Review Good/Bad v Essendon, Round 21. TOP 2 = SEALED

Remove this Banner Ad

The answer could be "nothing".

I was king hit after a Hawthorn game years ago while waiting for my wife outside the ladies loos. I wasn't saying anything or doing anything and the first I knew of anything I was on the ground.

To Velvet - sorry, though I was on the platform I didn't see anything. I might have been there earlier or later, or for that matter been at the other end, but there wasn't any commotion when I was there. Hope you are ok.

Yes sure. The answer could also be "something"

Interesting the poster claiming the king hit liked your post but hasn't responded to mine.

- Talia didn't look right all night. Beaten by Daniher and Hooker at various times. With Hartigan and Otten sidelined and Keath still inexperienced, I think we were almost forced into playing him. I hope he gets a rest before September.
I think Talia has been told ' do as little as possible without compromising the game' and others are being told to cover. I can see him playing against Sydney and resting against Eagles. If Hartigan was fit and ready to go I think he may have come in for Talia. Otten may travel to the west if Hartigan isnt right

I'll watch the game again tonight and highlight all the times he got pantsed like you do with Mackay if you like
I watched it again after thinking he was just okay at the game. The only times he got beaten from memory were on the lead and once with hooker in a marking contest. Otherwise he had some good one on one moments and was good offensively. Overall did a lot better than I thought.

Daniher beat Lever and Talia while hooker fluked most of his goals from outside 50.

The unbiased rating of all our players from SEN they dont give a toss about Fanbois like on here

Geelong
Alex KEATH – 4

Debutant had some trouble with Harry Taylor but did win some one-on-ones late in the game.

Not saying Ottens your man but just to let you know

Andy OTTEN – 7

Went to Menzel and was able to give him a short back and sides. Played his role to a tee.

Collingwood

Alex KEATH – 5

Responded well in the second half after Darcy Moore had control of him in the first.

Alex KEATH – 5

Kept his place in the side and recovered well after conceding the first goal of the match to Justin Westhoff.

Essendon

Alex KEATH – 6

Settling into defensive spot more and more as the weeks go by.

No doubt best game of the 4 was against the dons but far from what we have seen what Harto is capable of

From what I have seen he is developing but unfortunatly the only game I rate in that lot was against the cats, Sydney , GWS, Richmond all will test us

Keaths test for mine is this week, if he can come through with above average say a 7 he well and truly holds his spot and harto will have to put in good games and cross his fingers a spot opens up, if not then the selectors will have a tough decision to make but if Keath is playing so so then Harto for me
Who wrote that rot?

Just watch the replay and if I was the Bombers coach I would be a little bit annoyed at what Daniher did to Atkins. There is no need for it. If he needs to do that, his mind isn't on the job imo. I'm sure Atkins nor the Crows didn't care and I don't care from a fans point of view.
There is something Peter Pan about Joe Daniher. He looks like he is having fun most of the time. They were talking about him the radio last week and someone mentioned it's just the "way he's wired". Personally I'd leave him alone.

There is something Peter Pan about Joe Daniher. He looks like he is having fun most of the time. They were talking about him the radio last week and someone mentioned it's just the "way he's wired". Personally I'd leave him alone.
Yeah it's true.
Joey isn't a flog imo, he's just having fun out there...not really being smug about it, a character of the game.

The Couldabeens had his mum on their programme a few weeks ago - apparently he'd always wanted to be a football player from a young age, followed by a comment along the lines of "Thank goodness he's made it because I don't what else he would have done." Interestingly one of his brothers wanted nothing to do with the game at all.

Could you stream it from within the airport. Not sure what time the airport to city train stops though.

There's free Wi-Fi at the airport and also on the Airport Train, which goes until 1AM HK time.

