News Hawthorn in the media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Just like last years thread, whatever Barrett has to say is not Hawthorn in the media.

Couldn’t care less for his shit takes, they don’t belong here.

People need to stop trying to join witch hunts
In my world, if I had a meeting with an important customer/client that I tried but failed to reschedule, I'd ensure I kept the appointment unless there were truly extenuating circumstances that prevented me from attending. I certainly wouldn't be calling in sick. I trust that would be the case with any professional in any walk of life.

There is no more important demographic than kids, when it comes to AFL customers. Once Ginni knew he'd failed to reschedule the clinic, the worst thing he could've done was what he did - take a sickie.

I trust the club will ensure the two make up for it, regardless of whether or not the club itself was initially involved in the clinic. Indeed, I'd like the club to ensure additional players attend the rescheduled clinic, to make it an even better day for the kids and their parents.

I actually can't believe people are defending this so strongly.

They left 80 CHILDREN disappointed, some of which travelled a distance to be there.

I probably viewed this differently when I wasn't a father, but kids just appreciate it when you show up. They wouldn't know you were hungover or crook or whatever. If you're their hero, just being there is enough.

Poorly organised, and yes, as Hawthorn footballers it does reflect badly on the club whether it was an official club event or not.

No matter what industry you work in, calling in sick because you sunk too many beers the previous night is poor form. Doing so and letting down the most important members of your fanbase is actually worse.

Anyway, it's done now. Looking forward to seeing the replacement event go off without a hitch!

Lets wait to get all the information first on this.

If it's correct that a player ( sounds like Ginni ) gave two weeks notice of a reschedule , well that's on the organiser's of the event .

I would want facts before we are hanging the players out here.

Regardless, unless he was told it was off he was obligated to show up.

The only alternative here is that they knew on Saturday night the event was still on but got drunk and missed it anyway.

The righteous have spoken. The lads must be condemned & we are fortunate to have the best morality police.

View attachment 2134871
I haven't read what everyone has written on the topic - don't have time - but whilst I think it's understandable what happened - you have a few drinks, more, get thoroughly drunk and then are just too horribly hungover to function properly the next day (done it myself many times in my youth although not as a vip guest of a footy clinic). When you're young it takes a while, quite a number of mistakes, to get things through your thick skull to be frank.
But, whilst it's understandable, it's pretty disappointing behaviour when you have parents who have paid good money to have you attend a publicised footy clinic and coach their kids. Hope Watson and Ginnivan learn from it and make up for it. I don't think there's anything righteous about Hawks supporters wanting that. Or do you think there's no problem at all?

I actually can't believe people are defending this so strongly.

They left 80 CHILDREN disappointed, some of which travelled a distance to be there.

I probably viewed this differently when I wasn't a father, but kids just appreciate it when you show up. They wouldn't know you were hungover or crook or whatever. If you're their hero, just being there is enough.

Poorly organised, and yes, as Hawthorn footballers it does reflect badly on the club whether it was an official club event or not.

No matter what industry you work in, calling in sick because you sunk too many beers the previous night is poor form. Doing so and letting down the most important members of your fanbase is actually worse.

Anyway, it's done now. Looking forward to seeing the replacement event go off without a hitch!
A player reached out to the organiser to reschedule this event. This was ignored. The reasons for the reschedule were obvious.

The only alternative here is that they knew on Saturday night the event was still on but got drunk and missed it anyway.
This is not an Official Hawthorn event. They are not obligated to show up. They asked for the event to be rescheduled. This was denied.

Last edited:

The company organizing the event have acted in bad faith, situation was explain well in advance once the clash was known

Company was aware that there was a chance they would not be there and continued to take money post knowing the situation

This is not an Official Hawthorn event. The are not obligated to show up. They asked for the event to be rescheduled. This was denied.
I'd imagine it's not easy to reschedule a clinic, even with two weeks notice, for scores of kids and their parents, some of whom were travelling large distances on what i think was the last day of school holidays, to ensure their kids met their heroes.

What do you reckon Ginni and Wiz's options were once the reschedule request was denied?

This is not an Official Hawthorn event. The are not obligated to show up. They asked for the event to be rescheduled. This was denied.
Yes, but reports (which may or may not be true) suggest they only said they weren't coming an hour before the event - sick. So I presume that means that they intended to go even though their request to reschedule was denied? If the players told them a week ago we won't be there and the organisers went ahead anyway, then that's different.

Anyway, I guess more facts will come out.

I'd imagine it's not easy to reschedule a clinic, even with two weeks notice, for scores of kids and their parents, some of whom were travelling large distances on what i think was the last day of school holidays, to ensure their kids met their heroes.

What do you reckon Ginni and Wiz's options were once the reschedule request was denied?
They had no options. Sam at the Crimmins medal mentioned in his speech that this was the one day for the players to celebrate and let their hair down. So, they did.

