Autopsy Hawks vs Cats - Do the autopsy here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Roos!

I am firmly of the belief that our blokes need a coach who can break the game down into simple principles and one who values particular characteristics for each position on the ground rather than manufacturing players into positions.

Roos certainly has that view towards football. Cannot underestimate what a new voice would do either (as long as it isnt Mark Neeld).

look, plenty of things to take from this.

• this was the wakeup call we needed.
  • the boys will be hurting. watch out cats next time.
  • was a moral victory; hodgey in and we win easily.
  • when ellis gets on the park he will add some class to the midfield.
  • roughy is invaluable in the forward line.
  • do you think clarko is showing the opposition our A-game? ha ha ha.
  • boys will be hurting.
  • we will beat them when it matters. we have the mental edge in finals.
  • boys will be hurting.
  • clarko is an innovator; he will revolutionise the modern game come finals.
i think that about covers it.

The wakeup call we needed?? Surely the other 9 losses were enough wakeup calls.

In all honesty we were pathetic today, to go from dominating the game to getting absolutely pantsed in the space of 20 minutes is discgraceful. Nothing else to say.....

Thought we would lose by 3 or 4 goals based on our prep compared to the Cats. They have completed a much higher % of training blocks in the pre season than what we have. Not making excuses but that's the reality. The 3rd quarter fade out was not a surprise ....writing was on the wall late in the 2nd. It was more frustrating the way we lost rather than losing itself (if that makes sense).

This week will be interesting. Recovery from a physical game, 6 day turnaround. It becomes a really important game to gain momentum. The question remains do we have the conditioning to take it up to the Eagles. Time will tell.

I dunno, Phil. I thought there was some danger signs half way through the second quarter. We actually had the chance to bury them, I thought, and squandered chance after chance. We seemed sharp and more creative than the Cats and able to bust their systems apart when needed. Aside from a disturbing lack of concern about leaving the defensive wing open, we seemed in total control but not taking our chances. The guy I was with turned to me when we were about 5 goals up and said, "we should be at least 7 goals up... they need to hold this lead going into half time." But we didn't. Letting up two easy goals just before the bell was critical.

Then, of course, in the third quarter they smashed us. We seemed so flat footed; handballing to stationery players, over-using the ball etc. Our forward line was disfunctional. Couldn't help but ponder with the sheer quantity of tall talent (on paper) why we didn't use them to advantage. Roughead seems to lack a position.

We can muse all we like about fitness, first game of the year and the like, but, for me, once again, a frailty was exposed by the Cats. Our gameplan unravelled and, most alarmingly, our forward line was reduced to impotency much like what the Swans did on Grand Final game.

I'm not going to rule a line through anything until a few rounds have passed, but there are a few worrying signs for me and they're not new one, rather ones that have dogged us for a couple of years. Above all, and I know this is contentious, but there's something about the spirit of the Cats, their belief, their desire that just seems to show us up of late.

Bit reactionary to sack a coach after a 7 point defeat but my question is who would replace him if he was sacked? There really aren't many great candidates around from first thought.

That's the problem, this shit has been going on since 2009. We gave him an out for 09 due to injury, but then we were disgusting in 2010. If Richmond nail us that day, I reckon Kennett pounces.

Like with Buddy's contract, people say we need him for marketing. Are we a business to make money or win Premierships? Because you win Premierships, the money takes care of itself. This list had at least 2 more flags in it from 2008, yet all we have had is excuses, no finals, a flogging in Fremantle, a Prelim Choke and a GF choke! How many chances does Clarkson get?

I'd chase Paul Roos or Mark Williams. Both coach with man management in mind, not beasting the players and having them fear/hate you. Two Premiership coaches, one who saluted with very limited resources and another who works well with rejects. Or maybe we should've offered Cameron a succession plan deal two years ago? If Clarkson sooked up and quit, so be it.

The thing that pisses me off most about these games, is they is lost in the exact same fashion each time. Selwood, Bartel, Chapman and Taylor tear us a new one. How about putting a tag on for once :mad:

Clarko ended our losing streak against the Scums, but seems like he got no answer on how to end the streak against the Cats only thing I can think of is draw a line on the sand like we did in 2004 against the Scums when Schwab didn't care anymore he just wanted those Scums beat up!!

our defense went alright.... shoe.acer done well... usual shape goats all clear

gutted...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously way too tall up forward kept getting in each others road.
Looked so slow in the second half, errors made at selection table again like the GF.
Hill showed a bit in the first half which was great and Mitchell was just tireless all game.
Will get better , but better do it quick cos the next 7 weeks are hell.

