List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nate Caddy is worth a look for a big forward. 192cm and 91kg compared to Duursma at 189cm and 79kg. Has the size and the big body to almost debut in 2024 early.

2 games in August kicked bags of 4 and also racked up 20 disposals and 11 marks against Sandringham.

Nate Caddy is worth a look for a big forward. 192cm and 91kg compared to Duursma at 189cm and 79kg. Has the size and the big body to almost debut in 2024 early.

2 games in August kicked bags of 4 and also racked up 20 disposals and 11 marks against Sandringham.
I don’t watch any of the underage stuff, but I’m always a little wary of more physically developed kids, as they won’t have that advantage when they play against men.

Bailey Smith (Hawthorn nuffie) vs Harley Reid - they’d probably cost us the same … which would you rather have?

Bailey Smith (Hawthorn nuffie) vs Harley Reid - they’d probably cost us the same … which would you rather have?
If I had to choose it would probably be Bailey Smith as he is a proven performer when he's on whereas Harley Reid although he is highly touted and could be anything he is yet to grace the stage

I don’t watch any of the underage stuff, but I’m always a little wary of more physically developed kids, as they won’t have that advantage when they play against men.
Different sport, but what changed my mind on this was Lebron James.

He was NBA ready in high school.

Tim Watson was also as good as he was going to get at 16 or 17.

Some good players develop early.

With the season over, I'm considering our possible list changes and this is probably the place to speculate?
I guess we'll have maybe 4 draft picks (3, 28, 48 +1), 0-2 Trade & DFA signings and maybe a spot leftover for a SPP Listing.
I read a while back that Newk is still a rookie, so probably needs to be upgraded to the main list this year, so that's 6-8 list changes.

Of our uncontracted players:
Keep:
Josh Bennetts - Cat B rookie
James Blanck - Surely his re-signing isn't dependent on whether we sing a Ratugolea / McKay etc.
Sam Butler - Has the tools.
Jarman Impey - Best 22 lock.
Max Ramsden - Appears to have improved on last season considerably. Club seemed to pivot towards giving him more ruck time as the season progressed.
Jai Serong - TBC if how he goes as a lockdown defender but appears capable of participating in ball movement chains.
Jacob Koschitzke - Typically played well with strong contributions in the games we won. Currently our best Fwd/Ruck option in front of Meek & Ramsden.
Brandon Ryan - Has work to do, but a somewhat unique skillset and we clearly need more support up fwd for Mitch Lewis.

Gone:
Max Lynch - Retired.
Tyler Brockman - Return to WA on the cards.
Fergus Greene - Despite coming 4th in our goal kicking, looks to be behind quite a few.
Josh Morris - I like him as a player but had another injury affected season. I didn't think ZLJ sounded too enthused in his weekly player reviews.
Emerson Jeka - Key Position Player with a skillset - likely gone for list space. Particularly as club is reported to be chasing a big KPD.

TBC:
Lachie Bramble - Strong VFL performances with Kade Simpson a strong supporter of his. Gone if additional list space is needed.
Fionn O'Hara - could be retained as a Cat B rookie for another year, which we might do if we want to sign Irish players moving fwd (when considering whether to give AFL a crack, not a good look if we delist prior to the full 3 year Cat B rookie period). Club has the cash and delisting him won't free up a main list spot.
Chad Wingard - I have no idea how open the hawks are to signing Chad for a year to get him thru his rehab period and keep him around the club. We could put him on the LTI and use his spot for an MSD pick but that would depend on whether we think his body will be up to it upon return, the value he provides off-field during his rehab and the money available in our cap (whether we sign any star players, are able to pick purchase etc.). Might be influenced by how bullish the club is on Bennetts, Butler & JOS. Seems unlikely to me. I suspect we'd keep Bramble ahead of Chad.

Frost & Tucker signed until 2024.

Sam singled out Long’s significant improvement at Box Hill this year on 3AW when discussing improvement of the list which suggests to me he has him staying.
That was before Hustwaite debuted. Long is about 4th in line for the role he plays.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I imagine we won't be taking more than 4 in the ND given its depth or lack of.

Assuming we bring in 1-2 players via trade / FA, that means we need to clear out 6 senior listed players.

Lynch (retire)
Morris (delist)
Greene (delist)
Bramble (delist)
Long (delist)
Brocky (trade)

That would tell me the following are safe unless there is an additional ND pick or trade in.

Frost
Wingard
Kosi
Scrimshaw
CJ
Morrison

Ok. But significant improvement didn't get him ahead of Nash and Hustwaite. And then there's Stephens waiting in the wings.
Sure but all I’m saying is that Sam made a point of singling him out for his improvement this year when asked about the improvement of our midfield (along with Day and Jai). So whilst he is down the pecking order, I’d just be surprised if we move him on based on Sam’s comments. Could be wrong, maybe he’s just buttering him up.

I imagine we won't be taking more than 4 in the ND given its depth or lack of.

Assuming we bring in 1-2 players via trade / FA, that means we need to clear out 6 senior listed players.

Lynch (retire)
Morris (delist)
Greene (delist)
Bramble (delist)
Long (delist)
Brocky (trade)

That would tell me the following are safe unless there is an additional ND pick or trade in.

Frost
Wingard
Kosi
Scrimshaw
CJ
Morrison
I think this would be delusional by us. We finished 16th and have had a shocking record against the teams near us. A few good wins against the top teams does not cover up the cracks. We need more mids and forwards and a good key back. We do need to trade and delist reasonably aggressively - only six changes is not aggressive enough.

I think this would be delusional by us. We finished 16th and have had a shocking record against the teams near us. A few good wins against the top teams does not cover up the cracks. We need more mids and forwards and a good key back. We do need to trade and delist reasonably aggressively - only six changes is not aggressive enough.
There is a ton of growth to come from the current squad. There will not be wholesale cuts this year. 6-7 absolute max of the senior listed players.

The forgotten man is Frost here could Sam consider him a forward next year to help Mitch if no other options come up. Could North make a play for Kosi with 2 or more years

We have a functioning midfield now, which was step 1, moving on TOM and JOM, bringing in some replacements and seeing the young blokes show signs for the future, it's gone from a long term problem area to a potential future strength, now I think we need to focus on KPF and general forwards, kicking a winning score more often should increase our wins column.

Unfortunately with Brockman looking like asking for a trade, Wingard injury and mostly underperforming, the cupboard is looking bare, we have Lewis, Breust and Moore, then a bunch of part time mids taking up forward spots, not really kicking anywhere near 2 goals a game or big pressure/tackle numbers or goal assists, which is limiting our scoring imo, that's why Watson/Duursma will help, maybe Gresham?

Don’t we see Max Ramsden as a future forward he should be hitting the weights room over summer so next year we have a forward line of DGB - Ramsden - Lewis just need some quality small tacking crumbing forwards if Watson is one then maybe we pick him.

The forgotten man is Frost here could Sam consider him a forward next year to help Mitch if no other options come up. Could North make a play for Kosi with 2 or more years
I think one learning from the last part of the season is that Frost can either be moved on or should be playing VFL and considered a depth player if still on the list.

There is a ton of growth to come from the current squad. There will not be wholesale cuts this year. 6-7 absolute max of the senior listed players.
I am so on board with the development to come of our existing squad, while the draft is exciting getting another preseason and honing our game plan as a group and best positions for players will throw up some as yet unearthed talent, ready to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back