Certified Legendary Thread Hamish Mclachlan and wikipedia - a must read for every footy fan - now going nuts on the interwebz

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: hamish mclachlan and wikipedia - a must read for every footy fan

Who on here is The-Pope who told him off?

April 2012

Please do not write an article about yourself, as you apparently did at Hamish McLachlan. Creating an autobiography is strongly discouraged – see our guideline on writing autobiographies. If you create such an article, it may be deleted. If what you have done in life is genuinely notable and can be verified according to our policy for articles about living people, someone else will probably create an article about you sooner or later (see Wikipedians with articles). Thank you. The-Pope (talk) 03:55, 17 April 2012 (UTC)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Rompingwins

Who on here is The-Pope who told him off?

The-Pope is a regular contributor to AFL material on Wiki... not sure if he's on here, though.

Hahaha that's hilarous. The info here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:The-Pope should narrow it down if no-one's willing to claim it!

Edit: I've got nothing against Hamish, I don't mind him on GameDay, his commentary isn't the greatest but you still got to admit that this is funny stuff

If they want to come forward and take credit sure, however I don't thnk we should try and out them ourselves.

Agree with your edit, nothing against him as well, but seems he is a tad shameless with his self promotion. :D

gees, what have you lot got against Hamish ? he's a great person. Tall poppy syndrome I reckon :thumbsdown:

Nelson Mandela is a great person. Hamish, on the other hand, might be a great bloke. Important distinction.

Tall Poppy?

The man is in the public eye; he even provides articles on wikipedia detailing every second of his existence. But what's funny, is that many see his rise to the top of the broadcasting pile has nothing to do with talent or being a great bloke, but for other reasons.

So reading every excruciating detail of how great he is - when it looks like he's written it - is kind of funny. But you're right, the victors write the immediate history - and what a magnificent opus it is. I'd argue, it's the responsibility of others to challenge the orthodoxy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who cares?
Anyone with a public persona deserves to be able to modify what is being written about them on 'their' wiki page.

I'm more concerned about the creepy work of the OP in tracking crap down.
Unfortunately it's a stipulation that you can't. Gee imagine the POV pushing and propaganda ect if they could! Roland Perry had a crack at his own bio once too...

I subscribe, will cut and paste and article if allowed.

A full C&P is not allowed. You can quote a paragraph and comment on it though.

www.crikey.com.au

Users of popular football forum Big Footy uncovered what they considered to be an hilarious example of a celebrity micro-managing their wiki profile, suggesting that Channel Seven personality and host of AFL show Game Day Hamish McLachlan appeared to be the creator and editor of his own Wikipedia entry. But in an email to Crikey, McLachlan has denied these allegations, saying that it was a friend -- not him --who made the changes.

This is how the wiki storm has played out since yesterday. Bigfooty user "questionable" noticed that McLachlan's Wikipedia page had been created and solely edited by a Wikipedia user named "Rompingwins"....

www.crikey.com.au

www.crikey.com.au said:
But in an email to Crikey, McLachlan has denied these allegations, saying that it was a friend -- not him --who made the changes.

Lulz.

Sounds like those old letters to Playboy ... 'this didn't happen to me, it happened to a friend of mine'.

Yeah right Hamo. :eek:

Lol his mate, I wonder when the twitter @rompingwins troll account will appear with the bio

"Best mate of @hame_aflgameday, makes sure the great mans wiki and youtube is kept up to date".

Would need a avatar of Hamish's face Photoshoped onto the iraqi miss information ministers body. :D

“They manage my YouTube uploads too, as I can’t do them and I need to for work."

yer, ok ham.
Nodding.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Hamish Mclachlan and wikipedia - a must read for every footy fan - now going nuts on the interwebz

Remove this Banner Ad

Back