Hawks and Tassie

Remove this Banner Ad

No - I do not like us playing games there.
I work weekends and it really limits the amount of times I can use my reserve seats.
But I do understand the advantages, and are glad we are no longer 'in the gun' as we were mid - 90s after some very bad management.
I would prefer two games there V Port/Freo/GC/WS, etc, not Vic sides.

No other club would get the same support there unless one of Richmond, Carlton, Essendon, Saints, Pies put in the same amount of work we have.

If North or Dogs played 4 games there and so did we, we would always have twice as many Tassie members. Just like in Melbourne.

Keep dreaming sunshine ...expect to play more Victorian clubs here ..not less...and other Vic teams would get as much if not more support than the hawks ..depending on the team.

The Hawthorn / Tassie relationship is beneficial to Tasmania at the moment, but counterproductive in the long term. With Hawthorn benefitting from the deal financially it eases the pressure of Demetriou to accomodate another poor performing Melbourne based club and thus restricts him from approving a real Tasmanian team.

I think it is ironic that more teams are lining up to take advantage of conditions there - thus given Tasmania a possible 8-10 matches a year - which would be exactly the number played by a ****ing HOME TEAM! How GWS and GC17 even got a look in before a Tasmanian team - which is clearly prooving its economic viability by accomodating struggling melbourne based clubs - is beyond belief. Demetriou need to realise that he is a custodian of a 150 year old game - not an enteprise run for maximium profit. AFL is a sport, it is a tradition - it is not a for profit organisation, it does not have shareholders, it does not have to continually expand to survive, it does not have to entertain the highest bidder in TV wars to maximise profits, and it does not have to pay a CEO a ridiculous salary.

The AFL at the moment is being run in the fashion of a capitalist enterprise akin to Goldman Sachs - they keep packaging up bullshite and selling it to the public as 'necessary for economic survival' and yet the ones who stand to benefit the most from the expansion of the league are the ones who broker the deals with new TV rights deals, new Advertising and new Sponsors, whilst traditional clubs and football states will struggle to cut the mustard as prices for running clubs continually get pushed up and sold to the highest bidders.

Sorry for the rant, I honestly don't mind Hawthorns association with Tasmania, but I think if it continues much longer then it gets harder for Tasmania to launch a team in its own right.

The Hawthorn / Tassie relationship is beneficial to Tasmania at the moment, but counterproductive in the long term. With Hawthorn benefitting from the deal financially it eases the pressure of Demetriou to accomodate another poor performing Melbourne based club and thus restricts him from approving a real Tasmanian team.
I think it is ironic that more teams are lining up to take advantage of conditions there - thus given Tasmania a possible 8-10 matches a year - which would be exactly the number played by a ****ing HOME TEAM! How GWS and GC17 even got a look in before a Tasmanian team - which is clearly prooving its economic viability by accomodating struggling melbourne based clubs - is beyond belief. Demetriou need to realise that he is a custodian of a 150 year old game - not an enteprise run for maximium profit. AFL is a sport, it is a tradition - it is not a for profit organisation, it does not have shareholders, it does not have to continually expand to survive, it does not have to entertain the highest bidder in TV wars to maximise profits, and it does not have to pay a CEO a ridiculous salary.

The AFL at the moment is being run in the fashion of a capitalist enterprise akin to Goldman Sachs - they keep packaging up bullshite and selling it to the public as 'necessary for economic survival' and yet the ones who stand to benefit the most from the expansion of the league are the ones who broker the deals with new TV rights deals, new Advertising and new Sponsors, whilst traditional clubs and football states will struggle to cut the mustard as prices for running clubs continually get pushed up and sold to the highest bidders.

Sorry for the rant, I honestly don't mind Hawthorns association with Tasmania, but I think if it continues much longer then it gets harder for Tasmania to launch a team in its own right.

Why do Geelong play 4 of their home games in Melbourne?

Keep dreaming sunshine ...expect to play more Victorian clubs here ..not less...and other Vic teams would get as much if not more support than the hawks ..depending on the team.
As it should be.

Tassie is an Australian Football state with much of its population having followed the VFL/AFL for a long time.

Consequently there are many supporters of Victorian clubs down there - Carlton, Richmond, St Kilda, Collingwood, Essendon, etc

Those people have every right to expect the Tassie government to take their interests into account. Pumping millions of dollars into Hawthorn only to see them host non-Victorian AFL sides isn't doing that.

The deal is money for jam for the Hawks and a good deal economically for the government and state. In a general sense it is good for the whole football-loving population because it gives them games to watch.

But a better arrangement has to be arrived in the short term to cater to all those who actually want to see their own club play down there.

And the only answer in an ongoing sense is for the state to have its own club, despite the logistical difficulties involved.

