Grant marks debut with ‘super’ start

Remove this Banner Ad

May 15, 2006
Werribee
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

AFTER a year spent watching the game from the sidelines, it was no wonder young Bulldog Jarrad Grant was nervous before Friday night's clash with Essendon.

The 19-year-old, who was selected by the Dogs with pick No.5 in the 2007 NAB AFL Draft, finally found his way into the senior side after 12 months wrecked by injuries.

The highly-touted goal-kicker admitted he was nervous before the match, but was quick to settle once the emotional start to the NAB Bushfire Appeal match subsided.

"I was eager to get back. It was my first game since May last year, and with the boys playing finals last year it made me hungrier to get my opportunity," he told westernbulldogs.com.au.

"Rocket spoke to me and assured me just to go out there and do what I could do.

"There wasn't any pressure on me tonight so I thought I would just go out there and give it my all and I was lucky enough to find a bit of it."

Grant kicked a supergoal in the first quarter after putting on a burst of speed to run down Bomber Courtenay Dempsey in the centre square.

While taking some impressive marks up forward throughout the match, he had a slight case of the kicking yips.

"I should have finished off a few more goals; I kicked four behinds," he said.

"I think I'll be out on the track practicing goal kicking this week.

"I'm working on defensive pressure. [Our coaches are] pretty big on the forwards defending if we turn the ball over.”

The former Dandenong Stingray was draped in ice after the game, but was happy he didn't have to pay attention to the area that ended his season last year.

"I'm pretty sore. I took a few big hits but I guess you get used to that," he said.

"The groin is feeling fine. It's not sore at all. No icing; it's injury free now.

"I've still got to put a few kilos on to deal with the bigger backs and I suppose that will come over time."

But Grant was simply happy to finally appear in Bulldogs colours but was disappointed his side lost by a solitary point.

"It was very good to be able to play in the game for the bushfire victims," he said.

"It was good to see a big crowd turn out tonight, which was a bit daunting for me, but it was really good to be involved.

"We spoke about it all before the game and we wanted to get the win, especially because Ryan Griffen's dad passed away during the week so there were a few things we were playing for tonight.”

This kid looks to be something special!
I was at the game Friday night and thought alot of this kid.
Seems to know how to play the game..
Really just good at everything... (Except goal kicking accuracy:p)
Glad he needs to improve on that, otherwise could of kicked 10.

Well done doggies. Great pick up:):thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back