You could also go near the Cathay Pacific arrivals lounge - their Wi-Fi password is cathay1234

Get a pass for international access (plus the Watch AFL app incl. Fox Footy shows) here:

https://www.watchafl.com.au/offer

Just watch the replay and if I was the Bombers coach I would be a little bit annoyed at what Daniher did to Atkins. There is no need for it. If he needs to do that, his mind isn't on the job imo. I'm sure Atkins nor the Crows didn't care and I don't care from a fans point of view.
Who was it that gave JJ a slice of ham after the Geelong game, Taylor? That was bloody funny, Oz humour at its best.
Daniher behaves like a goofy, big-kid, whose body has grown up and his mind is still catching up. Looked to me like he got carried away --- they were down, then a point ahead --- and for all we know Atkins might've given him a bit of stick earlier as well. I saw no harm in it especially when it was revealed they go back to Junior footy and are mates.
Worsfold said in his presser there was nothing to it, certainly didn't appear annoyed. Storm in a teacup, nothing in it.
(P.S. Later --- this sums it up well
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/li...s/news-story/91093514d260a4beeb3d4becbe52d3b5)
You might be right about his mind not being on the job in a professional sense (which would be to our advantage, btw), but I kinda liked the fact that he was enjoying the game and messing around a bit. He'll grow out of that soon enough, but in the meantime it's refreshing to see someone having a bit of fun with a mate in the heat of the moment.
It was beat up by commentary and later on Channels 7 and 9 who should have made more imo of the Toby Greene sprig-face-kick. I can't believe the benign, don't care responses to that, because
1) I've never seen it before, not by someone receiving a handball ffs, and
2) do we want to see players defend their territory by a jump-and-kick to the head?
Given Greene's record and propensity for scummy hits and dirty play, I'm hoping the MRP delivers a message to all players --- "Don't kick oncoming opponents in the face" --- and give Greene at least 2 weeks' suspension.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matt Crouch is up there with the best one-touch players in the comp. He was so clean on Saturday night. Just plucks the ball out of congestion and flicks the ball out to a spare man. His historic weakness, his kicking, has improved as well. I think this is largely down to decision-making rather than skills. Rather than trying to kick it lace-out 50m, he wheels onto the left and pinpoints 25-30m passes. Knows his limitations and plays within them.

That half volley pick up and then quick feed to Smith for the left foot snap was a thing of beauty. I was aroused.

Agreed: they were very kind in the first quarter. We were somewhat lucky. The umpiring was very strange: first, they paid us a lot of HTBs where there was no prior opportunity (fixed up later), and they made a lot of schoolboy errors missing touched balls, etc., then "fixing" this by not paying marks that are paid every day, where the oppo touch the ball simultaneously with the mark. But, they were not biased, as far as I could see.
I thought it was quite the opposite, especially for key decisions against us - e.g. Daniher...holds Talia by jumper, ump looks the other way and pays the mark, then when a similar thing happens when opposed to Lever, they pay the free to Daniher. There were a number of instances like that throughout the game. I think the Bombers did fairly well from them to be honest.
Best thing about our game was our tackling and positioning, and our ability to wrestle back the momentum on more than once occasion. Apart from a few easy misses which allowed them to have a sniff, I thought we were pretty good across the board. Eddie is the one that concerns me most - sometimes I think he tries too hard - going for big marks, etc., and other times sits back too much. He's at his most dangerous when front and centre and crumbing at full pace.

Loved our intensity and the way we snuffed them out each time they came at us. Even contribution with a few standing out. I reckon we have the best balanced side in the AFL.
One concern was the number of gimmies missed, especially in the last q. Swans won't be as kind as Dons. They are the side that has allowed the fewest inside 50s since Round 7. We need to nail our shots on Friday.

I didn't like Daniher when he first came onto the scene mainly due to his moustache. I'm starting to like him now though as he does look like he really enjoys his footy and doesn't take it too seriously. He can back it up too.

Nothing wrong with what he did considering they're mates.