Fitzroy didnt really hit it off in Hobart. Some teams like Hawthorn and Richmond have had numerous Tasmanians (and of exceptional quality) play for them which has helped them re support.

... which is probably why the Hawks don't play in Hobart. Plus Fitzroy didn't exactly give it much of a chance, and I don't think they were actively looking too much past the immediate $$$ from the game, whereas North were looking to establish themselves in a new market.

This deflection attempt is poorly thought out.

Geelong normally request more games to be played at Kardinia Park than are granted, the most the AFL have given us recently has been eight. Even though we would like more games to be played at our true home, hosting other sides in Melbourne benefits the Melbourne fans of which we, obviously, have a shitload of and allows more fans to watch us play live. This year we have been granted a rare home game against Collingwood so it's only natural that the AFL want it to be played at the 'G. I think the club's hieararchy are content with an 8-3 split of home games at the moment (especially considering that the AFL has stated that they will not give us more then eight at Skilled):

"The negative in the fixture for us is we asked for more than seven games at Skilled Stadium and we got seven. That's a reflection of a lot of things … [but] overall it's OK. Our highest priority was to get eight games at Skilled but having said that we got everything else we asked for, so we've got to be mildly pleased I suppose." Brian Cook on Geelong's 2010 fixture.

When it takes less time to travel to the Docklands or 'G from the Corio area than from Waverly it hardly stops supporters from seeing the Cats play. If a club is going to have a second "home" then one an hour's train or drive away from where the club is based is hardly a bone of contention.

Your missing the point. The Hawthorn / Tasmania relationship is good for both parties at the moment - there can be no argument about that. However, long term it is detrimental to the real goal, which is Tasmania focussing on its own AFL team. I don't understand why the AFL is considering playing more games - bringing the tally to something like 8 - in Tasmania and still not introducing a team there? The logic suggests that if so many teams are benefitting down there then it must be economically sound! Letting other teams benefit from this relationship provides no incentive for Demetriou to introduce a side there as it will mean that the Melbourne based clubs Hawthorn and alike would then be out of pocket - implying they may need assistance from the AFL again!!

... which is probably why the Hawks don't play in Hobart. Plus Fitzroy didn't exactly give it much of a chance, and I don't think they were actively looking too much past the immediate $$$ from the game, whereas North were looking to establish themselves in a new market.

Fitzroy missed a golden chance in the early 90's. At that stage the TFL was very strong and would draw a decent crowd, with AFL only just being regularly televised... Tasmania could have merged at that point and the local interest would have kicked off and pushed a reliable team into the competition supported both financially and in people numbers.

My fear is that with other teams benefitting so much from state based sponsorship and low stadium costs (+ additional financial members) that Tasmania is weakening its positioning for introduction - which should be the priority of both the State and The AFL. There is no other state or place in Australia that a Victorian based club can benefit to the extent that they do by playing home games in Tasmania - this is proven by failed attempts in Canberra, Gold Coast and Darwin. The longer it is left, the weaker Tasmania's position.

We went to tassie because we didnt want to be playing games at the docklands.

Im happy with the arrangement, i still get the minimum 11 games on the membership, and the club continues to exapand its supporter and membership base, which is needed for the survival long-term.

If we werent there, I wouldnt care if another team was, but North wont do it, it will fail for them because they dont want to put the time and effort into a 2nd market.

Tassie fans showed, they will give back to a club who gives to them, the same as Stkilda Playing down there failed because the Saints wouldnt give back

I reckon the Hawks have more supporters up North than down in Hobart but that's just my take on it.
In regard to the Fitzroy games down here in 1991/92, I went to all of those games. It was a much different era to now.
People used to actually support the local footy back then and not always flock to the big AFL matches like they do now.
Fitzroy were not performing very well on the field, they were seen as an unfashionable sort of club, had a small following and hadn't won a premiership in almost fifty years at the time. They were also in deep financial do-do's.
The games, whilst publicised strongly, weren't as pumped up as they are now and Tasmania's footy fans' habits have changed a lot since those days (AFL or stay at home).
From memory the biggest crowd Fitzroy pulled was the Hawthorn game, when they got pumped by 157-points, then the St Kilda one, many went just to watch Plugger Lockett.
The Roys also played a number of Pre-Season Cup games at North Hobart as well back then.
It was a calculated move by Fitzroy, it didn't work out as they would've hoped (and they really needed it to work), so they can't be blamed for pulling the pin - it was desperation stakes for them at the time.
Also, the venue itself, North Hobart Oval, was pretty much on the decline as a popular footballing venue by that stage and its capacity was gradually getting smaller.

As it should be.

Tassie is an Australian Football state with much of its population having followed the VFL/AFL for a long time.

