Gold Coast: The Battle Begins

Remove this Banner Ad

OK All,

There may be a very pleasant surprise for those of us that are 100% North Melbourne staying Melbourne based. Keep a close eye on the results of tomorrow's board meeting / meeting with the AFL.

Some information has reached my ears via a very reliable source. To post details on here would mean the source drying up.

Just don't let all of the crap on here and in the newspapers get to you! I will say that Damian Barret's article in the herald Sun today was closest to the mark if my information is correct.

Chins up for another day, then we can analyse the results tomorrow!:):thumbsu::eek::D:)

What went wrong?? :(

As a neutral supporter I really feel sorry all the Kangaroos fans out there at the moment. It will be a damn shame if the club gets forced to move, I would be devestated if something like that happened to the Blues. If the happens it wouldnt surprise me if another 2-3 Victorian clubs face a similar fate before 2020.

The problem with the Kangaroos is that they just don't have enough supporters. No matter how successful you guys are on-field I just cant see your membership numbers catching up to that of the more profitable Victorian clubs. As recent articles have stated, the club's largest source of revenue is funding from the AFL. No business can survive like that. As long as you require AFL funding your club will be in their hands. A decision to stay in Melbourne - unless drastic changes are made - will almost certainly mean the end of the club.

The only way the Kangaroos can survive in Melbourne is to get some major non-football revenues into the club. The power Victorian clubs like Collingwood and Carlton get huge amounts of revenue from their off-field investments. Sure, Pratt put some money into Carlton to get the ball rolling again, but apart from recent times where we felt the heavy hand of the AFL, we have always been very strong club financially.

Anyway, if the Kangaroos are going to have off-field success they need to make serious changes at board level. They need great business minds on the board who will make the right decisions to secure the clubs financial future. Glenn Archer may be passionate but what business sense does he have? James Brayshaw might be a powerful media personality but what can he contribute at board level? Passion is great, but keep the passion in the football department. The only thing passion will do at board level is influence important decisions. It's fine for the Kangaroos to say they don't want to go, but unless they have a business plan that is a bit more complex then crying out for their supporters to sign up, you should all start packing your bags in the morning.

Good luck to North Melbourne and their supporters. The fight will be huge. There is little doubt Melbourne club(s) will be making way in the near future, but it doesn't have to be your club. If the NMFC want to stay in Melbourne then I think they can make it happen. You've fought above your weight on the field with success for a long time and there is no reason this can't be translated to off-field. Good luck!

8 games in Melbourne [big fcuckin' deal -8 away games to squeeze into like refugees]

televised every week [isn't everybody- all you need is Foxtel]

Wouldnt count on them honouring the eight games either. They don't honour the contract with us, why should you believe that they would with you?

Also televised every week? Doubt that either, they could call having a game on foxtel as televised if they wanted?

Keep fighting.

Hey guys good luck with the battle. From a non-AFL person's angle its a massive fight but if South Sydney could come back from the dead you guys can definately defeat the move. good luck again.

Wouldnt count on them honouring the eight games either. They don't honour the contract with us, why should you believe that they would with you?

Also televised every week? Doubt that either, they could call having a game on foxtel as televised if they wanted?

Keep fighting.

Thanks Vidman.

Yes, my point was that even IF they honour the 8 game deal (which is unlikely- it is the AFL), it's not great to go to 8 away games and no home games.

And you can watch all the games on TV, but only if you've got Foxtel. That's what I said.

Thanks Vidman.

Yes, my point was that even IF they honour the 8 game deal (which is unlikely- it is the AFL), it's not great to go to 8 away games and no home games.

And you can watch all the games on TV, but only if you've got Foxtel. That's what I said.

IMHO it's better to fight and risk death, than relocation. I know it's been disussed everywhere else but I'm convinced that the AFL team on the Gold Coast won't work. Actually think that a third team in Perth makes more financial sense. Again, fight the good fight.:thumbsu:

IMHO it's better to fight and risk death, than relocation. I know it's been disussed everywhere else but I'm convinced that the AFL team on the Gold Coast won't work. Actually think that a third team in Perth makes more financial sense. Again, fight the good fight.:thumbsu:

Yes right but Perth wouldn't accept a relocated Vic club and Andy wants pioneers to go into non AFL territory.

The original plan was to say no to the AFL (tick) and the provide the counter proposal (tick). From there, we were to propose JB as chairman and add Archer to the board. Unfortunately, Adolph Demetriou took over and with both Arch and Brayshaw absent, the plan fell apart.
On the positive side, they did say no, and the board had to go back to shareholders with the AFL's 'thoughts'!
There's a long way to go, and we have some unlikely allies. Keep the fight going. Keep the fight public! The AFL is losing the PR war. There are things happening behind the scenes. Just keep the momentum going for NORTH MELBOURNE.:)

I feel for north...
even though i hate them i dont want them to have to merge/relocate.
this is all because the AFL has become a stupid freakin business.
what about the old days when the players hadd fulltime jobs and just played footy on the weekend.
really pisses me off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't quite understand the logic behind keeping the Kangas in Melbourne, of course you want your team to stay loyal but I find it really remarkable that your willing to risk (with odds stacked against you) your team just to stay in their home state.