Coaches votes

9 – Matt Crouch (Adel)
7 – Brodie Smith (Adel)
5 – Rory Atkins (Adel)
3 – Richard Douglas (Adel)
3 – Josh Jenkins (Adel)
3 – Andrew McGrath (Ess)

So, (5: Mrouch, 4: Smith, 3: McGrath, 2: Douglas, 1: Jenkins) (5: Atkins, 4: Crouch, 3: Smith, 2: Jenkins, 1: Douglas)

Coaches votes

9 – Matt Crouch (Adel)
7 – Brodie Smith (Adel)
5 – Rory Atkins (Adel)
3 – Josh Jenkins (Adel)
3 – Andrew McGrath (Ess)

So, (5: Mrouch, 4: Smith, 3: McGrath, 2: Douglas, 1: Jenkins) (5: Atkins, 4: Crouch, 3: Smith, 2: Jenkins, 1: Douglas)
McGrath was very good, although Eddie still did some nice things at times

Coaches votes

9 – Matt Crouch (Adel)
7 – Brodie Smith (Adel)
5 – Rory Atkins (Adel)
3 – Josh Jenkins (Adel)
3 – Andrew McGrath (Ess)

I think the second one is more likely to be Pyke's votes, which meant he rated RAT better than Crouch!

Coaches votes

9 – Matt Crouch (Adel)
7 – Brodie Smith (Adel)
5 – Rory Atkins (Adel)
3 – Josh Jenkins (Adel)
3 – Andrew McGrath (Ess)

Could be..
5 Mrouch
4. Atkins
3. Douglas
2. Smith
1. McGrath

5. Smith
4. Mrouch
3. Jenkins
2. McGrath
1. Atkins

Actually, there are quite a few permutations, given that 3 players each picked up 3 votes, with no way of differentiating between them.

Could be..
5 Mrouch
4. Atkins
3. Douglas
2. Smith
1. McGrath

5. Smith
4. Mrouch
3. Jenkins
2. McGrath
1. Atkins

Actually, there are quite a few permutations, given that 3 players each picked up 3 votes, with no way of differentiating between them.
So two former Premiership players, one also a Premiership coach both rated M. Crouch best and 2nd best on field, starting to get a bit regular, reckon it might be about time the wascally Wabbit took his seat at the table for a big hearty serving of humble pie.....

Have to say I was impressed with our ability to withstand their fluke ridden shots at goal Saturday night. With so much on the line it would be normal of us to drop the bundle.

Brouch- Pretty poor and rumbly most of the night. Kicked a nice goal but that's it.

Knight- Some very ordinary, some very good. Burnt his teammates on a couple of occasions but kicked a goal and worked hard.

Jenkins- 21 touches, 11 marks and 3 goals isn't a bad nights work. Can still do more which is pleasing.

Lever- Not his best night but did some decent things at times.

Kelly- Very good again and earned his latest pay cheque. Most improved for the year.

Sloane- Good without being great. Just doing his bit now with others stepping up.

Talia- Just doesn't look right and should be rested if we have a replacement.

Tex- Feared for him early days but he played a solid game. His field kicking is as good as anyone's, that pass to Smithers.......... wow.

DMac- Are we finally, after 8 years, seeing what we thought we would after his finals series in 09 ?? But seriously he's in good nick and loves the snap goal.

Brown- Just does his job every week without fanfare.

Betts- Got beaten badly for one of few times this year. Still setup a couple.

Greenwood- A monster. Didn't have the impact of last week but hit the scoreboard..... And the opposition.

Rat- Best game for quite some time. Did the hard work as well as the clever stuff.

Charlie- Hmmmmm what to do. We are carrying him no doubt in the hope he explodes. Haven't seen much for a while.

Sauce- Good game but again not the impact of the week before. Will go close to AA.

Douglas- Career best footy at the moment. Has really stepped up, kicked a couple of settling goals and was class throughout.

Lynch- Shocking miss aside he was his usual bloody good self. That vital linkman.

Laird- Super composure all game, provided vital run as always.

Smith- Best game in a long time, confidence looks well and truly back. Has added some toughness.

Gov- Bits and pieces game but he did some important things and kicked important goals. Does miss some easy ones though.

Keath- Very very good, especially when playing on Moe Joe. Looks to be growing into the role quarter by quarter.

Mrouch- Someone had better measure up that yellow jacket. Either that or call the police because he will have been robbed. Rarely makes a mistake.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good/Bad v Essendon, Round 21. TOP 2 = SEALED

Remove this Banner Ad

Back