Preview Grand Final 2024 - Sydney Swans / South Melbourne Bloods vs Brisbane Bears/ Fitzroy Lions - The Big Dance

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find the most fascinating aspect to be who JJ goes to.

Sometimes Horse sends him to the most damaging rebound defender (think Clarke at Freo).

Sometimes he sends him to a prime mover in the midfield (think Butters in the prelim).

I suspect Parker goes to Zorko.

Which leaves me none the wiser as to JJ’s target.

Starcevich is probably the Lions most important rebounder (setting Zorko aside), Wilmot next in line.

Or will he look to annoy McLuggage?

I really have no idea this week & I can’t recall who JJ played on when last we played the Lions.
Someone also needs to make Rayner accountable - his ability to tear games apart is absurd.

I find the most fascinating aspect to be who JJ goes to.

Sometimes Horse sends him to the most damaging rebound defender (think Clarke at Freo).

Sometimes he sends him to a prime mover in the midfield (think Butters in the prelim).

I suspect Parker goes to Zorko.

Which leaves me none the wiser as to JJ’s target.

Starcevich is probably the Lions most important rebounder (setting Zorko aside), Wilmot next in line.

Or will he look to annoy McLuggage?

I really have no idea this week & I can’t recall who JJ played on when last we played the Lions.

I remember in our game earlier in the season. Zorko was dominating early and then they moved Gulden on to him and completely changed the game, as Zorko doesn't want to be accountable for anyone.

Brisbane have a stack of dangerous players, but I'd be putting Jordon on McCluggage.

Fit Mills > Fox

Unfit Mills < Fox

Yep can't argue, and if he isn't fit don't pick him. But if he just had a niggle and is now running hard and can play then he will is my guess.

Mills has been thrown around a bit too though, feels like we are setting the bar lower for Fox imho.

I mean both are good and will do the job if asked.

May come down to matchups
Mills hasn't played a game this year, as good, and against a team as good, or in form, like Fox did against the team we're playing this week.

Mills was put into the mids/wing straight away and only after that clearly wasn't working, went back.

Mills hasn't played a game this year, as good, and against a team as good, or in form, like Fox did against the team we're playing this week.

Mills was put into the mids/wing straight away and only after that clearly wasn't working, went back.

Mills hasn't played a good game this year ? 😂 ok we just disagree sorry. I thought he was finding some good form and making us better. Clearly was in front of Fox prior to injury and rightly so.

Yep can't argue, and if he isn't fit don't pick him. But if he just had a niggle and is now running hard and can play then he will is my guess.
As long as he undergoes better stress testing than whatever we did with Reid. Assume that was just "can you make it through the red rooster drive thru in under 10 minutes".

If Logan looks proppy still, and Mills is fit, I'd play both Mills (on Andrews) and Fox (on Rayner). Parker acts as a target and gets some bursts in midfield.

We may have Campbell to consider as well, if he looks hampered by his groin. Cleary as sub would be the pick for me there though.

If we make their defenders accountable and actually defend, we will win. Zorko, Andrews and Wilmot all love to zone/run off their opponents. Force the turnover and get it back in quickly.

Mills hasn't played a good game this year ? ok we just disagree sorry. I thought he was finding some good form and making us better. Clearly was in front of Fox prior to injury and rightly so.
That's not what I said? I said the post before he had a couple of good games.

Disagree he was clearly in front of Fox, because Fox was injured in the first of those games.

I remember in our game earlier in the season. Zorko was dominating early and then they moved Gulden on to him and completely changed the game, as Zorko doesn't want to be accountable for anyone.

Brisbane have a stack of dangerous players, but I'd be putting Jordon on McCluggage.
Agree. McCluggage was really important getting Brisbane back in it last night and leads their midfield for score involvements for the season. Hard to tackle too as he's built like a suitcase. If not JJ, then Rowie.

