You want them to essentially steal from members?

I myself have missed a match where something came up on the day so I couldn’t sell back to the club. My seat would have been marked as sold but still I didn’t attend.

None of the club, AFL and Ticketmaster are responsible for people who have a seat/ticket not turning up. There were reports of attendants not scanning tickets and just letting people in, for about the last hour to ensure the crowd flowed and stop excessive cueing. How many were not counted. I was there on Saturday and looking around the stadium it looked very full to me.

Last edited:
None of the club, AFL and Ticketmaster are responsible for people who have a seat/ticket not turning up. There were reports of attendants not scanning tickets and just letting people in, for about the last hour to ensure the crowd flowed and stop excessive cueing. How many were not counted. I was there on Saturday and looking around the stadium it looked very full to me.

Same here

If you told me there was 35/36k in attendance, I wouldn't bat an eyelid - we definitely look fuller than the apparent official attendance

What exactly do you want the club or Ticketmaster to do? They have already sold those seats if someone chooses not to come they can’t resell the seat without the permission of the seat holder. You want them to essentially steal from members?

I myself have missed a match where something came up on the day so I couldn’t sell back to the club. My seat would have been marked as sold but still I didn’t attend.
What do I want the club or Ticketmaster to do? How about they try harder? Of course they can't steal from members. But Dazbroncos has already said the only game his tickets were not resold for was the Port game. It can be done. We get emails and texts from the club all the time. How about reminders coming up to home games about whether you're going to make it? How about the club/Ticketmaster reminding those trying to get tickets that resale options might come up at the last minute? Honestly, a lot of responses on this topic reek of "I'm alright, Jack" mentality. When the club goes to the AFL about next year's draw and says it wants another home game (as Hocking has forecast), and that they want it against one of the bigger Melbourne clubs, what do you think the AFL will/could say? Well, we gave you a game against Hawthorn and the crowd was only 33,188, so sorry, we have to pass on that.

It's not right when we kick a goal at the river where and there is little reaction behind the goals.

Move the oppo around a bit
You can tell it's winter school holidays, as this was the sh*test home crowed in what feels like a decade. There was a LOT of Hawks faithful and they were far louder than most opposition groups at KP.

Hate to say it, but our loudest and proudest seem to no longer come to games, there's just little anything. Go to a game at the G, have the other side score a goal and hear the place roar. We score a goal and the reaction tends to lack in comparison. :(

I miss the older days or maybe I'm remembering the 80s and 90s wrong? :p

Taxpayers would be right to question the tens of millions spent on the stadium if this is the norm.
What's that got to do with the numbers the Cats do for less than a dozen home games spread across a 6-month AFL season?? The ground is a State asset, it gets used all year round, and even during the AFL season is used for non-AFL events.

A fair question. 250m+ spent to not sell it out is a fair question.
Club cannot help it though if members don't attend. Hopefully things start to improve and more turn up to pad out the stands.
This is not a forum for politics, so all I'll say is that Australians (individuals and companies) do not pay enough tax.
Lost me there.

We're taxed on everything except breathing in this country.

You can tell it's winter school holidays, as this was the sh*test home crowed in what feels like a decade. There was a LOT of Hawks faithful and they were far louder than most opposition groups at KP.

Hate to say it, but our loudest and proudest seem to no longer come to games, there's just little anything. Go to a game at the G, have the other side score a goal and hear the place roar. We score a goal and the reaction tends to lack in comparison. :(

I miss the older days or maybe I'm remembering the 80s and 90s wrong? :p
It's mainly due to winning. Hawthorn have suffered from the same thing over the years.

We're not a parochial supporter base at the best of times, and if you add on the sustained success and the ingrained belief that we're going to win most games, the subconscious in most supporters doesn't feel the need to get overly emotional.

Easy to forget that the vast majority of attendees aren't nuffies like us who care enough about the club to post on here.

Not a criticism of those types at all (or us for that matter) but it's just the way things seem to go.

For those supporters, I imagine they've got full bellies so to speak, and only tend to bring the over the top passion when we're down and/or getting the rough end of the stick from the umpires (see Port game).

Funnily enough, if we were to go through an extended era of losing, I imagine Kardinia Park would become more of a cauldron than it is now.

What's that got to do with the numbers the Cats do for less than a dozen home games spread across a 6-month AFL season?? The ground is a State asset, it gets used all year round, and even during the AFL season is used for non-AFL events.
All of those other events could have been held without the massive redevelopment.

A fair question. 250m+ spent to not sell it out is a fair question.
Club cannot help it though if members don't attend. Hopefully things start to improve and more turn up to pad out the stands.

Lost me there.

We're taxed on everything except breathing in this country.
We are not a highly-taxed country.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back