Preview Grand Final 2024 - Sydney Swans / South Melbourne Bloods vs Brisbane Bears/ Fitzroy Lions - The Big Dance

Remove this Banner Ad

Makes Sense

If Fox is in the 23 I would also prefer it's in the 22.
Assuming Logan is fine, for me the only remaining question mark is whether Campbell's groin is ok. If so, then I still think Fox and Parker win out, and Campbell is sub.

If he's not fully fit, then it opens the door to Cleary or Adams, but for team balance I'd be going Cleary. Though if it were Adams, I'm not going to complain.

Sorry not that one (it was very obvious of Blakey even though I still think the decision was soft).

I meant the call in the first 2 seconds. It went against Grundy. He had his hands ever so gently around the Port ruck’s hips after the tap, but that was all I could see. It appeared to me like the umpire had decided he should play a holding free against Grundy before he even bounced the ball.
Sorry I couldn't tell either.

Assuming Logan is fine, for me the only remaining question mark is whether Campbell's groin is ok. If so, then I still think Fox and Parker win out, and Campbell is sub.

If he's not fully fit, then it opens the door to Cleary or Adams, but for team balance I'd be going Cleary. Though if it were Adams, I'm not going to complain.
Adam’s might have the game of his life given the chance - like Mitch Morton in 2012.

Horse throws a curve ball and puts Fox on Harris Andrews ….. :cool:

Adam’s might have the game of his life given the chance - like Mitch Morton in 2012.
I don't doubt he'd be hungry, and he played well in 2018, in a losing side.

But who does he kick out of the midfield? Heeney or Rowy?

Because he's attended an average 29% of centre bounces, with his high of 48% coming when Rowbottom was out.

He's been fairly average up forward, with Parker a bigger threat.

For me it's a choice between Parker and Adams, unless we lost one of Heeney, Rowy or even JJ.

I was thinking that with Campbell sub. Depends who the coaches see as a bigger threat? Andrews, Neale, their midfield or their run. Who knows? I think Adams is a smoke to be in the team, could see Campbell missing out to accommodate both Adams & Fox as counter to Neale & Andrews. Very very unlikely though.

I think an amazing captain would have ruled himself out and not left it all on the coaches shoulders, 18 days recovery for a hammy was always going to be a risk. Usual threshold is 21 days minimum usually.

To me it feels like a missed opportunity.

I think if Mills was brutally selfless and could see the whole of team perspective clearly, he would have ruled himself out early.

This could have really lifted the team and created clarity, while also supporting positives vibes through the lead up.

Imagine players being asked “It must be so special to have a captain rule themself out like that, how does this make you feel?” instead of “Will Mills play?”.

I think it would be different if the team had relied on Mills all year and he was in stunning form, but neither of these were true. The message received by Mills pushing every stone unturned could be interpreted as that he didn’t trust the players who got to the GF to win the GF, or he really wanted to part of it and lost perspective of the bigger picture (I suspect more likely the latter).

I’m sure that Mills has already jumped to how he can help the team to perform, so I don’t think it is a big negative - just a missed opportunity.

Last edited:
That was how Horse used Fox at the start of the year.

Devastating for Mills.

I know the prevailing sentiment is "right decision" but I would say that if we get done on Saturday, that's simply unknowable.

Is making a definitive call today better than carrying uncertainty through tomorrow? Sure, but there are more stories of champions carrying niggles and outright injuries into big games and getting it done than there are Sam Reid style disasters.

I don't blame them for making the decision they have, and I hope we win and it becomes a footnote, but if the reports of him getting through the fitness test are accurate then I'm going to second guess whether this was the right decision, or one made out of fear of not repeating a mistake fresh in the memory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if Mills felt he trained at 110% but the data showed otherwise. Maybe I just want it to be an objective reason rather than just "thanks for trying but no".
I would say that is pretty much a good guess…….they would have baseline measures for players and I think it’s likely he felt he did enough but the “computer said no”

Adams in, Fox sub. Sorry Braeden if this happens. But a question mark on the injury....
So glad I don't pick the teams.
Injury?

No way Cleary. He hasn't played a final yet, has he? Can't throw him into a GF without some exposure to finals football. His turn will come next year I think.

Campbell needs to start. He’s got the hot hand at the moment.
Need him for his tackling pressure.
Need him for his gut running.
Need him for his booming left foot.
Need him cos he doesn’t slip over.
Need him cos he’s fast.
How fast ? Fast enough to win premierships.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Grand Final 2024 - Sydney Swans / South Melbourne Bloods vs Brisbane Bears/ Fitzroy Lions - The Big Dance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back