• Yes

Votes: 300 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 18 5.3%
  • Bring back the pelican

Votes: 23 6.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Mitchell was not part of an unsuccessful team prior to joining the Hawks though was he? His motivation had to be money. The only other attraction there would be Clarkson.

The Hawks tipped out two of their very best to get Titch and JOM too. It would have been the equivalent of us pushing out Riewoldt and Montagna at the end of last year to get one or both. Now that would have been an extraordinary move, and in all likelihood a very unpopular one.

But can you imagine us with Tom Mitchell in the middle, working with an emerging Longer? Now imagine us going into this years draft with just our picks, Tom Mitchell coming off that season, and the possibility of either Martin or Kelly presenting.

Which is the right path to tread? Stick fat with our motto and stay loyal? Or farm out our champions and set ourselves up for the future? Let's be brutally honest. We could have seen Rooey and Montagna off gracefully last year. Rooey would forever be remembered as being at the top of his game. Joey could have got another two to three years with another club., rather than just one more with us. Could've been playing finals at Melbourne.

It's cutthroat in the list managers world, especially when you are prepared to move mountains.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Interesting. I look at the ladder & see them with 10.5 wins & falling. Now they have no draft pick til pick 34 this year & are still hugely reliant on the silk of a bloke who's gonna be 35-36 next yr.

They have some good young talent that the media absolutely fawn over, but feel these kids are heavily overrated just because it's Hawthorn.

Give them 2018 & 2019, we'll really know then.

Edit: No doubts that Titch (pick 14) was an absolute steal, which in effect is countered by the huge overpaying for JOM (picks 7,23,24,36).

I'm very intrigued to see who they move on this year. Smith? Cyril? Birchall? And then see who their targets are... Whitfield?

Last edited:
Interesting. I look at the ladder & see them with 10.5 wins & falling. Now they have no draft pick til pick 34 this year & are still hugely reliant on the silk of a bloke who's gonna be 35-36 next yr.

They have some good young talent that the media absolutely fawn over, but feel these kids are heavily overrated just because it's Hawthorn.

Give them 2018 & 2019, we'll really know then.

Yeah, I agree with your assessment. But I really couldn't give two hoots about the Hawks and their impending decline.

Just saying that Tom Mitchell's move must have been all about the money. Either that or he badly miscalculated their win loss potential.

And if it was all about the money then we were in the mix, because of the size of our war chest. Should we have gone harder when that window presented?

Im hearing the Hawks will tread the FA path or whats remaining of it .( Rockliff , Trengrove, Zaharakis ect....)
Surely they will trade out a player , not sure who . Birchall has been linked to W.A clubs i have no clue to his value ...2nd rounder ?

Im hearing the Hawks will tread the FA path or whats remaining of it .( Rockliff , Trengrove, Zaharakis ect....)
Surely they will trade out a player , not sure who . Birchall has been linked to W.A clubs i have no clue to his value ...2nd rounder ?

If the Hawks sent Cyril and a second rounder to GWS and got Kelly I'd be furious. Sick of those campaigners winning off the livelihood of other clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the Hawks sent Cyril and a second rounder to GWS and got Kelly I'd be furious. Sick of those campaigners winning off the livelihood of other clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No chance they would let Cyril go. Poppy and Whitecross are the 2 most likely to head north.

Poppy did his value no harm last night too. Him and Greene would be potent at GWS. Whitecross would go to Brisbane or GCS.

But surely the main focus here is whether pick 7 and 9 or 10 get you Kelly?

Tom Mitchell was not part of an unsuccessful team prior to joining the Hawks though was he? His motivation had to be money. The only other attraction there would be Clarkson.

The Hawks tipped out two of their very best to get Titch and JOM too. It would have been the equivalent of us pushing out Riewoldt and Montagna at the end of last year to get one or both. Now that would have been an extraordinary move, and in all likelihood a very unpopular one.

But can you imagine us with Tom Mitchell in the middle, working with an emerging Longer? Now imagine us going into this years draft with just our picks, Tom Mitchell coming off that season, and the possibility of either Martin or Kelly presenting.

Which is the right path to tread? Stick fat with our motto and stay loyal? Or farm out our champions and set ourselves up for the future? Let's be brutally honest. We could have seen Rooey and Montagna off gracefully last year. Rooey would forever be remembered as being at the top of his game. Joey could have got another two to three years with another club., rather than just one more with us. Could've been playing finals at Melbourne.

It's cutthroat in the list managers world, especially when you are prepared to move mountains.

There were rumours for a long time that he was getting seriously pissed off playing NEAFL despite racking huge numbers. Perhaps the damage had been done by the time he was getting senior games. I think the Swans tempted him to Sydney with bigger money than most draftees too so money probably always a tempter for him. He had a bit of a reputation of being a big accumulator with a bit of a lack of damage in them too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Logically the Hawks with no good picks will seek to boost their list now with FAs.

Rockliff , Trengrove, Zaharakis would certainly improve their list in areas that they are weak in.

Lets hope they just get more Vickerys though.

Yeah, I agree with your assessment. But I really couldn't give two hoots about the Hawks and their impending decline.

Just saying that Tom Mitchell's move must have been all about the money. Either that or he badly miscalculated their win loss potential.

And if it was all about the money then we were in the mix, because of the size of our war chest. Should we have gone harder when that window presented?

I believe Swans lowballed him to the point where he had no choice but to come knocking on our door (& probably other clubs as well). I don't think he really wanted to leave.

I still don't know how hawthorn beat Sydney and Adelaide. Was looking like a too 5 pick halfway through, but 7 will do I guess.
we were looking sat pick 1 for while how delicious would have been that!!

oh well!

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Hawthorn 2017 1st Round Pick Watch

Back