Preview Hawks vs The Cola Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We haven't actually paid $10M yet so not sure what you are saying. If he can't play because of an issue he won't get paid. Simple!
Mitch Clark of Melbourne has had the 2015 season in his contract made null & void. The Demons don't have to include it in their salary cap either.
Why? They took the punt on him. Yep! The AFL said we would have to include Buddy's contract into our salary cap but the Clark situation sets a precedent for argument. The Swans aren't as dumb as many would like to think. And the AFL are more dumb than many would hope.

EFA. The Mitch Clark thing does open up a can of worms with not paying players/ salary cap exemptions for career ending injury/ other conditions.

So it looks like I'm going to have to take the GM from the office to watch us toy with the Sydney slobs, no-one is travelling to the game? I can see the stadium from my balcony but because Sydney's roads are so effed it'd take me 40 mins to get to the stadium and park! Sydney as a whole is a pathetically inept city in so many ways.

I can understand why not many travel.

Rd8 teams released - Syd v Haw: Franklin, Tippett in for Pyke, B Jack. Cheney, Stratton, Langford in for Lake, Mitchell, Litherland.

Full team...

B: Cheney Gibson Schoenmakers
HB: Hodge Stratton Suckling
C: Birchall Burgoyne Hill
HF: Rioli Gunston Smith
F: Breust Roughead Hale
Foll: McEvoy Lewis Hallahan
I/C: Hartung Puopolo Duryea Langford

Emerg: Ceglar Wanganeen Simpkin

In: K.Cheney , B.Stratton , W.Langford
Out: B.Lake (Calf) , S.Mitchell (Hamstring) , A.Litherland (Omitted)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So it looks like I'm going to have to take the GM from the office to watch us toy with the Sydney slobs, no-one is travelling to the game? I can see the stadium from my balcony but because Sydney's roads are so effed it'd take me 40 mins to get to the stadium and park! Sydney as a whole is a pathetically inept city in so many ways.

I can understand why not many travel.
I thought about going to training tonight but didn't have 3 hours spare to drive the 15 km out there.

Good analysis, but I would put Schoe into the equation. Him to take Goodes, Gibbo to Franklyn and Stratts to Tippet. I think this would minimise the consequences of the back men being isolated. Hodge, Birch to provide rebound and backup. I was quite nervous, but I'm feeling more confident about our ability to cover these guys.
Goodes would be to smart for Schoe, Stratton would be a better option.

The salary cap in 9 years time won't be around 10 mill it'll be more likely 15 mill.

Franklins contract is back ended.

It doesn't take a genius to know he won't play it out.

More likely 5-6 years then take some bs coaching role.

1.5 mill - 2 mill won't be a lot to the $wan$ then even if he ain't playing when the caps increased.

Whole thing is a joke
#bloodscultureisbloodmoney

This is pretty much what will happen but with a slim chance he may play a 7th year.
He'll be 33 at the start of year 7 of his contract.
No one is to know.
As far as it being a joke, the Hawks may have one player on $1.5M in 5 years time who may sit out a year with a knee injury. Things change. Calculated Risks must be taken by clubs from time to time.

EFA. The Mitch Clark thing does open up a can of worms with not paying players/ salary cap exemptions for career ending injury/ other conditions.

I didn't want to push the issue too much on here but take the Buddy rumours over the years for example.
The Swans sign him up for this contract not 'officially' knowing his status in regards to these rumours because only club Doctors are to know. So those in charge of signing players to contracts must do so not knowing the status of these players. How would a contract hold up in the courts should such a player have these issues derail his career. We won't be as bad off should the wheels fall off Buddy due to his rumoured issues.
You know that. I know that. The AFL know that. The Mitch Clark situation proves that.

I would like to see Cheney play Gibsons third man up role, while Gibson play one on one with Buddy. Hopefully he can shine, I see him filling this role in the furture more so than the "Guerra" role people have spoken of.

Good ins given our injuries. Great to have Stratts and Langford back in particular.

Hopefully Cheney is given an appropriate matchup and not left on Tippett.

We have had a good record against Shitney in recent times (since 2008 - 4 losses compared to 9 wins) so they are far from a bogey side considering we have won our last 3 games against them in Sydney.

Got to love how they beat Melb and Brisbane and suddenly they are back to their best and that their overrated midfield will dominate against us.

I'm sure it will be a tight contest if we allow them to play it on their terms. However, the spuds that will ruck for them (not even sure who their second ruck given that they brought two forwards in to replace a ruckman and a midfield type) will make it difficult for them to dominate the clearances.

Can see us tagging Girlceski or McVeigh (Puopolo) and Jack (Langford) and having Lewis going head to head with JK3. They will probably try and tag Birchall and Smith.

Really hope we absolutely smash them and show they that they are top 4 pretenders.

This is pretty much what will happen but with a slim chance he may play a 7th year.
He'll be 33 at the start of year 7 of his contract.
No one is to know.
As far as it being a joke, the Hawks may have one player on $1.5M in 5 years time who may sit out a year with a knee injury. Things change. Calculated Risks must be taken by clubs from time to time.
I appreciate what you are saying and I do agree that the amount he will be paid towards the end of the contract won't seem as much in 5-9 years time. However, if he's being paid roughly $1.5 mil per year in the final year of the contract and the salary cap is double at $20 mil per year that's still a lot of money. It will still be a massive chunk of your salary cap. It's the equivalent of what the best players in most teams are being paid now.

I doubt (although I have no idea) that anyone at the hawks is being paid more than $750k per year (fitting into a $10 mil cap) which is the equivalent of buddy getting $1.5 mil per year in a $20 mil cap. It's what daisy Thomas is getting paid now which is ridiculous money. Only thing is you guys could be paying it for a guy who's not even playing.

I didn't want to push the issue too much on here but take the Buddy rumours over the years for example.
The Swans sign him up for this contract not 'officially' knowing his status in regards to these rumours because only club Doctors are to know. So those in charge of signing players to contracts must do so not knowing the status of these players. How would a contract hold up in the courts should such a player have these issues derail his career. We won't be as bad off should the wheels fall off Buddy due to his rumoured issues.
You know that. I know that. The AFL know that. The Mitch Clark situation proves that.

I take it you have fallen in love hard with him :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back