Autopsy Hawks lose to *

Remove this Banner Ad

Birch has tripled his super in the space of 3 years, will take home more than most would get from 40 years of employment. It’s mastery from him
Utterly idiotic.

245 games by the age of 31.
Even with the last 3 seasons out of the game, he has delivered exceptional value for the club.
Pretty much hit the ground running as a draftee and has given consistent, elite level performance for 10 seasons straight.

You're showing your character with these kinds of comments.

It was 2 out of 40 at one stage

Maybe someone can ask Clarko in front of Dunstall tonight if he thinks he would have kicked 1254 goals with the game plan of bombing long to a contest?

Oh how i long for a lead out, chest mark, turn around, kick a goal moment, let alone game plan with it in it.

This current persistence with bombing long to a contest and hoping for a crumbed goal is doing my head in, it is just so predictable and easy to defend. To get so many inside 50’s and not take a mark is telling, our mids get enough of the ball, we just don’t present for them, so they pause, chip sideways and that gives teams time to set up.

Utterly idiotic.

245 games by the age of 31.
Even with the last 3 seasons out of the game, he has delivered exceptional value for the club.
Pretty much hit the ground running as a draftee and has given consistent, elite level performance for 10 seasons straight.

You're showing your character with these kinds of comments.

Why? Because I show no emotional attachment to players? I haven’t belittled or played down his contribution, what I’m saying is the 3 last years have been a disaster. In essence it’s simply been 3 years of 600k (or there about’s wasted).

Any American tram, European football club and a severance would have been negotiated. It may seem harsh to you and others but that’s my view.

Our coaches need to have an ability to understand that in order to win you need an element of risk in attack. Our whole game plan atm is so conservative, yep it was great back in the threepeat era to control movement by chip, chip, chip when we got three goals up, chip, chip draw the defender up the ground up to the point that we could pull the trigger then kick long to space behind the last line. Now that last line doesn't come at us anymore because they know the long kick is coming.
Not enough numbers come from behind to join in, overlap run from defense, we are two risk adverse, no risking it for a biscuit. I haven't done the numbers on goals from player playing halfback or back pocket for the year but I'd be pretty sure that they would be down on past data, hell we are struggling to score goals from running wingmen, need to speculate to accumulate.
On the forwards they also suffer from the restrictive nature of our game plan, half forwards starting too high in order to strangle opposition rebound, got to get it that grid. They should be starting deeper as to draw out defenders and be better hit up options, atm the balance between being attacking forwards or defensive forwards is wrong.
There was a time when the AFL jargon was all about having a two way running midfield this isn't our problem but we don't have a two way running bookended team, our forwards are lazy and chose to setup defensively as their go to rather than run back hard at the slight chance of a forward thrust and come at the ball to spread oppo defenders, work rate.
Our defence is just doing what most back lines do when teams aren't winning on a regular basis and that is to sit back and look after ones self, not many second man up spoils or leaving ones own opponent to help out atm, just too safe and too much deferring to system, system, system.
Said it once already but need to give to gain more often than not.

Maybe someone can ask Clarko in front of Dunstall tonight if he thinks he would have kicked 1254 goals with the game plan of bombing long to a contest?

Oh how i long for a lead out, chest mark, turn around, kick a goal moment, let alone game plan with it in it.

This current persistence with bombing long to a contest and hoping for a crumbed goal is doing my head in, it is just so predictable and easy to defend. To get so many inside 50’s and not take a mark is telling, our mids get enough of the ball, we just don’t present for them, so they pause, chip sideways and that gives teams time to set up.

Essendon structured up exceptionally well, we struggled to penetrate. The only time we looked a chance was quick footy taking the corridor, however modern coaches (in particular Clarko) want to steer clear of this for fear of turnover footy. Clarko bases our game on trying to hold possession and going East/West and stretching the oppos zone, it was a monumental failure last night but a lot of that has to do with the cattle we have.

This off-season is our most important in 15 years, another failed season will see fair weathered supporters fall off and even more sparse stands in the ground.

The turn out last night of hawk fans was pretty pathetic.

Why? Because I show no emotional attachment to players? I haven’t belittled or played down his contribution, what I’m saying is the 3 last years have been a disaster. In essence it’s simply been 3 years of 600k (or there about’s wasted).

Any American tram, European football club and a severance would have been negotiated. It may seem harsh to you and others but that’s my view.
Don't play games with me fella.
You've made out like he's been a schemer padding his pension at the club's expense.

Owen Hargreaves sat out years on the sidelines while contracted at a pretty penny for Manchest United.
Countless others too.