Consequently there are many supporters of Victorian clubs down there - Carlton, Richmond, St Kilda, Collingwood, Essendon, etc

Those people have every right to expect the Tassie government to take their interests into account. Pumping millions of dollars into Hawthorn only to see them host non-Victorian AFL sides isn't doing that.

The deal is money for jam for the Hawks and a good deal economically for the government and state. In a general sense it is good for the whole football-loving population because it gives them games to watch.

But a better arrangement has to be arrived in the short term to cater to all those who actually want to see their own club play down there.

And the only answer in an ongoing sense is for the state to have its own club, despite the logistical difficulties involved.
You have a fair point here but this is a negotiated deal between Hawthorn and the Tasmanian Government. And whilst the two parties continue to 'play ball' Hawthorn will never agree to play games against good drawing sides at York Park. It makes no financial sense to play any of those games there and play smaller drawing games at the 'G'. Tasmania need Hawthorn ATM. There are 8k members who demand the club play some games here and thus Government have their hands tied at the deal table. Expect the next deal to be something like 1 vic club(North, Saints, Sydney*, Brisbane*) and three interstate clubs (inc GWS and GC) each year.

*considered to be traditional Vic clubs in the current agreement.

I reckon the Hawks have more supporters up North than down in Hobart but that's just my take on it.
In regard to the Fitzroy games down here in 1991/92, I went to all of those games. It was a much different era to now.
People used to actually support the local footy back then and not always flock to the big AFL matches like they do now.
Fitzroy were not performing very well on the field, they were seen as an unfashionable sort of club, had a small following and hadn't won a premiership in almost fifty years at the time. They were also in deep financial do-do's.
The games, whilst publicised strongly, weren't as pumped up as they are now and Tasmania's footy fans' habits have changed a lot since those days (AFL or stay at home).
From memory the biggest crowd Fitzroy pulled was the Hawthorn game, when they got pumped by 157-points, then the St Kilda one, many went just to watch Plugger Lockett.
The Roys also played a number of Pre-Season Cup games at North Hobart as well back then.
It was a calculated move by Fitzroy, it didn't work out as they would've hoped (and they really needed it to work), so they can't be blamed for pulling the pin - it was desperation stakes for them at the time.
Also, the venue itself, North Hobart Oval, was pretty much on the decline as a popular footballing venue by that stage and its capacity was gradually getting smaller.

Still, the Hawks went into Launceston only a year or two after the Roos went to Sydney, so I reckon North missed a chance there. They weren't in the trouble that Fitzroy, and the had The Duck. They could have made it work. I think the poor old Lions were a dead club walking anyway by the time they made their half-hearted push into the wrong end of the state. I guess their timing was about ten years out.

i would prefer not to play there at all to be honest but it allows us to compete financially with the best of them and ironically it wil secure our long term future as a melbourne club.

It's attitudes like yours that will mean that Hawthorn wont get the sponsorship renewed. There is hardly a bigger insult to give a Hawthorn supporter than to call them 'Tassie'. It seems you guys take the money, but smile through clenched teeth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I might be a dissenting voice here but I think that this arrangement has served its purpose and run it course.

Here is my issue with it.

I'm a gold seating member and between round 2 (Geelong) and round 10 (Sydney) we didn't play a home game at the G.

In that time we won a total 2 games and is more than a coincidence IMO.

The premium we pay for our seats (which granted is much less than other clubs) only seems worth it to secure a grand final ticket.

The other "premium" bonuses like access to a members only bar and reserved seat seem irrelevant when you can only access them sporadically.

The past few weeks have been great with 4 home games in 5 weeks but the next time I get to sit in my seat is in round 20!

Hawthorn are well placed to lure big sponsors when the next lot of sponsorships are being looked at. I would love it if we could return some value to Melbourne based members in the process.

Hawthorn have done very well from Tassie and likewise Tassie from Hawthorn.
The fact that we have 10k or so Tassie based members says wonders for this.

Hawthorn have shown that they are there as part of a relationship, not a pirate ship plunder and loot mission a few games a year. I look forward to seeing this successful relationship continue to grow.

Hawthorn have done very well from Tassie and likewise Tassie from Hawthorn.
The fact that we have 10k or so Tassie based members says wonders for this.

Hawthorn have shown that they are there as part of a relationship, not a pirate ship plunder and loot mission a few games a year. I look forward to seeing this successful relationship continue to grow.

You do realise that once you leave Tasmania that number will plummet. A lot of people only signed up because they wanted to be guaranteed seats at AFL games in Tasmania for them and their family.