Alright here's my "match review" for those that care to read it.

WARNING: criticism of Hawthorn players inside, if you find that offensive on principal then please direct your complains to... someone else. Thanks.

Roughead - Outclassed all day by better players. Didn't notice him hold a contested mark.
Lewis - Good in patches but didn't do enough. Seems to be spending less time in the midfield perhaps on account of his lack of pace.
Mitchell - What can you say? Only that we needed a couple more of him and I wouldn't blame him for being pissed at the lack of support he gets.
Gibson - Had a good game I thought, though his lack of size did show on a few occasions. Hardly his fault however.
Burgoyne - Did well in pressure situations, has a very cool head. Liked his game.
Hill - Dynamite in the first quarter then (understandably) eventually ran out of puff. Great game from the youngster, terribly pleasing to see.
Sewell - Typical warrior effort from Brad. No complaints here.
Birchall - Use of the ball was generally great as usual and he's such a tough competitor now.
Smith - Very disappointing. Doesn't like physical contact, poor disposal at times and doesn't get enough ball.
Guerra - Solid down back, a few stuff ups but I can forgive him.
Gunston - Would've been great had he played, who took his place in the side?
Hale - Mediocre in the ruck and didn't have a great game up forward. In other words pretty much your average Hale game vs quality opposition.
Savage - Not convinced. Gets caught holding the ball far too often, only at his best when running in a straight line with little traffic around him.
Bruest - Not a great game, closely marked and was a bit fumbly. Missed a crucial set shot under pressure which is hardly unusual.
Franklin - Did very little, as he always does against Geelong it seems. Perhaps we need to pay him more to increase his motivation.
Stratton - Some really nice clutch defensive efforts.
Shoenmakers - Very good game from Shoey, he can really hold his head up after the way he played today.
Shiels - Didn't notice him much which seems to be the norm.
Puopolo - Great at drawing high contact and competed hard. Not convinced he's best 22 material.
Rioli - Some nice clearances and he competed well all day, but didn't have a big influence.
Anderson - Nice bump, limited gametime.
Bailey - Had a great first half in particular, really gave the mids an armchair ride in the 2nd quarter. His work around the ground wasn't bad either!
Clarkson - Most overrated coach in the league? For mine he would have to go close. Playing Anderson (first gamer) on Selwood in the last quarter anyone?
Gameplan - Absolute rubbish. Tires players out enormously, doesn't generate enough easy scoring chances, usually fails against teams with great defenses ie. Geelong, Sydney, Collingwood of a few years back.
Entire Team - Mentally weak, still allowing oppositions to get huge run-ons, still woeful at set shots. Today was almost an exact replica of 2012 GF.

I don't why you cop it on here sometimes...to me.. you call it how it is. A SPADE is a SPADE..you can paint it gold and brown or white and blue..it is what is is..you called it how I saw it today...and I have been to the MCG and witnessed the last 8 losses against this mob in a row. SHOENMAKERS and MITCHELL can hold their heads up, high. Without the two of them . We would be in real trouble today. Clarkson needs to go for a walk in the house of mirrors. This is his trademark style of coaching and playing in clutch games. We are in for more of it during his tenure. Up by 30 points lose by anywhere between 2 and 9pts. As scripted today.

We lost by 1 goal and 1 point. It hurts and it sucks.
Based on both teams preseason not a bad result.

Hale, Shiels and Rioli all very underdone.

Mitch is a star
Shoey and Stratton will be stars.

The forwards had a stinker.
Harry Taylor is the best defender in the game or at least the best defensive mark.

Alright here's my "match review" for those that care to read it.

WARNING: criticism of Hawthorn players inside, if you find that offensive on principal then please direct your complains to... someone else. Thanks.

