Preview Grand Final 2024 - Sydney Swans / South Melbourne Bloods vs Brisbane Bears/ Fitzroy Lions - The Big Dance

Remove this Banner Ad

Devastating for Mills.

I know the prevailing sentiment is "right decision" but I would say that if we get done on Saturday, that's simply unknowable.

Is making a definitive call today better than carrying uncertainty through tomorrow? Sure, but there are more stories of champions carrying niggles and outright injuries into big games and getting it done than there are Sam Reid style disasters.

I don't blame them for making the decision they have, and I hope we win and it becomes a footnote, but if the reports of him getting through the fitness test are accurate then I'm going to second guess whether this was the right decision, or one made out of fear of not repeating a mistake fresh in the memory.
Couldn't agree more. I'll back their decision, rather than congratulate them for "learning a lesson"

He was nowhere to be seen last week against an average port

Lions will be red hot
Can see him being lethal with his speed and booming left foot when the ground opens up in the second half .. if fit!
I’m torn on what they’ll do just think they r gunna go adams for some reason either way gunna b a bloody good 22-23

My question is, who does Adams replace in the midfield?

With all of Heeney, Rowy, Chad and Parker in the team, his highest centre bounce attendance is 27% against Port.

He hasn't attended half of CBs in any game, and in the 4 games he's attended 40% or more, 1 of Heeney, Rowy or Chad have been missing in 3 of them (Parker missed the other). In those 4 games, he's had 11 clearances total.

So given his low likelihood of prime midfield minutes, and his low conversion of that into clearances, how does he fix our clearance issues and where do we play him the rest of the time?

This is not a slight on Adams, he is our next best inside mid, but unless one of Heeney, Rowy, Chad (used as the 3rd more dynamic mid) or to a lesser extent, Parker makes way, how does he have the impact people think he will have?

As sub maybe, if Campbell is still impacted by his groin issue.

Last edited:
I'm coming in late to the party as I've been involved in other threads during my limited free time. This has probably already been mentioned a few times in the previous 40 odd pages but I'm posting it anyway.
To all the 20 odd pretend doctors and physios who continued to tell us all ad nauseum that we had to drop JMac, I say to you "Hang your heads in shame"'
Thank God the match committee are far more intelligent than you lot.
Of course he looked rusty in the qualifying match. That was to be expected but had he not played that he would have not had enough match game time to ready himself for a grand final.
It was wonderful watching him running down his wing and delivering bullets to our forwards. Sure, he had limited game time last week but it was enough to have him primed for this week. Without JMac doing what he does on his wing and Errol being Errol on his, our chances of winning this GF would be so much less.
So, I'd suggest in future, save your medical opinions to those who know what they are talking about.

I'm coming in late to the party as I've been involved in other threads during my limited free time. This has probably already been mentioned a few times in the previous 40 odd pages but I'm posting it anyway.
To all the 20 odd pretend doctors and physios who continued to tell us all ad nauseum that we had to drop JMac, I say to you "Hang your heads in shame"'
Of course he looked rusty in the qualifying match. That was to be expected but had he not played that he would have not had enough match game time to ready himself for a grand final.
It was wonderful watching him running down his wing and delivering bullets to our forwards. Sure, he had limited game time last week but it was enough to have him primed for this week. Without JMac doing what he does on his wing and Errol being Errol on his, our chances of winning this GF would be so much less.
So, I'd suggest in future, save your medical opinions to those who know what they are talking about.
He didn't just look rusty, he didn't look to be moving like he usually does.

It's a risk that paid off and I'm glad it did. They don't always, but easy to gloat in hindsight.

Firstly I agreed with selecting Jmac and made the same point you are now. But you cannot be serious with the hang your heads in shame line, turn it up.

People didn't attack Jmac personally.

I'm wondering who the matchup for Fox is that would bring him into the starting side? Assuming it's:

McCartin - Daniher
Melican - Hipwood
Cunningham - Cameron
Blakey - Ah Chee
Rampe - Morris

Rayner seems like the potential match-up? Perhaps they may try to play Rampe on him when he's forward, and have Blakey shift to Morris.
I would start Fox in the 22 as I think he would be great match up for Rainer. Campbell can go back to being the Super sub.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He clearly wasn't 100% according to whatever they were assessing during his session. Because let's be real, if we was 100% he'd likely be picked over Fox. Goes to show no matter who it is they will always declare themselves 100% fit for a granny even if they know they are not.

Happy to go in without him, we've been better when he hasn't played. His time restarts next year. And wouldn't be a bad thing as a captain on the back of missing a GF win. Hunger will be there.
I'd suggest he keeps his distance from Mad Monday this year.

Devastating for Mills.

I know the prevailing sentiment is "right decision" but I would say that if we get done on Saturday, that's simply unknowable.

Is making a definitive call today better than carrying uncertainty through tomorrow? Sure, but there are more stories of champions carrying niggles and outright injuries into big games and getting it done than there are Sam Reid style disasters.

I don't blame them for making the decision they have, and I hope we win and it becomes a footnote, but if the reports of him getting through the fitness test are accurate then I'm going to second guess whether this was the right decision, or one made out of fear of not repeating a mistake fresh in the memory.
Robbo just actually spoke some sense. A fitness test isnt as long or as arduous as a full game. \he may have only lasted a quarter, that’s not a risk Horse should take. Remember Reid got through a fitness test. Phil Davis only just passed (if you could call it that) on the ground, all of 10 minutes of it) I think the right decision has been made, it’s unfortunate for Mills, but realistically, he’s been out for 2/3rds of the season, and then got injured again. It was never going to end well.

If only you knew how much I was hoping to read that Professor Pee!

I went outside to do some work calls and a baby plover was there , didn't realise. As the mother plover started to swoop and i ran inside like a baby, it occurred to me, we will win.

Seem to have been holding that one for a while……

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Grand Final 2024 - Sydney Swans / South Melbourne Bloods vs Brisbane Bears/ Fitzroy Lions - The Big Dance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back