Simple facts are Gold Coast is where the AFL WANTS a team to work, and will do all necessary precautions to have a successful team in Queensland (remember Brisbane 2001-2004). What they did with Brisbane made them a team for the history books through giving advantages to the team, which North so desperately needs.

With the talk of their being 8 "away" games in Melbourne I don't understand exactly how I interpret this do you want 8 games in Melbourne against teams from outside of Victoria? otherwise I don't understand how there could be 8 home games in Melbourne

Lets be honest the North Melbourne supporter base is not getting any bigger its just the same people getting excited every once in a while and buying memberships (which they get rid of not long after). The Kangaroos have the lowest Membership base (last time I checked) in the AFL and the brutal truth is it's just not good enough to work on a national basis, it's enough for just Victoria though, which makes me wonder maybe you would prefer being relagated to the VFL if and when your are given the boot.

I just hope that the North Melbourne fans truly want this, sure now you'll say We would rather die than relocate, but if you go under will you be saying We should have moved?

I don't quite understand the logic behind keeping the Kangas in Melbourne, of course you want your team to stay loyal but I find it really remarkable that your willing to risk (with odds stacked against you) your team just to stay in their home state.

Simple facts are Gold Coast is where the AFL WANTS a team to work, and will do all necessary precautions to have a successful team in Queensland (remember Brisbane 2001-2004). What they did with Brisbane made them a team for the history books through giving advantages to the team, which North so desperately needs.

With the talk of their being 8 "away" games in Melbourne I don't understand exactly how I interpret this do you want 8 games in Melbourne against teams from outside of Victoria? otherwise I don't understand how there could be 8 home games in Melbourne

Lets be honest the North Melbourne supporter base is not getting any bigger its just the same people getting excited every once in a while and buying memberships (which they get rid of not long after). The Kangaroos have the lowest Membership base (last time I checked) in the AFL and the brutal truth is it's just not good enough to work on a national basis, it's enough for just Victoria though, which makes me wonder maybe you would prefer being relagated to the VFL if and when your are given the boot.

I just hope that the North Melbourne fans truly want this, sure now you'll say We would rather die than relocate, but if you go under will you be saying We should have moved?

Check again, the lowest membership is Brisbane, where everything is going so well. The last AFL team put on the Gold Coast died.

Thanks for your interest.

Best of luck Roo Supporters. Fight it out and continue to do so. You have the whole of Victoria behind you. I was at the Save our Skins day for Richmond back in 1990 and although we were in a different postition than you guys the campaign thing worked well. Think of something clever and get the tins out for each and every game next year. Oppostion supporters will put in more than you think. The majority of AFL supporters don't won't their league ****ed up so everyone will help if you persist. I'm gonna make sure my mum, nan and aunty who follow the roos buy memberships and although its a tough ask i'll try to convince my step-dad who follows the pies to buys one too. Guess it goes without saying i'll buy one and could use it a fair bit if the tiges pull another shocker of a season:(.

Good luck again and see you in Round 2.

Best of luck Roo Supporters. Fight it out and continue to do so. You have the whole of Victoria behind you. I was at the Save our Skins day for Richmond back in 1990 and although we were in a different postition than you guys the campaign thing worked well. Think of something clever and get the tins out for each and every game next year. Oppostion supporters will put in more than you think. The majority of AFL supporters don't won't their league ****ed up so everyone will help if you persist. I'm gonna make sure my mum, nan and aunty who follow the roos buy memberships and although its a tough ask i'll try to convince my step-dad who follows the pies to buys one too. Guess it goes without saying i'll buy one and could use it a fair bit if the tiges pull another shocker of a season:(.

Good luck again and see you in Round 2.

Thanks, really appreciate the support.

oh yeah and your in debt.

I wouldn't be getting to cocky if I was in your shoes.

Your club made themselves a massive $10K profit last season and are the worst supported club as far as game day attendances go in the competition.

A couple of ordinary seasons and you'll very quickly accumulate yourselves a massive overdraft of your own.

oh yeah and your in debt.

We're in debt are we? Shit i didn't know that...we might not have a benefactor like the cheat Pratt ( and they thought Elliot was bad)...

We'll stick in Melbourne thanks and fight with Brayshaw and Archer and co....
How are the Port magpies going? and are you a member or a supporter....piss off....

Interesting. The AFL figure for Brisbane 2007 was 21,976 members & North 22,196. Both poor results. Now Brisbane is stating their figure is 23,072. They must have gone to the same school as AD.

They are aiming for 28,000 in 2008 which I would expect them to go close to achieving. This means we have to get up around there as well. Our target of 26,000 is too low.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold Coast: The Battle Begins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back