Roughead - Outclassed all day by better players. Didn't notice him hold a contested mark.
Lewis - Good in patches but didn't do enough. Seems to be spending less time in the midfield perhaps on account of his lack of pace.
Mitchell - What can you say? Only that we needed a couple more of him and I wouldn't blame him for being pissed at the lack of support he gets.
Gibson - Had a good game I thought, though his lack of size did show on a few occasions. Hardly his fault however.
Burgoyne - Did well in pressure situations, has a very cool head. Liked his game.
Hill - Dynamite in the first quarter then (understandably) eventually ran out of puff. Great game from the youngster, terribly pleasing to see.
Sewell - Typical warrior effort from Brad. No complaints here.
Birchall - Use of the ball was generally great as usual and he's such a tough competitor now.
Smith - Very disappointing. Doesn't like physical contact, poor disposal at times and doesn't get enough ball.
Guerra - Solid down back, a few stuff ups but I can forgive him.
Gunston - Would've been great had he played, who took his place in the side?
Hale - Mediocre in the ruck and didn't have a great game up forward. In other words pretty much your average Hale game vs quality opposition.
Savage - Not convinced. Gets caught holding the ball far too often, only at his best when running in a straight line with little traffic around him.
Bruest - Not a great game, closely marked and was a bit fumbly. Missed a crucial set shot under pressure which is hardly unusual.
Franklin - Did very little, as he always does against Geelong it seems. Perhaps we need to pay him more to increase his motivation.
Stratton - Some really nice clutch defensive efforts.
Shoenmakers - Very good game from Shoey, he can really hold his head up after the way he played today.
Shiels - Didn't notice him much which seems to be the norm.
Puopolo - Great at drawing high contact and competed hard. Not convinced he's best 22 material.
Rioli - Some nice clearances and he competed well all day, but didn't have a big influence.
Anderson - Nice bump, limited gametime.
Bailey - Had a great first half in particular, really gave the mids an armchair ride in the 2nd quarter. His work around the ground wasn't bad either!
Clarkson - Most overrated coach in the league? For mine he would have to go close. Playing Anderson (first gamer) on Selwood in the last quarter anyone?
Gameplan - Absolute rubbish. Tires players out enormously, doesn't generate enough easy scoring chances, usually fails against teams with great defenses ie. Geelong, Sydney, Collingwood of a few years back.
Entire Team - Mentally weak, still allowing oppositions to get huge run-ons, still woeful at set shots. Today was almost an exact replica of 2012 GF.
Great post.

Agree wholeheartedly with the three last points.

This is my last rant, but Clarkson has this bs philsophy that in our games, teams will have a 10 minute domination period of time. This is utter sh.t Clarkson. Dominate the whole game, stop letting teams into the game with your bs game plan.

Just BS excuses!!!

We dont have enough blokes who are scared of losing. We dont have enough blokes who niggle. We have way too many individuals with egos playing footy for the lifestyle or who are not as good as they think they are.

Where are our super competitive beasts? Who is aggressive in our side?

We lost Browndog, Crawf, Ossie, Dew who were all aggressive mongrels and farking hated losing. I would even put Willo in the competitive beast category. He had a will to compete when he really had to. Compare him to Gunston!!

Robbie Campbell had a big body he could use to hurt the opposition. Renouf was aggressive and ungainly.

I would name Goo as aggressive in the current side. He will kill you if he can. Lewis is but it is often cheap rather than genuine. Burger is. He hits the body hard. Puopolo has some aggression. Birch maybe developing a more physical game. Sewell is a fantastic competitor but not scary.

The rest?

We just are not an aggressive side. No white line fever. No intimidation. No win at any cost. Time to find a few players who are.

If young Langers doesnt get a game this year I will be filthy. He has the "it" that most of our blokes dont. Hallahan might be another but queries on his legspeed. Grimley has a newfound aggression. We need to find a few blokes with unwavering inner drive.

This is starting to look a bit like the Schwab era cycle:

Bad loss. A bloke like Roughie given another chance at selection. Plays well the next week. Plays ok the following week. Goes missing the next week. Plenty of exposed form with a lot of these blokes now. Time to make a call on a few of them.

AND CAN WE PUT SOME FARKING MUSCLE ON OUR PLAYERS SO THEY AT LEAST AND LOOK FEEL LIKE MEN???

Dont give Bosk any credit. Nothing new in his report.
Most true fans could have written that report yesterday.

We had every opportunity but lost to a more organised and determined side.

Got to be some concern about losing so many close ones.
Marathon season and not leading them out of the stadium.

Mitchell, Schoenmakers and Puopolo really the only standouts for me today. Hill was also superb in the first quarter. The moment that summed up the game for me was when Shiels was running for the ball and failed to get in line with it. Bartel was in line with it and burst away with it, whilst Shiels attempted to tap it forward. Really have got to get in line with the ball there to A win the ball or if not B take the opponent out. Cats wanted it more.

We had it good from the umpires today and we failed to capitalize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back