Autopsy Hawks vs Cats, Rd 15 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a surreal feeling going to a game, knowing you won't win. Not thinking, but knowing. I wish I didn't, but that's just the way it is now.

I reckon it' about time we put any comments about 2008 in the rack until we beat them again. What's the point in mentioning it. They've won two premierships since that day, and all this talk of "beating them when it matters" is redundant, since the biggest win of the eleven was in a final.

Maybe it's time to shut our collective traps about this supposed Grand Final 'wood' over them that we have, and open up again if and when we beat them in the new future.

Only the most optimistic amongst us honestly think we can beat them in the near future. I for one will be hoping we AVOID them in September, not play them.

We generally are out coached when we play them. As great a coach Clarkson is. Yes he has us on top. He has yet worked out a way to beat Geelong in 5 years. Hate to say it. They even outmuscled us on occasions tonight. That weed Mackie even got stuck into a few of our players. We play like we are submissive to them. Period. Somehow the coaching staff need to break this weird strangle hold they have on our team. Hard to comprehend really.

I had a sulk on the way home, was shattered that we were never really in it, but have calmed down now.
Geelong were really good, just always seemed to have more players at the contest and so much faster.
We were just plain messy for the most part. But hey.

Not confident at all about finals now, not writing us off at all. But the question mark over us in high pressure games has gotten a lot bigger for me.

Are you serious...? How many times in how many Cats v's Hawks games do you want to see the same thing mate....NO not the loss ...!!! the same dysfunctional game plan...loose Cats running all over the ground in the early critical stages....Cats defenders under no pressure for the 1st two kicks out of their defensive end...and Cats outrunners on the edge of the square receiving and running free at every bounce down....I will never be, or claim to be an expert, but after this many losses to the same team with the same strategy....BLIND FREDDY....would have changed things up....just a tad....and these days being top of the ladder means 'diddly squat....

You need to post less, I wish I could agree with what you say, but you have no idea.

The game meant nothing, mate.

There's only one game that matters.

;)

Lets not ignore the pressure Geelong put on in the first half.. We were travelling at only 40% efficiency by foot at half time.

In hindsight it was a mistake to not play Cyril in the 1st half as I believe we would have been at least 2 goals better of with him on the ground.

You can't expect to win games of footy kicking 4 goals in the first 3 quarters.

The only positive is that Tomohawk & JPod did no damage.. They usually kick 10 goals between them.

I thought it was fair enough to have Cyril as a sub, his first hit out in 10 weeks he may have only had 30mins in him. Its not all about beating geelong there are still 8 games to win.

It's a surreal feeling going to a game, knowing you won't win. Not thinking, but knowing. I wish I didn't, but that's just the way it is now.

I reckon it' about time we put any comments about 2008 in the rack until we beat them again. What's the point in mentioning it. They've won two premierships since that day, and all this talk of "beating them when it matters" is redundant, since the biggest win of the eleven was in a final.

Maybe it's time to shut our collective traps about this supposed Grand Final 'wood' over them that we have, and open up again if and when we beat them in the new future.

Only the most optimistic amongst us honestly think we can beat them in the near future. I for one will be hoping we AVOID them in September, not play them.

It is quite a juicy trump card to hold should we meet them in the gf though isn't it? I think it will be our collectively obligations to turn up that pressure hose on them should it happen. Tonight sucked but in the bigger picture surely that works in our favour doesn't it?

the other scenario being we lose to them in QF then meet them going for lucky 13 in a row against us in the gf. It's pretty intriguing.

First of....

- Against good teams, the best teams, with midfields as good as ours or even better.... we cannot carry two genuine lumbering ruckman anymore. We appear slow and void of run. Works well against inferior sides.

- Sewell is cooked, done finished. Gone. He has nowhere to hide. If he is having a stinker through the midfield...well we are just stuck with him. If we push him to the half forward flank, he's slow and he's the last person in our side that we want the ball in his hands kicking inside 50.
Sewell Out: Lewis in, eat a f*cking hamburger because you look malnourished. No negative jobs anymore, just hunt the contested football which was your strength untill we turned him into something he was not.