Really hope the match committee don’t make the same error we did in 2022 by selecting a player under an injury cloud. Would’ve thought we had learnt our lesson the hard way and I’m just not sure how they can be totally convinced Mills is fit to endure 120 mins of intense footy. Fox is fully fit and keeps his spot. Shouldn’t even be a difficult decision.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never forget 2014. We had a stress free prelim final, Hawthorn beat Port in an absolute nail biter in the other one.

We came into the gf a strong favourite (I think Hawks were $3 or something). Hawks came in with white line fever with bully tactics and ultra physicality and we melted..

I hope the boys are ready for a possible similar tactic from Brisbane.

It will all come down to the start and our mental attitude.

The academy whinging is up and about on the book.
I get why other teams complain about the academies.

It pisses me off watching clubs like the Bulldogs and Collingwood get top players every other year for half their value, so I can see why it would annoy other teams' supporters when we get someone.

There is a weird obsession though with our academy over the other three. I doubt most supporters even know that Harris Andrews, Eric Hipwood, Keidean Coleman and Ben Keays were academy selections.

Once Perryman and Cumming leave, that will be 5 first round picks that GWS have gotten through their academy and let go to other clubs. Then you include players like Jack Steele, Zac Williams, Jeremy Finlayson, Cooper Sharman.

Yet all we ever hear about is Heeney, Mills and Blakey. We seem to be in the gun for not just developing players, but retaining them. No one has an issue with GWS having an academy, because most of them end up at Victorian clubs anyway.

Thankfully though, after years of dithering, the AFL have put in a much fairer bidding system for these players from next year. So the fairness aspect of the academies will pretty much be mute, even if the whinging isn't.

I can't see McDonald missing out unless his injury is serious and he can't move. After 2022, it would be too cruel for him to miss out again.

He'll probably be hampered and below his best, but should still be able to lead at the ball and should at least provide a contest.

Concerning part would be his ability to apply defensive pressure, and no doubt Fagan would be looking to exploit that, but as a team it's something we'll need to help cover.

Be nervous as hell if Mills is picked, but as long as they've learned from the Reid scenario and genuinely done rigorous testing, not the close enough and jab it up or whatever the hell they did back then. I won't pretend to be a medico, 18 days sound too short but it's very close to the timeframe too. So as long as Mills is genuine and if he picks himself it's because he's truly fit and properly tested it out. Obviously as captain if genuinely fit, he would play be a good in.
If he were to play and plays poorly or worse, does a hammy, and we lose it's virtually unforgiveable - obviously if we somehow still won in that scenario it would get masked over, but still wouldn't be a great look.

Whether Mills or Fox (if Mills isn't fit) I think that extra mid sized player would be useful in the 22. Campbell to be sub imo, not looking 100% himself but trying to get a 15-20 minute burst like in the first final may be best use of him.

I've gone the ultra pessimistic route for this post and assumed Logan, Mills and Campbell all miss due to their injury concerns.

This is the team we could still line up with and I think it's pretty good.

Out: McDonald Campbell
In: Fox Cleary Adams

FB: Cunningham TMac Rampe
HB: Fox Melican Blakey
C: Gulden Warner Florent
HF: Hayward McLean Jordon (on Zorko, or push up after bounces to a mid)
FF: Cleary Amartey Papley
R: Grundy Heeney Rowbottom
Int: Lloyd Jmac Roberts Parker
Sub: Adams

If we stuck with the 3 KPFs, then it'd have to be Hamling (send him straight to Andrews), Parker to sub.

Much has been said about the Lions smalls up forward creating pressure, so I've gone with Cleary over Adams to do that ourselves (along with Papley, Parker at stoppages).

I can't see McDonald missing out unless his injury is serious and he can't move. After 2022, it would be too cruel for him to miss out again.

He'll probably be hampered and below his best, but should still be able to lead at the ball and should at least provide a contest.

Concerning part would be his ability to apply defensive pressure, and no doubt Fagan would be looking to exploit that, but as a team it's something we'll need to help cover.
If he's hampered and unable to apply any defensive pressure, push up the ground, then no, don't play him.

Yeah, it's cruel, but also cruel is taking hampered players into a GF and that impacting the chances of the other players winning a flag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back