Review R20: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Hawthorn

How many more games will we win this year?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

When we're under the pump, our strategy is to slow things down and control the ball

The trouble is when we do this it becomes impossible for us to score. Ball movement grinds to a halt. Slow, safe switches. It fails every time but we keep going back to it
And we don’t have the skill to maintain the ball for long, so inevitably we have to bomb it down the line, giving the opposition team every chance to intercept and start their attack.

Good: 1st quarter was yet another sign that our best is as good as anyones.
Curtin’s 1st 10 mins as a glimpse of special talent
Bond was excellent when the game was competitive.
Top 4 draft pick looking more likely.

Bad: Selecting Himmelberg along with all the other talls against one of the fastest, fittest and most nimble teams. Perplexingly stupid. It’s not like marking is a strength of any of our talls outside of TT. Gave us an obvious disadvantage and we paid for it.

Ugly: Berry fumbling the opening handball of the game, getting 12 possessions, mostly ineffective, zero defensive rebounds showing how hard he’s working back and letting his opponents constantly waltz out of stoppage. Understand he wasn’t alone but I only have time to berate one player right now. Feel he does more harm than good and hopefully he’s somewhere else next year.

20 pages into the thread, have we come up with anything good yet?
Imo, our list is as good as the Hawks, so change the coach & we can make finals.

Hawks showed how a coach can rebuild a young group within a few years... & it doesn't take 7 if done properly.

Good: 1st quarter was yet another sign that our best is as good as anyones.
Curtin’s 1st 10 mins as a glimpse of special talent
Bond was excellent when the game was competitive.
Top 4 draft pick looking more likely.

Bad: Selecting Himmelberg along with all the other talls against one of the fastest, fittest and most nimble teams. Perplexingly stupid. It’s not like marking is a strength of any of our talls outside of TT. Gave us an obvious disadvantage and we paid for it.

Ugly: Berry fumbling the opening handball of the game, getting 12 possessions, mostly ineffective, zero defensive rebounds showing how hard he’s working back and letting his opponents constantly waltz out of stoppage. Understand he wasn’t alone but I only have time to berate one player right now. Feel he does more harm than good and hopefully he’s somewhere else next year.
our best is good as anyone. but we are not consistent.... especially our senior blokes that game... Tex and laird

The others like murphy, jones, and Obrien are bog average

sholl, keays, Michalanney, soligo, thilthorpe, rachele, fogarty and hinge are solid players

dowling, bond, cook, curtin and nankervis are inexperience so give them time

borlase, berry, keane, and himmelberg should be on the delist and trade pile.

i just wish i can add murphy and jones on the delist/ trade pile but they are contracted so unlikely.

Identifying talent does take time but we have given some players too much time
mchenry, murphy, himmelberg, o'brien.

then the classic of holding on too long the older players: sloane and smith

and then playing playing players out of position and not performing in those roles.
laird (still there) and keays into midfield, pedlar, cook and dowling up forward. nankervis and curtin down back etc etc

mchenry, murphy, himmelberg, o'brien.

then the classic of holding on too long the older players: sloane and smith

and then playing playing players out of position and not performing in those roles.
laird (still there) and keays into midfield, pedlar, cook and dowling up forward. nankervis and curtin down back etc etc
61 games wasted on Schoenberg too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imo, our list is as good as the Hawks, so change the coach & we can make finals.

Hawks showed how a coach can rebuild a young group within a few years... & it doesn't take 7 if done properly.
There’s plenty to be upset about given our ladder position and performances. But I agree here. We are a couple of gun mids and a new coach away from being a very good team.

We all had great expectations this year that just haven’t been met. The first 4 rounds were deplorable and “underwhelming” would be a kind descriptive of our season since. Punctuated by a few highlights that show that we are capable of competing with the top teams.

We aren’t that far away if hard decisions are made, that really aren’t that hard to see. It’s like replacing Joe Biden.

Smith has had an average year but him and Sloane don't belong with the rest of that list
Agreed, but Smith has had a below average year. He’s been a great player but is no longer AFL standard. Even his kick ins from Full back have been ordinary.

He has a trigger for next year and to be fair to him, he’s earned that, as he has been a great player over his career. The problem is that we keep selecting him. Smith should be seeing out his career in the SANFL.

"If you won't defend, pack your bags and go,"

He's full of shit.

You didn't need the first sentence.

I mentioned the exactly same thing to my mate during the game... wtf was ROB doing blocking up our forward line when we were playing 4 talls!

Further, what is the point in him outmarking them as he is such a poor kick for goal.

He should be a kick behind the play blocking the rebound.

Yet another one of Nicks incompetence - allowing ROB to venture into our forward half.

It makes no sense whatsoever, horrible horrible coaching from a guy that does not have a feel for the game.

61 games wasted on Schoenberg too.
Those games weren’t wasted, just like Berrys games weren’t wasted. You need to play them see if they will make it, and he showed some early promise. It didn’t turn out, but it’s not in the same league as eg Murphy, or late period Sloane/Smith.

You have to play the kids to see if the kids will make it.

Interesting Point from Blighty. I remember Laird stopping
Thanks for posting that
I haven't watched the game, but Blighty is spot on. Weed out the downhill skiers, and I'm not talking about the blokes who run like Hell to get into position for Joe-the-Goose goals.
I can think of a few try-hard Crows when the going's good but stop trying when we're getting done or when it becomes too hard. I hate to say it, but Laird is one.
I didn't know Hawthorn kicked 13 on the trot, unanswered :sadv1: :mad:.
That's a disgrace for a team which led 5.6 to 5.0 at Quarter time.

Can anyone tell me what, if anything, Nicks did to stop their momentum or made any changes to mix it up a bit?

You didn't need the first sentence.

Yet another one of Nicks incompetence - allowing ROB to venture into our forward half.

It makes no sense whatsoever, horrible horrible coaching from a guy that does not have a feel for the game.

His competing for marks against our KPFs isn't as funny as when he stands 15m on the defensive side of a F50 ruck contest. Both have been going on for years, so it's not an error in his game, it's a feature.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R20: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Hawthorn

Back