- Whitecross, keep your feet FFS.

- Delivery inside 50...absolutely deplorable. kicking to a forwards advantage = non existent.

-Franklin, you're not Carey. You ain't a contested marking forward.....Get on your bike like Riewoldt and run you defender ragged. That is your god given talent. use it. Use it. F*cking use it.

- Luke Hodge, you're our captain you're our leader. What you showed tonight is exactly why you're not a champion of this game. Against the best sides you continually go missing. The man you replaced as captain needed help.....Where were you?

-Why do Geelong always win...its pretty simple, its because all there on field leaders consistently stand up while ours continue to go missing. Selwood Bartel Kelly Enright compared to Hawthorn. Mitchell, who else ? Hodge Stunk, Sewell Stunk, Lewis Stunk. Then we get down to our bottom six. This is probably the area which separates the best from the rest. They have a player like Murdoch who kicks 3 last quarter goals whilst we have Savage who provided SFA. He doesn't play next week.

I may have been mistaken, but why did wait till the last quarter to bring Burgoyne through the middle of the ground.

As for the kick ins, heck me every time it was the same, we'd get it to the first option ok and then either turned a hand ball over or the next kick went to a contest and the pressure resumed!!!!!!!
Really missed shoe, suckling and birch tonight, all three core to is getting it out of our backline smoothly.
I know the first two been out most of the year, but I have noticed it in other games as well, esp when Birch tagged out of it. It's just that other teams haven't been able to punish us as much.

Clarko didn't show his cards? so what do you think clarko has up his sleeve that he didnt show?
Hill is comming along nicely.
But I'm not sure what you saw tonight that made you feel that something special is about to happen, but I wouldnt mind a bit of what your on ;)

They need UDO firing them up before a game.

As far as I'm concerned, 12 wins in a row counts for nothing. We haven't learnt a thing in 5 fricken' years, absolutely pathetic. Laughable in fact. That's all you can do really, laugh.

Surprisingly 'meh' about the whole thing. Think it's more than expected these days against the cats to the extent where the only exciting thing about the whole game is how we lose. Perhaps unlike other times where I have felt we've been the better team for longer, I thought they were better tonight. And it seemed rather boring too, not sure why.

They have our measure, we have carltons. It happens. We're still in a good position and the two matches vs the cats each year i pencil down as losses anyhow so as far as im concerned we're undefeated :)

the sky is falling, the sky is falling !!! I'm pretty sure we're still on top, just a shame that we lost again to the bloody cats.

Mitchell, Hill, Gunston, Lake all had pretty good games. Thought it was a mistake to have Cyril in the vest.

Geelong just killed us through the corridor.

Disappointing to see the crap aimed at Buddy, the delivery was very poor, and thats what you get when the ball is just hacked forward time and time again.

But the most hateful thing is having to wear this avatar for a month.
Losses expose weakness and we need to bring up our weaknesses so its not all bad.

Really think we lack the bigger stronger bodies to compete in close against the big bodied cats.

Lacked so much drive from back line, so much of our attack comes from half back and we didn't have the run. Whitecross back there was a bit rusty, but isn't the type of player to get the run going from half back.

Hill has gone past Isaac smith Imo. I have said this before about smith, but he is the type of player who doesn't have a high ceiling of potential. I think what you see is what you get for most of his career. I think Hill has more upside.

No one better at holding Buddy in every single contest than Lonergan. I have no idea how Buddy cannot lose his cool
Hill is great on the offence but just a little lacking in defence. Geelong and others just push him off in the contest. He's a little light framed at the moment but hopefully will fill out a little with time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is quite a juicy trump card to hold should we meet them in the gf though isn't it? I think it will be our collectively obligations to turn up that pressure hose on them should it happen. Tonight sucked but in the bigger picture surely that works in our favour doesn't it?

the other scenario being we lose to them in QF then meet them going for lucky 13 in a row against us in the gf. It's pretty intriguing.
Yes, but our gameplan goes out the window when we play them. We second guess ourselves, we're second to the ball, we cannot mark a thing, and we just bomb it to no-one. There was nothing at all tonight to suggest we will beat them any time soon.

