Good Friday footy - what's the pass mark for the crowd?

Remove this Banner Ad

From reading this thread, I see that most of the noise seems to be coming from Carlton, Essendon and Richmond supporters

If "noise" = comments, you'd be right. The thread title poses a question that has been duly answered.

The timeslot has been eyed off for many years, so it's incumbent on the two chosen clubs to make it a success.

Put tomorrows night game on free to air and make Friday's a Foxtel deal and that might entice a few more fans to the game.

Yes, because we have the power to make the corporations that purchased 10k reserved seats to make sure they utilise all their seats, even though it has never hit its theoretical capacity before.

Collingwood and Essendon do not fill out the stadium.

Perhaps you can raise the bar of unreasonable expectation higher so you can be convinced it was a failure no matter what the outcome. Why not go for 70k. If Jesus could resurrect, surely we could exceed capacity, right?

So what you are saying is - North is just hoping for the best.

Perhaps North should have considered doing a bit of marketing ahead of this game.

Let's face it, there has been almost nothing in the papers or on line promoting the GF clash at Etihad.

A picture of Brad Scott in the paper with a sick kid at the RCH just isn't enough.

Honestly a crowd of 50,000 must be considered to be the pass mark.

So what you are saying is - North is just hoping for the best.

Perhaps North should have considered doing a bit of marketing ahead of this game.

Let's face it, there has been almost nothing in the papers or on line promoting the GF clash at Etihad.

A picture of Brad Scott in the paper with a sick kid at the RCH just isn't enough.

Honestly a crowd of 50,000 must be considered to be the pass mark.

There is no point for the club to promote the game, all the tickets that can be purchased will be purchased, if not before the game then on the day. The difference between sell-out and capacity is how many of the corporate purchased seating is utilised, this is beyond the club's control to manage, we don't have access to the mailing list of non-North etihad members, we can't reach them. Etihad is in control of marketing and management of their third party stadium members. Those seats have already been purchased, there is nothing we can do to sell seats that have already been sold. If someone buys a ticket or a reserved seat, then we can't control if they choose to show up or not and we don't have access to them to encourage them to show up.

I would expect a lot of those corporate seats to be used on the night, but how many is beyond our control. All we can control is the seats that are available for sale and the bays reserved for our members.

I maintain that the Showdown is the perfect clash for Good Friday.

Thing about standalone marquee matches... particularly those on public holidays when people who aren't normally into footy might be flicking around on TV... is you need it to be a marketing tool. You want them to see something great that will get them in.

The Showdown is probably the one game which will always produce an emotional spectacle and palpable atmosphere no matter what. The Derby as well I guess, but the Showdown is another level.

Crows v Port in the City of Churches would work best as a permanent fixture imo and the AFL could really create something with it.

North v Bulldogs seems just a strange choice. There's no current, geographic or traditional rivalry, I don't really see what it presents for the neutral.

Of course footy fans will still watch it, but for others who are bored and tune in, will it really be an atmosphere that grabs them?

I'm not saying either of those clubs shouldn't be involved, its just an odd matchup for mine. I'm sure if you asked both sets of fans who they consider their rivals, the other wouldn't be high up the list. I'm sure if you told either club they were to host the game and could have their pick of opponents to ensure a sellout and great atmosphere, neither would choose the other.

For all the myriad of options and combinations available, for all the massive buildup to footy on "the most boring day of the year", which has gone on for decades... if we have a game that can't even sell out a 50k stadium, it all seems very odd.

North seem to believe they have a birthright to it. If that is the case, ok. Tell them it's there's to host where they want against who they want to ensure the best game, crowd, event and atmosphere. I highly doubt they'd have picked the Bulldogs.

I maintain that the Showdown is the perfect clash for Good Friday.

Thing about standalone marquee matches... particularly those on public holidays when people who aren't normally into footy might be flicking around on TV... is you need it to be a marketing tool. You want them to see something great that will get them in.

The Showdown is probably the one game which will always produce an emotional spectacle and palpable atmosphere no matter what. The Derby as well I guess, but the Showdown is another level.

Crows v Port in the City of Churches would work best as a permanent fixture imo and the AFL could really create something with it.

North v Bulldogs seems just a strange choice. There's no current, geographic or traditional rivalry, I don't really see what it presents for the neutral.

Of course footy fans will still watch it, but for others who are bored and tune in, will it really be an atmosphere that grabs them?

I'm not saying either of those clubs shouldn't be involved, its just an odd matchup for mine. I'm sure if you asked both sets of fans who they consider their rivals, the other wouldn't be high up the list. I'm sure if you told either club they were to host the game and could have their pick of opponents to ensure a sellout and great atmosphere, neither would choose the other.

For all the myriad of options and combinations available, for all the massive buildup to footy on "the most boring day of the year", which has gone on for decades... if we have a game that can't even sell out a 50k stadium, it all seems very odd.

North seem to believe they have a birthright to it. If that is the case, ok. Tell them it's there's to host where they want against who they want to ensure the best game, crowd, event and atmosphere. I highly doubt they'd have picked the Bulldogs.

