Has the game passed Nick Reiwoldt ?

Remove this Banner Ad

No other target making it really hard for him.

Unfortunately he is having to sacrifice his game by pushing up to the wing and further in order to make a contest because we cannot get the ball through a press without him as a get out kick. He can't play FF cos it will never get to him.

Having said that he is effective around the ground and tries his absolute guts out. He, along with others, have set amazing standards in the past and can't live up to them at the moment.

He's clearly still a great footballer, just makes it hard given St Kilda have no other medium/tall forwards. It always ends up being 1 on 3 any time it's in the forward 50 hence he goes up on a wing to find a kick.

I know Ben Reid is really awesome and sometimes appears to duplicate himself, but he is only one man, I assure you. And that one man well and truly pantsed Riewoldt tonight.

Like I said though, no shame in being bested by the AA CHB, it has already happened to 10 other blokes this year and I daresay it's going to happen to a fair few more as the season progresses.

Just making yourself look silly, not your club's players look good.

I think if I were a Saints supporter I'd be begging for Lyon to play him closer to goals and kick a few more goals. It would also prolong his football career IMHO.

He doesn't have to play from the goalsquare, just work inside the 50 metre arch more. You simply cannot expect a key forward to do all that running and then end up with 5-6 goals. Can't happen.

He needs to go back to running players off their feet. It doesn't look like he can take a contested mark to save his life and can't even dominate an average defender anymore. Needs to get his mojo back.

Saints also need more forward targets. Kosi is no good so have they got anyone else?

St Kilda need another forward target, now I'm nit gonna comment as if I know a solution but just interested to hear from saint supporters should you still persist with Kosi beyond this year hasn't been great for a while now , is it time to move him on and give younger guys ago? .. Who on your list would be ready to come in and be that second tall that will help Riewoldt ? ...Or will you have to recruit a new KPF ?

I think he's too one-dimensional. He either takes a big pack mark, or does nothing. He needs to find other ways to get involved in the game.

..the game hasn't passed him by, but his current role in the current team isn't working as well for him, and the team.. .... ..and lately suffers from both the pressure and his own work rate when it comes to his finishing up fwd.. ..would consider altering/switching his role.. ..swing him back as CHB.. ..runs all day, will mark or at the very least spoil a lot of contests, and will lift some of the weight off his shoulders and he can run off his opponent to provide a target through the middle/wing to help linkup play off the hbf..

There is no concept of form on BigFooty. Instead you are either overrated, underrated or in this case, the game has passed you by.

Riewoldt has been immense for a long time and now for maybe 8 matches he is having a down period. Not surprisingly as a key forward it coincides with St Kilda's first really lean patch in many years. People on this forum
have very short memories.

the best thing st kilda could do at the end of the year is trade riewoldt home to the gold coast. they would get either 2 very high draft picks, or a pick and a quality young player. it would be win-win. the chnace at a flag has passed him by at the saints but the way the gold coast are looking it is not silly to suggest they could have a crack when riewoldt is 31-32 and still able to contribute. he would also be massive drawcard up north. and the saints could accelerate the regeneration of their list

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maxy Hudgton (sp) showed the blueprint to render him useless in the 2 Grand Finals. Others have taken note this year.

Riewoldt is a champion.

The bloke is dealing with issues further beyond anything than people realise. As an opposition fan, I hope the bloke tears it up the rest of the year and beyond.

I agree that he's been a shadow of his former self this year and there are a heap of likely reasons for it, including those mentioned earlier in this thread (which has been a lot more thoughtful and intelligent than I was expecting- very little trash talk- bravo). Another of the major issues is that his ability to mark overhead has deserted him.
From the very start of his career he had probably the stickiest fingers I'd ever seen with overhead marking and he would just basically mark every ball that he got both hands to, but that has not really been the case in recent times, especially since he tore his hammy last year.
He started last season in pretty much career best form, but hasn't reached those heights since he returned from the injury, except in the finals last year (excluding the Grannies).
Then this year he started the year horribly, dropping more marks in single games than he used to in half a season.
He just looks "defeated" to me, for maybe various reasons (poor GF's, the nude photo's thing, his friend Ricky Nixon betraying him with Kim Duthie and also allegedly owing him big money, his goalkicking "yips", etc) and having little help up forward and having terrible delivery to him are possibly just the last straws. Who wouldn't be down with all that shit going on?
He's getting regularly double and triple teamed up forward, which never used to matter, as he would regularly outmark them anyway, but that isn't happening now (that he's lost his marking confidence), so I'd put him on the wing till he gets his confidence and form back. On the wing he'd likely be playing on someone much smaller and would be able to mark a lot more balls. Once he got his confidence back as a result of that, I'd put him forward again.
Who would play forward in the meantime is the big question, though.:confused:
As for the end of the year, I would seriously be open to a trade, as I doubt we'll be in premiership contention again while he's playing footy, whereas the Gold Coast, for example, might be. As someone said earlier, it could be a win-win, as it was when Lockett left.
If he stayed, I would almost certainly take the captaincy off his shoulders, as I don't think it's doing him any favours anymore.

