Preview Grand Final 2024 - Sydney Swans / South Melbourne Bloods vs Brisbane Bears/ Fitzroy Lions - The Big Dance

Remove this Banner Ad

Fort is a year older than Brodie too so it's not like he's improved a lot in that time.

Sounds like he's a pretty dominant VFL ruckman but just can't take that next step up
Let's hope he leaves his form in the VFL - the last thing we need is another player who plays the game of his life in a GF against us only to never be sighted again

Found a game where it was Brodie v Fort both as primary rucks from 2020, Pies v Cats. Keeping in mind the games were shortened in 2020 due to covid but:

Grundy 19 disposals, 5 marks, 3 tackles, 46 hitouts for 119 ranking points ToG 92%

Versus

Fort 8 disposals, 3 marks, 3 tackles, 23 hitouts for 58 ranking points ToG 80%

Another game like the above for Saturday would be nice......
Grundy has no excuses. I fully expect him to have a massive influence especially as the game gets into the second half.

More analysis in here than the current Middle East situation.

Good work.

Personally. 95% of it is overcooked.

If the swans come to play with intensity. They will win. IMO.
It's 100% in their head. Confidence and intent.

The swans best is better than the lions best this season.

I had my worries before the Port game.

Now. Not so much.
The Port game felt like a real statement from our boys. Biggest game of the year against our most difficult opponent, and we didn't even need to do it ugly. We just turned up to play and said "let's ****ing do this"

To be perfectly honest, my gut feeling says we won't show up either, so I don't blame them. We've been burned a few times by this team.

My heart says swans.
My head says swans.
My gut says lions.

Don't like it one bit.

I'm just going to try to enjoy the day and the privilege of seeing us in another Grand Final.
I think you've been sucked in by the media this week.

We lost to Brisbane on a hot day by 2 points with bookends injured at their joint. They had Big O. We have Rampe Papley a fit Hayward and Rowbottom to come into that side.

My everything wants us to win but I still don't really trust us. I can see us playing like the Richmond game.

We lost to Brisbane on a hot day by 2 points with bookends injured at their joint. They had Big O. We have Rampe Papley a fit Hayward and Rowbottom to come into that side.

My everything wants us to win but I still don't really trust us. I can see us playing like the Richmond game.
We were also starting to fade from a training block. Hayward on one leg as well.

And the gifted goals by the umps - Blakey tunnelled etc.

Our form is resembling the pre bye form. All signs point to bringing our best.

JHWF Believes - and I know you do too.

Ins and outs will be interesting from round 19

Bris
In
Morris, Answerth, Payne, Fort?

Out
McInerney, Joyce, Brain, Reville

Swans
In
Rowbottom, Jmac

Out
Adams, Corey Warner

Looks likey to be changes. Also hopefully having a full complement of players and not losing key cogs like Rampe and Paps in a half.

Last edited:
Maybe its just my silly brain but I'm getting "BraveLions" feelings about this week. All the media seem to be on them. Most neutrals are on them, a couple umps from 2016. It's not the exact same as the Dogs narrative and i'd be happy for the Lions fans, they seem a decent bunch. But man it's going to hurt extra hard if we lose this.

I’m not so worried about them. We I hope are ready to go this time

Only thing is , are they hardened better preparation wise due to there 3 finals and the heat in the games plus the pressure.

Are we going to handle the pressure of a game like last week cats v loins?

2014 was similar preliminaries but then again 22 cats flogged loins

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only thing is , are they hardened better preparation wise due to there 3 finals and the heat in the games plus the pressure.

I wouldn't call their carlton game hard

At the moment they're reminding me of our 2005 season where we were coming from behind and winning and just kept on rolling right into the GF. That's what scares me.

I'm hoping they've run out of legs but you never know.
I don’t recall us being too far behind v saints in 05. Mind you is a looooong time ago

Are the Lions going to give us a lead like they did against GWS and the Cats, and are we a team you can afford to do that against?

Are the Lions going to have tickets left in the tank, given they aren't up against a gassed Geelong side who missed opportunities early?

Everything is going for us which is why my head says swans:

We've got extra rest. Both 1 week and the extra day.
We've got more experience.
We've got a superior ruck now. Their starting ruck is injured.
We've basically got our best 22.
I've been itching for a non-vic team to play and we've got it.
We're playing a team with an even worse MCG record than us.
We had a few of our gun players out in round 19 and had 2-3 players benched and they only just pipped us at their home ground by 2 measly points.
We had a better year than them. Lachie Neale is supposedly carrying an injury.
Brisbane were beaten up by Geelong whereas we had a bruise-free game.
We've had way more experience since 2022. We have a better ruck, an upgrade on Clarke and no Sam Reid. We're stronger in every aspect albeit Paddy McCartin.