Our coaches need to have an ability to understand that in order to win you need an element of risk in attack. Our whole game plan atm is so conservative, yep it was great back in the threepeat era to control movement by chip, chip, chip when we got three goals up, chip, chip draw the defender up the ground up to the point that we could pull the trigger then kick long to space behind the last line. Now that last line doesn't come at us anymore because that no that the long kick is coming.
Not enough numbers come from behind to join in, overlap run from defense, we are two risk adverse, no risking it for a biscuit. I haven't done the numbers on goals from player playing halfback or back pocket for the year but I'd be pretty sure that they would be down on past data, hell we are struggling to score goals from running wingmen, need to speculate to accumulate.
On the forwards they also suffer from the restrictive nature of our game plan, half forwards starting too high in order to strangle opposition rebound, got to get it that grid. They should be starting deeper as to draw out defenders and be better hit up options, atm the balance between being attacking forwards or defensive forwards is wrong.
There was a time when the AFL jargon was all about having a two way running midfield this isn't our problem but we don't have a two way running bookended team, our forwards are lazy and chose to setup defensively as their go to rather than run back hard at the slight chance of a forward thrust and come at the ball to spread oppo defenders, work rate.
Our defence is just doing what most back lines do when teams aren't winning on a regular basis and that is to sit back and look after ones self, not many second man up spoils or leaving ones own opponent to help out atm, just too safe and too much deferring to system, system, system.
Said it once already but need to give to gain more often than not.

Spot on bumps you wiry wise man 😜

Scully started in the F50 then rolled up as an extra mid, that helped us control uncontested footy but left us -1 in the F50 and Essendon just went to town on us... my love for Clarko is immeasurable, our greatest ever coach but last night he was given a bit of a touch up.

But you are showing emotion. You're showing your frustration & making it out to be something that it isn't.

Birch signed a long-term contract BEFORE he hurt his knee. He hasn't been busted drinking of ****ing around with his re-hab & it isn't like he & the club haven't done everything possible to get him fit again.

Ever think that maybe he would have retired & taken a payout/settlement if he didn't think he would play again? No? Had actually never even considered it? Because it doesn't fit your frustrated narrative. You want to blow off steam & mouth off as though he's lounging around cashing cheques. How about assume that if he believed his body was done, he'd have pulled the pin 2 years ago???

And... who really gives a **** what US & Euro Teams might have done in DIFFERENT SPORTS, WITH DIFFERENT CONTRACTS & RULES???? Those guys earn millions of dollars per year so paying them out 3yrs probs means they'd walk away with minimum $10m on a negotiated buyout. Birch would've walked away with $1m, maximum (nobody be stupid & just multiply his contract length by assumed earnings as it is a buyout amount, meaning it is lower).

Your unwillingness (it isn't inability, because we know you're not stupid) to be sensible about this matter is bloody annoying to read.

But you are showing emotion. You're showing your frustration & making it out to be something that it isn't.

Birch signed a long-term contract BEFORE he hurt his knee. He hasn't been busted drinking of ****ing around with his re-hab & it isn't like he & the club haven't done everything possible to get him fit again.

Ever think that maybe he would have retired & taken a payout/settlement if he didn't think he would play again? No? Had actually never even considered it? Because it doesn't fit your frustrated narrative. You want to blow off steam & mouth off as though he's lounging around cashing cheques. How about assume that if he believed his body was done, he'd have pulled the pin 2 years ago???

And... who really gives a **** what US & Euro Teams might have done in DIFFERENT SPORTS, WITH DIFFERENT CONTRACTS & RULES???? Those guys earn millions of dollars per year so paying them out 3yrs probs means they'd walk away with minimum $10m on a negotiated buyout. Birch would've walked away with $1m, maximum (nobody be stupid & just multiply his contract length by assumed earnings as it is a buyout amount, meaning it is lower).

Your unwillingness (it isn't inability, because we know you're not stupid) to be sensible about this matter is bloody annoying to read.

Listen, I respect what you say but I can assure you there’s no emotion from my end regarding players for any team I support... I categorically respect the ability and elite determination and grit to make it at the highest level, but I support the club, I have done so my whole life and continue to do so both emotionally and financially for the rest of my life.. but for me, I am absolute in my views and say it as such.

PS. For his farewell I’ll be in the stands clapping and celebrating like everyone else.

Don't play games with me fella.
You've made out like he's been a schemer padding his pension at the club's expense.

Owen Hargreaves sat out years on the sidelines while contracted at a pretty penny for Manchest United.
Countless others too.

