Griff back to the dogs?

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't want Griffen or Ward for that matter anywhere near this group of players.
Maybe Griffen can return one day,and I'm sure he probably will. Can't see any need to let Ward return ever. He only played a few games when he was a kid.
60 actually. More than ... umm ... Jong has.

Good thread. It reminds me to get a life not to go near BF in the bye week.

If Griffen was actually AFL standard I would consider. Heck, if he was 2016 standard (low in comparison to his previous years) I'd consider.

His H&A season is over this year due to ankle injuries, he has a degenerative back issue and has hit the cliff. Removing emotion from the decisions, he is an older player who is well past his best who is no longer as emotionally invested in the game as he was during his prime.

In terms of quality, cost, injury and draft picks required - no.
I have a little sympathy for his situation and how he handled it (he's no Rhodes scholar) but in pure footballing terms it's a dud deal for us.

No from the point that I dont think he would compliment out list, or offer benefit.

Ward on the other hand, but he's entrenched there and I frankly cant see him coming back to Victoria during the rest of his playing career at this point. Most likely will stay GWS until he hangs up the boots.

60 actually. More than ... umm ... Jong has.

Good thread. It reminds me to get a life not to go near BF in the bye week.
60 games as a kid with potential who nicked off ar the first smell of a bit of coin?
And I'm Totally unsure what Jongs got to do with it,or the relevance of bringing up the little champ who turned away offers of more money to actually stay with the club.

Look,good on Ward to get offered some money but he'll never mean anything at all to the club. He'd be so insignificant I'd highly doubt he will even want to return for any reason once he's retired. He's a GWS dude and that's about it.
Griffen will at least retire a Bulldog who left in bad taste,he's a tainted bulldog but still a bulldog. Wards absolutely nothing,a nobody to us,he's the GWS captain for goddess sake.

I doubt we would ever be welcomed by to the club and he will never want to come back to the club.

We was a contracted Captain and he chose to bail on the club in need. Will not be back. What for anyway, no successful reunions etc.

We were always going to win in that deal. Best thing that ever happened to the club and I said it at the time.

We needed the shake up!

Ow! My brain!

I'm looking forward to seeing Griffen explaining what happened on Open Mike. Or any tell-all style show!

It is not Griffen style to do such thing. I can see him once retired not hearing from him again.

I'm biased because I loved him as a player and person. He loved the club and always re-signed with minimal fuss and was our best performer in every finals we played in whilst he was at the club.

We may never know what happened to get him to the point of leaving the Dogs for the Giants, but I am sure others had major contribution towards his departure whether or not that warranted him leaving we may never know.

His current performances along with injuries most likely don't warrant a game at the Dogs right now but I would love to see him back one day walking through the club as an ex-player because he went okay for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

60 games as a kid with potential who nicked off ar the first smell of a bit of coin?
And I'm Totally unsure what Jongs got to do with it,or the relevance of bringing up the little champ who turned away offers of more money to actually stay with the club.

Look,good on Ward to get offered some money but he'll never mean anything at all to the club. He'd be so insignificant I'd highly doubt he will even want to return for any reason once he's retired. He's a GWS dude and that's about it.
Griffen will at least retire a Bulldog who left in bad taste,he's a tainted bulldog but still a bulldog. Wards absolutely nothing,a nobody to us,he's the GWS captain for goddess sake.
We congratulated Jong for a significant career milestone on reaching 50 recently. I know his circumstances are a bit different but my point is that 60 is not "only ... a few games". I was going to use Bont as an example at first but he's now up around 80 games. Even he had played not many more than 60 games when he won our B&F.

Ward??

I thought the Dogs refused to offer Ward an extra $50k or something like that even when he was offered much more at GWS otherwise he would have stayed.

Would rather a thread about how to get Ward back.
I think that story might have been a bit of spin doctoring as GWS were offering close to double what the Dogs could pay so I really question the whole $50k and he would have stayed story. Sounds more like an manager trying to justify what could be viewed as a cash grab by his client.

With Griffs career looking over id love to have him back at the Kennel. Gave it his all week in week out. I understand a few of you might still be angry at what happened but you can blame Macca for making him feel unwanted and forcing him to be captain when he didn't want to be. Was my child hood hero growing up so i will always have respect for him.
He can come back after he retires but not until, I for one would miss booing him every time we play them!
The highlight was his first game back at Etihad where the booing was as loud as I can remember when he had a shot for goal and missed.

I think that story might have been a bit of spin doctoring as GWS were offering close to double what the Dogs could pay so I really question the whole $50k and he would have stayed story. Sounds more like an manager trying to justify what could be viewed as a cash grab by his client.

Actually the story is that Ward hadn't signed because we offered him 50k less than he was asking. He then got the mega offer from GWS and never looked back. If we had just given him what he was asking rather than trying to haggle him over 50k he'd have been signed before GWS pounced.

I don't know if it's true but it's completely plausible.

Give it a spell. Are you saying you wouldn't have done the same?

I assume you have the same lack of respect for Tom Boyd?
I did say good luck to him and in answer to your question yes I would do the same,but I would also know where I stood with the club I left at a young age.

I just think he means nothing to our club and will never mean anything. He's a GWS player who will forge a career there and if he makes a name for himself it will be as a GWS player.
Ward will not be welcomed back in retirement and he will not want to come back because he is a nobody at our club,a nothing.
I think our clubs moved well passed caring about nobodies like Callum Ward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Griff back to the dogs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back