You do realise that once you leave Tasmania that number will plummet. A lot of people only signed up because they wanted to be guaranteed seats at AFL games in Tasmania for them and their family.

it might go down, but who is to say that tassie members wont transfer that to a General Admin Membership? about the same cost, and if they travell up to the mainland a few times a year they may want to.

It is 7000 Tasmania 4 game members, and 3000 Tasmanians with a different membership as is

Why are we suddenly leaving? Both parties are wanting the current arrangement to continue.

You have a fair point here but this is a negotiated deal between Hawthorn and the Tasmanian Government. And whilst the two parties continue to 'play ball' Hawthorn will never agree to play games against good drawing sides at York Park. It makes no financial sense to play any of those games there and play smaller drawing games at the 'G'. Tasmania need Hawthorn ATM. There are 8k members who demand the club play some games here and thus Government have their hands tied at the deal table. Expect the next deal to be something like 1 vic club(North, Saints, Sydney*, Brisbane*) and three interstate clubs (inc GWS and GC) each year.

*considered to be traditional Vic clubs in the current agreement.

You are in for a shock if you think Tassie needs Hawthorn ..i think you'll find it's the other way around ...any Victorian team would get the same support here in Tassie if they played other Victorian teams in Launceston...there is already rumblings here in the media about the Tasmanian Government wanting more games being played here involving Victorian clubs ..the sponsorship deal is up for re-negotiation soon ..expect Tassie to play hard ball with the Hawks .

You are in for a shock if you think Tassie needs Hawthorn ..i think you'll find it's the other way around ...any Victorian team would get the same support here in Tassie if they played other Victorian teams in Launceston...there is already rumblings here in the media about the Tasmanian Government wanting more games being played here involving Victorian clubs ..the sponsorship deal is up for re-negotiation soon ..expect Tassie to play hard ball with the Hawks .

So how do you explain stkildas fail.ure in the state?

Well they can take their sponsorship and shove it.

I am sick of buying reserved seats for hawks games and only getting the seat for seven games, two of which this year were back to back Sunday games against Swans and Port that nobody wanted to watch.

Collingwood fans can buy reserved seats get 11 games and have the option of reserved seats for away games as well! Hawthorn with their high proportion of reserved tickets holders is simply pissing away potential growth and revenue from Melbourne (the fastest growing major city in Australia) by playing in Tassie (a zero to negative growth area). They are damaging the hawthrorn brand in Melbourne with this arrangement.

The so called Tassie fans would drop the hawks in a heartbeat if they had their own team.

The reasons the Hawks play down there are:

1. The hawks were financially weak and crap on field when they entered the agreement so it was essentially opportunistic prostitution led by a farcial ex-politician.

2. Hawks fans will not to go to the crap dome to watch footy

3. Hawks fans will not turn up to games if they don't feel like it, or it is on the TV, or it is cold or they have something better to do. The number of empty silver resevre seats against essen'en last Friday was amazing about +80% in my bay (3 people in 16 seats in my row two which may have been blow ins). For a dry Friday night against a traditional enemy that was beyond staggeringly pathetic. But it does matter because the seats were pre-sold and all that counts in footy these days is money!

When I watched a mere 21,287 spectators show up to the last Port game I understood why the club took the slattern's path but in a way in doesn't matter if the members turn up or not, unless you are a parasite caterer, because the membership dollars are already in the bank.

One day the Hawks will exit Tasmania and I for one can't wait as I am sick of supporting a hybrid team playing in a region that is an economic basket case and has no growth prospects. But I doubt that an avaricious AFL will ever allow a team to be formed in Tassie even though they might push a club down there (gee it worked so well with North and the Gold Coast) so I guess I'm in for a long wait.

I can understand the AFL chasing the dollars in the growing regions like the Gold Coast or even in population centres like GWS to save the souls of the poor ignorant natives from the disease and degradation that is rugby but Tasmania wil never be on their agenda. I believe it is more likely to see another team in North Queensland or on the Sunshine coast before we'll ever see a team formed in Tassie.

I've been against the Tassie venture from the very beginning and I have said and will continue to say that I will not go to Tasmania while this agreement exists and I will not by any Hawks gear with Tasmania written across it

It's a shame really because I know a few people have gone to Tas for holidays and enjoyed it and because I need a new guernsey for my kid and I, but neither of them are going to happen

You Tassie supporters need to wake up to the reality that the Tasmanian sponsorship is the only reason your club is financially secure ..you can't have your cake and eat it too.

The Hawks/Tassie venture has been financially successful for both parties ..but all good things must end and now we see the Tas Government in talks with other Victorian teams regarding playing a few games out of Aurora stadium, and this is a good thing ...they are responsible for geting maximum return for their investment .
Whether it be with a better deal from Hawthorn...or get another club, it matters not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawks and Tassie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back