Lol.. don’t educate me on soccer/football.. I will go to town on you and give 10 fold the amount of times players were moved on because of injury. We are more lenient in Australia

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stratton should be removed as captain immediately, honestly who does that on a footy field? The only reason he does is because he knows he’s not going to get smacked, you do that playing at a lower level or another sport and you will get a flogging. I’m just embarrassed that our club captain acts in that manner.
It was embarrassing and simple not on. I would expect within the club there should but some sort of action .

But removing him from the captaincy immediately for that is way over the top.

Don't know what's worse

Creating a systematic doping regime
Or losing to a team that created a systematic doping regime!

giphy.gif

Provided plenty of answers, we are not good enough

On SM-G920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

It raised plenty of questions in my mind. I thought the tweaking of the game plan and trying Sicily in the forward line would make us more competitive. At least Clarkson tried something different. He had to. We have been barely competitive this year. Maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention but there are a number of depth players at the club that aren't up to AFL standard even as fill ins and that combined with a number of aging players that are struggling week in week out looks to me like we have bigger list problems than I previously thought. I didn't expect to be a top 8 team this year but I also hadn't previously seen the issues that I saw last night. In addition to that there seems to be a serious fitness problem because the team seems to slow down dramatically after half time. The Essendon midfield got on top of us which is the main reason they won the game. I can understand Worpel and Cousins are still developing but I put down Smith's errors late in the game to the fact that he just didn't have any energy left. One final matter is the skill errors and maybe some of the poor kicking (and there was plenty of it in the second half) is a fitness issue but if the team has fitness and skill problems at this stage of the season then something is wrong.

Reality check for us I'm afraid, being mad about Lewis or Teia Miles not playing is being mad about a forward averaging less than a 32 year old post cancer Hawthorn legend dropped for lacking impact, potential be damned there's nothing good happening for Lewis against the Bombers backline by himself. And the 16 touch one paced shorty that looks like post knee injury Whitecross at best, not that I'd mind terribly.

Remember when we were dropping J Lewis and Sewell and people were mildly surprised but not mad? How things can change in a few years, and the wheel will spin again, this is a joke compared to watching Tom Murphy play key defender all season. We'll be right.
I wouldn’t say reality check , last night was in line with our form for a decent part of this season . We are playing to what is our level for 2019.

It was the lack of the energy and at times intensity that was most disappointing

Lol.. don’t educate me on soccer/football.. I will go to town on you and give 10 fold the amount of times players were moved on because of injury. We are more lenient in Australia
Plenty of good ones have stuck around too.
The talent pools and club options are simply incomparable to AFL.
Silly to even bring that up.
It's just more nonsense from you on this topic.

Let it go.

This.

There a multiple reasons for this shit ball movement but number 1 is Clarko trying to protect the defence. Ultra conservative and defensive mindset and it's faarking our attack.

Reason is that he knows our midfield will struggle without Mitchell. So he tries to play possession footy - to deny the oppo possession, and to slow the oppo scoring. Problem is, we then can't score. Then it becomes a shitfest.

We struggled last night for 2 reasons. They smacked us in the centre clearances in the 3rd. Cant defend that. And their half backs in Saad and McKenna broke the lines and took the corridor. Also didn't help that Hurley and Hooker took 24 between em.

Surprised we got within 3 goals.

On top of that our senior guns are flat as. Breust and Gunston are killing us. We rely on them.

Clarko has a choice. Release the shackles and risk a blowout, or a win. Or put up with boring but small losses, and minimal wins. Point blank.

Unfortunately the media have a serious man crush on Clarko and will not bring him to question.
Surely some heat starts to come his way, I mean trading away 3 1st round draft picks and than stating we are a middle of the road side?
Bit of irony there champ!!
Yes you are right, thinking bringing in a few players can open up our premiership window. As someone else said at time of getting rid of Mitchell/Lewis, that was not a brave decision, real brave decision was of getting high draft picks, keeping our high draft picks, those guys that are underperforming now are 30 or approaching, were 25-26 peak of their powers when Mitchell/Lewis were delisted. Basically there was 2 school of thought, 1. rebuilt- trade first round picks for established players, 2. know those guys 26-28 will not be in your premiership window, get good draft picks along with existing trade picks and build nucleus of 5-6 very good young players, then go through trading once core neclus set up like before when we had young Hodge/Mitchell/Lewis/Roughead etc. As you said read the playing list wrong, does not help that guys like Stratton/Bruest/Smith are no longer performing well, decline has been fast.

Plenty of good ones have stuck around too.
The talent pools and club options are simply incomparable to AFL.
Silly to even bring that up.
It's just more nonsense from you on this topic.

Let it go.

I was replying to another poster, that’s what happens here, you often reply to people #LowAndBehold

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawks lose to *

Remove this Banner Ad

Back