That and many other things are going our way.

My heart says the swans too. I truly believe emotionally that we'll decimate the lions.

And yet there's this nagging gut feeling that says we'll have another premiership stolen from us. Subconscious trauma I guess. I went into 2014 and *2016 with supreme confidence. Only to have my heart ripped out each time. 2022 I thought it'd be even and we'd be competitive.

Last time I thought we'd lose a Grand Final and was resigned to defeat was 2012. So maybe the gut feeling is good?

We also have to find the balance between going absolute full boar at the start and having enough petrol in the tank in the last quarter. Can’t have another Bulldogs, Saints situation where we just stopped.

It will be absolutely on at the start but have to play it smart too.

Didn't watch the shows but if they are anything like the rest of the media, finals are all about momentum.
Western Bulldogs popular pick with the momentum, well until they lost, then Hawthorn clear momentum, until they exited, then Geelong......now Brisbane.

Although to give them credit Brisbane did come back from a poor start to finish 5th on the ladder.
On the other hand we only lead the table pretty much throughout the season, finishing 10 points and % ahead of the Lions.

And since our inglorious Rd 21 game v Port we have P5 W5 with a % of 130.6, Brisbane P6 W4 % of 109.1.

Of course maybe the argument is that Brisbane have played 3 sudden death finals and are 'match hardened'.
We on the other hand had a tense tough encounter with GWS, a week off and then an extended training run v Port.
Arguments can be made either way, but I for one prefer our less stressful (physically and mentally) preparation and our lack of travel doesn't hurt either.

Questions on McDonald and Mills, but otherwise essentially a clean bill of health for the rest.
Brisbane have lost their #1 ruck and have long term absentees in Coleman,Gardiner and McCarthy. All 4 played in last year's GF, with 'Kiddy' in particular important with his run.
Zorko has done well in that role this season, with fine support from Wilmot. JJ to step up to the plate again.

O. Mcinerney played all but 1 game this season ( a 54 point loss v GWS in Canberra).
In his absence Fort competed relatively well in the ruck (27 HOs, 5 clearances). For GWS Briggs had 34 &8, but crucially 8 I50s to 2 and double the metres gained.

This is Brodie's moment to shine.
Less concentration on/engagement with the oppo ruck and more focus on the ball and run/spread.

We had 4 players in the AA team, Errol, Chad, Isaac & The Liz.
Crucially all dynamic players.
Stop 1, I'm tipping the others to stand up.

Going to go out on a limb and say I fancy our chances. :cool:
I like your commonsense point of view.

In all honesty we won’t get a better chance for a while. This team can of course make multiple grand finals but as far as stars aligning, we haven’t had a better chance since 2016*.

Brisbane are a worthy opponent. They have what it takes to stop us in our tracks but even as recently as the last game between these teams I thought we showed that we are a class above despite the loss. They played almost as well as they could while we were our own worst enemy and had players going down like flies.

We haven’t left Sydney for 30+ days and we just won a measured, clinical prelim against a team that belted us by over 100 points only a few weeks ago.

Brisbane has had to pull rabbits out of the hat two weeks in a row and now go in without their number one ruck. They're now deficient in an area where we could really take hold of them and further increase the supply to our gun mids.

This isn't to say I'm not nervous as hell and that there's no fear of another massive missed opportunity, but I also feel like it is our time. It has to be and it should be.

Swans by 24.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apply our own run and gun, our own gang pressure tackling, our own bullet passes. Can they run as fast and as long without the ball? Same questions of Brisbane are just as valid. They finished fifth for a reason. Believe. Do not yield to the idea of fear.

Nice post, very fair.
JJ to Zorko. He doesn't play a traditional hard tag niggly stuff, just gives no space and sweats on him. Has done this kind of thing all year.
Rowbottom on Neale in tight but I doubt we'll run a genuine tag on him.
McDonald might be a bit risky for Payne because he covers a lot of territory and a lot of minutes. I thought he would go to Amartey and Lester to McDonald. We'll see.
Andrews will want to zone off and if you watched our PF he could get isolated. 🤞
Berry will be on someone for sure and he better have his running boots on!
Weirdly I think your hardest matchup there might be Hayward. Again, running boots needed.
Both teams' mids dangerous in attack.
Let's hope the umps have no influence on the outcome!
I like JJ on Zorko as JJ is pretty good at getting the odd goal or two while clamping down on his opponent. My understanding is that Zorko is not very accountable, so JJ could be a good fit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Grand Final 2024 - Sydney Swans / South Melbourne Bloods vs Brisbane Bears/ Fitzroy Lions - The Big Dance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back