Honestly - If all 17 other AFL clubs were granted their pick of who they would like to play on GF

Would any team actually choose North?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't care if there is no one there!

I just want some footy on my telly on this slow boring day.

Always been perplexed by the need for it to be a blockbuster and or have it in Melbourne?

Simple solution to the concern of distracting from RCH appeal would have been to have the game elsewhere!!

Nope, shit clubs with no premierships don't get big attendances

Oh I was confused because you said 114k at the first Anzac Day game.

Btw you do know who holds the record for highest H&A attendance in history right? Wouldn't want to make a fool of yourself.

Last edited:
It is such a boring day, surely there'll be a lot of neutral walk-ups? Whenever good friday footy has been mentioned in the past i've always thought it should be a lockout crowd.

Having it at Docklands will probably deter that. Firstly people will assume most tickets already sold and secondly people now how hard it is to just walk up and get a ticket at Docklands - you have to get there at least an hour earlier than you otherwise would just because of the queues and their stupid ticketing system.

Honestly - If all 17 other AFL clubs were granted their pick of who they would like to play on GF

Most clubs waived their right to Good Friday games by propping up their bottom line and bleeding the community with insidious machines that are designed to trap and exploit the vulnerable.

As guests of the Royal Children's hospital and NMFC the Dogs have the opportunity to pass on some of the blood money to more worthy causes than hiring throwing coaches and annual calf blood holidays.

As the only club that has pioneered Good Friday football for decades, is in close proximity to the Children's hospital, refrains from assisting suicide with pokies, is genuinely and historically the only club with an honorable culture and doesn't currently have a blockbuster fixture, I think it's more of a matter of North eventually determining which tainted business they battle on Good Friday for charitable endevours. :thumbsu:

Will be a solid 49,000 there and a refreshing change of priorities from the greed based circle jerk of mobs of 11 game members and their underperforming clubs being whipped into a frenzy by the AFL over how relevant they are by consuming AFL and its associated sponsors.

There is no point for the club to promote the game, all the tickets that can be purchased will be purchased, if not before the game then on the day. The difference between sell-out and capacity is how many of the corporate purchased seating is utilised, this is beyond the club's control to manage, we don't have access to the mailing list of non-North etihad members, we can't reach them. Etihad is in control of marketing and management of their third party stadium members. Those seats have already been purchased, there is nothing we can do to sell seats that have already been sold. If someone buys a ticket or a reserved seat, then we can't control if they choose to show up or not and we don't have access to them to encourage them to show up.

I would expect a lot of those corporate seats to be used on the night, but how many is beyond our control. All we can control is the seats that are available for sale and the bays reserved for our members.

You dont get corporates interested by not promoting it though

North and the dogs should be in the media daily pushing this game - hard.

You dont make a blockbuster just by picking the date on the calendar, you have to get out there and create a buzz and excitement about the game.

I should be sick of hearing about this game by now on sen. Instead im sick of hearing about hawthorn. Guess which game im most invested in now outside the tigs?

You dont make a blockbuster just by picking the date on the calendar, you have to get out there and create a buzz and excitement about the game.

I should be sick of hearing about this game by now on sen. Instead im sick of hearing about hawthorn. Guess which game im most invested in now outside the tigs?

Quality Post

Unfortunately all throughout North's history they have proved themselves to be the club that just flies in and flies out. They historicaly do just enough to get the match payments - nothing more

(Did no community work while playing in Sydney and Canberra as a prime example)

Look what Collingwood and Essendon have done the with Anzac day game. Corporates literally fall over one another to attend this game.

Yet all North seen to have done to promote the inaugural GF clash at Etihad is to send Brad Scott along to the RCH to get his picture taken with a sick kid.

There's a narrative that North should get Good Friday. The AFL seem to agree, so that's fine.

If that's the case they should have been given the opportunity to negotiate and pick a willing opponent to make the absolute best go of it possible. They themselves want to make it an annual event.

The Bulldogs seems an odd choice. If North did in fact choose the Dogs, I'm a bit unsure as to why.

Next year they'll market the shit out of it.

There's an unknown/Religious/unchartered element to this game and not falling flat on their faces seems part of the AFL and both teams priorities. Channel 7 and fox could be doing better advertising.

Getting through with a decent turnout/showing for North/Dogs is enough to consolidate the fixture and ensure the annual fixture is a success for the hospital and the AFL.

The absurdity of how North are being run onfield and the required cull (onfield and off) should be dealt with at a later date when the media and club ordered suppression of everything Brad Scott is lifted.

The entrenched mediocrity and hiding from hard calls will continue to cause end of season shit storms until they sweep the the place once and for all.

Luckily Scott's style of coaching is suited to stadiums with a roof so don't be surprised if North get up in a tight one.

Just don't let the coaching staff know they are rubbish at the game...
IMG_8051.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Good Friday footy - what's the pass mark for the crowd?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back