Preview Grand Final 2024 - Sydney Swans / South Melbourne Bloods vs Brisbane Bears/ Fitzroy Lions - The Big Dance

Remove this Banner Ad

Horse will become the 19th coach to coach 5 grand finals or more.

If we lose he has the worst losing percentage of the lot by a fair way. He becomes the outlier to all the other great coaches, no one has had that level of big stage failure and kept getting chances.

However , if we win he moves up with Harry , Blight and ahead of Malthouse, Kyne, Dick Reynolds.

Massive opportunity for our coach .

He would be an absolute coaching legend with just one different result
Chris Scott was looking at a similar fork in the road a couple of years ago.

Chris Scott was looking at a similar fork in the road a couple of years ago.

Absolutely, I think Horse can do it , he may move up next year even more

Found a game where it was Brodie v Fort both as primary rucks from 2020, Pies v Cats. Keeping in mind the games were shortened in 2020 due to covid but:

Grundy 19 disposals, 5 marks, 3 tackles, 46 hitouts for 119 ranking points ToG 92%

Versus

Fort 8 disposals, 3 marks, 3 tackles, 23 hitouts for 58 ranking points ToG 80%

Another game like the above for Saturday would be nice......

It's interesting how at the height of ~Craig McCrae Mania~ many thought it was a sign newer younger coaches were the way to go.

This year's grand finalists:
Horse - 14th season
Fagan - 8th season

The losing prelim finalists:
Hinkley - 12th season
Scott - 14th season

Lions are 22-4 for first quarters. So long as we are in it come quarter time we will run them down.
If we don't match them early we're done for. They're too good to run down in a final quarter.

If we don't match them early we're done for. They're too good to run down in a final quarter.
Their last quarters are actually their worst, 12 wins, 12 losses and 2 draws.

Compared to us 17 wins and 8 losses it show's we're likely to run it out

You get the feeling if we are within a sniff at the half we will win it. If we lead at the half by 2-3 goals I’ll be very confident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice post, very fair.
JJ to Zorko. He doesn't play a traditional hard tag niggly stuff, just gives no space and sweats on him. Has done this kind of thing all year.
Rowbottom on Neale in tight but I doubt we'll run a genuine tag on him.
McDonald might be a bit risky for Payne because he covers a lot of territory and a lot of minutes. I thought he would go to Amartey and Lester to McDonald. We'll see.
Andrews will want to zone off and if you watched our PF he could get isolated. 🤞
Berry will be on someone for sure and he better have his running boots on!
Weirdly I think your hardest matchup there might be Hayward. Again, running boots needed.
Both teams' mids dangerous in attack.
Let's hope the umps have no influence on the outcome!
Yeah interesting point re Hayward, he troubled us last time on one leg! Suspect Wilmot gets him.
Payne does tent to stay deep so i might be wrong about McDonald.

the thing about 2016 is there was such a massive crowd bias for the dogs. You’d think this will be 50/50. Maybe even swans with more given a bigger melbourne supporter base. Neutrals seem slightly towards us but neutrals never make as much noise!

IF we get a rain soaked day - despite the clear sky predictions - what changes? Lions have used the handball a lot recently.
Mills in for sure (if healthy), Fox misses out if it's wet?

Probably a game that would suit Adams over Campbell for sub too. But I don't think they'd go that far.

At the moment they're reminding me of our 2005 season where we were coming from behind and winning and just kept on rolling right into the GF. That's what scares me.

I'm hoping they've run out of legs but you never know.

At the moment they're reminding me of our 2005 season where we were coming from behind and winning and just kept on rolling right into the GF. That's what scares me.

I'm hoping they've run out of legs but you never know.

True, but teams dont often limp into a granny out of form

Found a game where it was Brodie v Fort both as primary rucks from 2020, Pies v Cats. Keeping in mind the games were shortened in 2020 due to covid but:

Grundy 19 disposals, 5 marks, 3 tackles, 46 hitouts for 119 ranking points ToG 92%

Versus

Fort 8 disposals, 3 marks, 3 tackles, 23 hitouts for 58 ranking points ToG 80%

Another game like the above for Saturday would be nice......
Fort is a year older than Brodie too so it's not like he's improved a lot in that time.

Sounds like he's a pretty dominant VFL ruckman but just can't take that next step up

More analysis in here than the current Middle East situation.

Good work.

Personally. 95% of it is overcooked.

If the swans come to play with intensity. They will win. IMO.
It's 100% in their head. Confidence and intent.

The swans best is better than the lions best this season.

I had my worries before the Port game.

Now. Not so much.

Fort is a year older than Brodie too so it's not like he's improved a lot in that time.

Sounds like he's a pretty dominant VFL ruckman but just can't take that next step up
Let's hope he leaves his form in the VFL - the last thing we need is another player who plays the game of his life in a GF against us only to never be sighted again

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Grand Final 2024 - Sydney Swans / South Melbourne Bloods vs Brisbane Bears/ Fitzroy Lions - The Big Dance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back