Hardwick - How long until he's replaced as Richmond's coach

Who is coach of the year so far in 2017?

• Don Pyke

Votes: 60 19.5%
  • Brendon Bolton

Votes: 58 18.8%
  • John Worsfold

Votes: 35 11.4%
  • Ross Lyon

Votes: 9 2.9%
  • Leon Cameron

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • Simon Goodwin

Votes: 16 5.2%
  • Other (name in comments)

Votes: 20 6.5%
  • Damien Hardwick

Votes: 104 33.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

All on the players imo.

The way we set up defensively and our game plan today was good enough to win this game.
Our players missed easy set shots and didnt go hard enough when the chips were on the table, onfield leadership was poor again.
Maybe it's down to our very young and inexperienced side, but nevertheless, to lose 3 games by less than a kick in 3 weeks, something is wrong.

rance, jack, martin, cotchin have been playing pretty well albert
You do know there is more to being a leader than playing well?
Which of these players you named was directing traffic in the final minutes of the last two weeks?
Surely one of them has to demand his players get into the right spots and ensure they don't give up this easy goals late.

I feel for dimmer tonight

the tiger's confidence, the tiger's season and dimmer's career may have copped a stake through the heart today
Why? He has had every opportunity. More than most.

Career Coaching Record

Games Coached Wins Losses Draws Win %
166 79 85 2 47.6%

Regular Season Coaching Record

163 79 82 2 48.5%

Finals Coaching Record

Finals Coached Wins Losses Draws Win %
3 0 3 0 0.0%

I feel for dimmer tonight

the tiger's confidence, the tiger's season and dimmer's career may have copped a stake through the heart today
Gotta feel like there'll be off-field dramas if they keep losing, there was an attempt at a board spill last year and Gale and the current board invested their political capital in Hardwick. They will be facing the squad at dawn if finals are missed or eliminated first up.

For mine Hardwick is the poor man’s Brad Scott (who has significant flaws as it is).

Both started in 2010 after highly disappointing 2009 seasons with coaches leaving halfway through the year. Both generally got positive notices in the first couple of years despite not making finals because they were seen as good developers of lists that were considered highly flawed when they arrived.

But despite lengthy stints in the role, both have only managed to take their respective teams so far; neither have managed to get their teams to finish in the Top 4 after the H&A season in 7 completed seasons and both sides have often been flaky and shown a propensity to lose close matches they should’ve won.

But at least Scott has managed to have notable success in finals; his 4 finals wins is as many Richmond have managed in the past 35 years! The less said about Richmond under Hardwick in finals the better.

Richmond could still potentially scrape into finals but that might be a curse in the long run because I can’t see the side ever being a top club under Hardwick.

Finals Wins
Brad Scott 4
Hardwick 0

You do know there is more to being a leader than playing well?
Which of these players you named was directing traffic in the final minutes of the last two weeks?
Surely one of them has to demand his players get into the right spots and ensure they don't give up this easy goals late.

how would you have liked them to talk to their team mates to stop the final goal today?

Why? He has had every opportunity. More than most.

Career Coaching Record

166 79 85 2 47.6%

Regular Season Coaching Record

163 79 82 2 48.5%

Finals Coaching Record

Finals Coached Wins Losses Draws Win %
3 0 3 0 0.0%

I loved dimmer as a player at the dons and couldn't believe it when we picked up his hard nut services at Port
We maintained his services as an assistant and was confident he would make a great coach

I just scratch my head, as my views haven't changed on his ability

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can even use The Simpsons to represent the issue at Richmond.

This is Hardwick for the last 5 years:

90c5e591b769aea2d53ddf0fdb3a76a0.png

and then this is what that list needed kicked up their ass 2 years ago:

6ad56185cd9ab85805e9224ea3399d75.png

Hardwick owns the all-time AFL record for most number of games coached without a finals win. 166*

In fact he is miles in front!
http://afltables.com/afl/stats/coaches/coaches_idx.html

His next closest rival was Bob McCaskill who coached at North and Hawthorn for 137 games back in 1941-51.

In the modern era Ken Judge managed 132 games without a finals win at Hawthorn and West Coast.

Last edited:
how would you have liked them to talk to their team mates to stop the final goal today?
Who the hell was directing the players for that kick out?
They had time during the review to set up correctly and not allow a soft goal over the back.
Don't forget two of the onfield leaders also missed relatively easy shots for goal in the final quarter and Cotchin was nowhere to be seen when the heat was on.

Hardwick owns the all-time AFL record for most number of games coached without a finals win. 166*

His next closest rival was Bob McCaskill who coached at North and Hawthorn for 137 games back in 1941-51.

In the modern era Ken Judge managed 132 games without a finals win at Hawthorn and West Coast.

If you judge it this way you are just as effective as David King.

The last three weeks are a better way to look at it. Place blame on the leadership team on the field or in the coaches box. Be ruthless and spark the fire. Hide it and talk to playing well for three quarters keeps 30 years of ineptness going.

Face responsibility or forever be consigned to mediocrity.

Blame the players or the coaching staff.
Acknowledging the better team distracts from the core issue.

If you judge it this way you are just as effective as David King.

The last three weeks are a better way to look at it. Place blame on the leadership team on the field or in the coaches box. Be ruthless and spark the fire. Hide it and talk to playing well for three quarters keeps 30 years of ineptness going.

Face responsibility or forever be consigned to mediocrity.

Blame the players or the coaching staff.
Acknowledging the better team distracts from the core issue.
I heard a guy pushing a shopping trolley outside the Melbourne Town Hall mutter the exact same speech.

If they fall below 50/50 this year he's gone.

Heck, Camporeale managed to win a final in a 11 game stint.

it has been too long already... but he needs to sack a player as well as himself. geez haven't we already heard that it is all
about the players who get let off. NO maybe just to give a final salute.. to chuck the three best players if he is given the sack..

hehe then he will be standing heavy and get his own back for the players who don't do the darnedest thing to win at all cost.. see
how that will play out.. his contract... I go, then three or four of our top players get the chop.. try it and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back