the best thing st kilda could do at the end of the year is trade riewoldt home to the gold coast. they would get either 2 very high draft picks, or a pick and a quality young player. it would be win-win. the chnace at a flag has passed him by at the saints but the way the gold coast are looking it is not silly to suggest they could have a crack when riewoldt is 31-32 and still able to contribute. he would also be massive drawcard up north. and the saints could accelerate the regeneration of their list

Just lol this whole topic is ridiculous you never trade your best player you trade others and build around a Reiwoldt, Trading Reiwoldt would just kill the moral of the entire club especially from a player that gives his all every week.

I agree with the others that his marking hasn't been the best this year...

That being said, the disposal into the 50 hasn't been the best this year, and the lack of another key forward has really left him exposed.

St Kilda urgently need anther key position forward playing..I think he was the only key forward who lined up who was above 190+ cm???

Would love a fit and firing Kosi there, but he isn't the player he used to be...he doesn't deserve a spot in the senior side.I would love to see Will Johnson back up forward...he's big enough (around 193cm) and has a long, powerful kick on him...leaving Sippos as the third tall..

Just struggling for form. Normal for KPF's.

When guys as good as Carey finish their careers nobody remembers the times they were off their game. Huge fan of Riewoldt's game...slightly different dimension to other classical CHF's i've seen and has his own unique style thats arguably more effective as a marking target. Arnt that many classical marking target CHF's around these days..toughest slot and the way he plays it demands form. If he was a stay home FF it'd be totally different thing.

You can see he's way off in his timing for grabs...if you;re a rover you can always just go harder at the ball or contribute by taking out the other mobs best guy. When you're that good as a champion KPF for so long you cant just have another job coz there isnt another job.

Has been to #1 in the comp, he has maintained at least good to v good form for a long time as far as KPF's go. Its ok to see the good ones being mortal.

Class is permanent...always hard to watch the good ones struggle thru form drops.

Watch J Brown last night. Couldnt take a mark or even get a kick in the first half then got it reasonably right in the second half. Tough job.

The thing that blows me away about any great CHF producing is this era of footy..is the professionalism of coaching, the resources to work out a single guys game...and the gang defences.

No real point comparing era's coz you'll go mad..but i can only imagine the devastation this bloke would have caused even just 15-20 yrs ago. No defender or utility would even have half the fitness nor pace, no ability to rotate off the bench to cover the guy's workload.

Evolution of the game. Guys like this evolve with a game to beat defences by stretching all aspects of it...then coaches and players evolve to shut it down. Its a different era without the luxury of one on one defences, plus gang defences and zones that are so disciplined and drilled to impair their run at the ball.

Its so different you had Carey HOPING it'd just get bombed in to a one on one...but no team can do that these days and not even Carey couldnt even cope with his sensational bodywork..too easy to cover. So he'd need to adapt too.

Still the best slot to watch, the best players on the paddock and the area of the game that changes yr by yr. You can belt a gamepolan into a rovers head , even by habit..but KPF's need a brain even moreso these days and ability to adapt.

Been a lousy year for the KPF watchers. Cpl of seasons ago you'd find yourself glancing back constantly to watch a JBrown or NRiewodlt work over a flooding tidal wave type defence. What hasnt been mentioned much yet is the reversal of the tide using the so calle "press" that every club is now employing, might actually be taking away much of the effectiveness of a true CHF as an accidental byproduct.

St Kilda need to trade Riewoldt

Is it time to part company?

Should the Saints cash in while he still has some currency?

He'll be 29 next year and doesn't seem the same player after the hammy problems.

Essendon had a similar situation with Lloyd and kept him around but he was not the same player and the side suffered for years. Sheeds has said he would have tried to trade Lloyd for Judd.

It would have broken a lot of supporters hearts and who knows what it would have done to the playing group and culture.

The general opinion is the Saints are about to rebuild and won't be up there for another 3+ years. Reiwoldt won't be around for the next flag.

It's a tough hard cold business and I think the Saints need to trade him on.

Hawthorn did it to Hay and Thompson and got a flag a few years later. Colingwood did it with Tarrant and got a flag a few years later.

Remove this Banner Ad

Has the game passed Nick Reiwoldt ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back