Geelong will be licking their lips if they play us in a final.

I thought it was fair enough to have Cyril as a sub, his first hit out in 10 weeks he may have only had 30mins in him. Its not all about beating geelong there are still 8 games to win.

Give him a few weeks at Box Hill then, don't bring him in in a high pressure game where we need all players to be able to contribute 100% for the whole of the game.

Sick of our midfielders not running back and defending. We were exposed so many times tonight.

Surprisingly 'meh' about the whole thing. Think it's more than expected these days against the cats to the extent where the only exciting thing about the whole game is how we lose. Perhaps unlike other times where I have felt we've been the better team for longer, I thought they were better tonight. And it seemed rather boring too, not sure why.

They have our measure, we have carltons. It happens. We're still in a good position and the two matches vs the cats each year i pencil down as losses anyhow so as far as im concerned we're undefeated :)

And Collingwood's. As you say, it happens. Too much weight being placed on this loss by some people (IMO).

flipping groundhog day. These games for me are like a gambling addiction. At the end of it after having my heart broken, I tell myself next time I won't even bother but as time passes I tell myself "next time will be better". and then the cycle repeats. flipping horrendous. I dont know whats worse. the fact that so many players go missing against geelong or the fact that they always play out of their skins against us. i have been to heaps of their other games where they look like they couldnt give a flying **** but against us we are playing a completely different side. we butcher so much against them. our goalkicking for one was awful. I like roughy but when was the last time he stood up in an important game/final instead of dominating shit opposition. Only Lake and maybe Mitchell, Hale, Hill and Stratton get a pass mark tonight. Everyone else can go **** themselves tbh. Gunston, Breust, Buddy, Savage, Smith, Sewell, Lewis may as well have not been playing. When they were 6 goals up in the last I thought at least my hopes werent up at any stage and then guess what. GROUNDHOG DAY!!. every flipping time. Throughout the game they had loose players everywhere and we were lucky not to be down by more for a lot of the game. Some of our players are either too slow or don't put in hard enough. I think Clarko is the best coach around but he doesn't seem to have a game plan against these guys. When I got home tonight I couldnt take of my Hawthorn gear fast enough because I was that dissapointed in the boys. Usually I would never leave the game early but with about 2min left I started to leave because I listening to those campaigners sing the song would have been the final straw. Ask anyone, I am a pretty calm guy but tonight (and probably any geelong game from the last 3 years) really tested my restraint. To make it worse some clueless dickhead behind me was really pissing me off. First off he asked his mate where that "other bald headed bloke that looks like Ablett is" and then when his mate told him he was talking about Chapman he replied "oh ok has he retired has he?". Secondly he kept saying "carn kitties" every 2minutes.
What's the bet we come out and smash Port next week(although it won't be easy) and everyone will forget about how mentally weak we are against these campaigners
I would love to play them in the Grand Final. No idea why as they will probably win but I feel that is the only way we have a chance of making up for the last 11 games

On a slightly positive note, I made a bit of money at the TAB on the game. Easiest money I will ever make backing Geelong against us. $2.50 they were paying. Money for jam

I didnt see too much of the game last night, will sit down and check it out.
Firstly -Nay sayers, just realise that anything can happen in finals. We probably WILL meet them again this year, and I'm pretty sure we've got the team that can get them.
Secondly, we have been playing pretty poorly and getting away with fairly mundane wins.
Thirdly they're a good team the cats, dont be too down about the loss! They make better decisions under pressure .

Now, how many set shot goals did we kick? Seemed like a lot of our goals were from lucky stoppage kicks (Rough, Hale , Gunston) .
Anyway, still a long way to go. Move on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawks vs Cats, Rd 15 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Back