Yes, but reports (which may or may not be true) suggest they only said they weren't coming an hour before the event - sick. So I presume that means that they intended to go even though their request to reschedule was denied? If the players told them a week ago we won't be there and the organisers went ahead anyway, then that's different.

Anyway, I guess more facts will come out.
I am unsure how much of the details of this will be released. Hopefully we will hear more

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They had no options. Sam at the Crimmins medal mentioned in his speech that this was the one day for the players to celebrate and let their hair down. So, they did.
I'm guessing Sam wasn't aware of the clinic at that stage, given it wasn't a club event. Had he been, I'm certain he would have told Ginni and Wiz to celebrate and let their hair down on the night but make sure they attended the clinic the next day.

There were umpteen occasions when I let my hair down in my younger days and still turned up to work the next day - and I'm referring to the time when I was a decade older than what Ginni and Wiz are today. To say they had no options is, I reckon, a bit of a cop-out.

All that being said, I'm sure the club will do whatever is necessary to ensure lessons are learnt and the requisite repair-work is carried out.

The cheer squad are working overtime today.

Outside of the Hawthorn Forum, there isn't a single person that thinks giving one hour sick calls to a pre-arranged kids function is acceptable in 2024.

It doesn't matter if there was an attempt to reschedule 2 weeks prior.

The simple facts are that there is a heap of bad publicity coming Hawthorns way.

Jack and Nick should have been advised better and told to go.

It's as simple as that.

Letting down a bunch of kids - many of whom travelled for hours and paid money for Jack and Nick to attend - is a terrible look.

Bailing because you were on the sauce is even worse.

I'd imagine the PR team will be on overtime today.

When I was in high school, the footy coach (who was also our science teacher) missed his own premiership celebrations for which he was senior coach (in the Ovens and Murray league) because there was a state competition final on early that week. Instead of celebrating Mad Monday with his team he drove a bunch of year 9 kids to a small town for a one-off game.

You do what you have to do.

Sam Mitchell saying 'let your hair down boys' doesn't absolve Ginni and Wiz from missing a function they'd committed to.
If Sam knew about it I'm sure he would have told them to do whatever they can to make it.
Getting maggotted isn't a valid excuse.

Absolutely it should be the time for the players to let their hair down and celebrate the year. Sam also proudly mentioned in his speech a couple of times that we are the ‘family’ club. A lot of kids and family would have been terribly disappointed the two boys didn’t show. I think the club will make sure those families know we screwed up and scheduling conflict like that doesn’t happen again.

Terrible scheduling, but also an atrocious look to no show.
I'm sure many of us have rocked up to commitments after having a massive night/morning whilst praying the earth would swallow you whole to avoid having to show up. Sometimes you just gotta go.

I'm also sure when their age we've thrown 'sickies', but we also weren't professional athletes with a massive amount of knowledge & training about their role in the public eye and the impact of their behaviours.

Kids at that clinic would have been shattered, and are fans of the club that will now have a bitter taste about the experience for a very long time.

I think it would have been a worse look if two hawthorn players attended a kids program stinking of booze from the night before. Their foot skills would not have improved with a hangover either so would have looked horrible. Watson is touch and go in front of goals as it is.

Terrible scheduling, but also an atrocious look to no show.
I'm sure many of us have rocked up to commitments after having a massive night/morning whilst praying the earth would swallow you whole to avoid having to show up. Sometimes you just gotta go.

I'm also sure when their age we've thrown 'sickies', but we also weren't professional athletes with a massive amount of knowledge & training about their role in the public eye and the impact of their behaviours.

Kids at that clinic would have been shattered, and are fans of the club that will now have a bitter taste about the experience for a very long time.

I have a mate who is a Swans nuffie.

When we were kids we played at half time of a Hawthorn vs Sydney game. We were in the Swans rooms and my mate (who was 12 at the time) approached Jarrod Crouch who subsequently told him to piss off.

He's never really forgiven him for it.

If it's correct, 2 weeks is quite a lot of notice to reschedule or organise an alternative ( other players or whatever )
I've had things for my kids get rebooked at 24 even 48 hours notice . Paid events or classes.

In my industry which is appointment based that's an eternity of time .

I've seen ' no show ' mentioned which is totally incorrect.

Again I think we need more facts here , but i would think the organisers might be trying to pass off blame here on this one.

I have a mate who is a Swans nuffie.

When we were kids we played at half time of a Hawthorn vs Sydney game. We were in the Swans rooms and my mate (who was 12 at the time) approached Jarrod Crouch who subsequently told him to piss off.

He's never really forgiven him for it.
Absolutely!
The reason I am a Hawthorn supporter to begin with is because when my old man was very young, he was taken into the Hawthorn rooms after a game and had such a great experience interacting with the players which immediately made him a fan for life. The flow on effect is real!

I haven't read what everyone has written on the topic - don't have time - but whilst I think it's understandable what happened - you have a few drinks, more, get thoroughly drunk and then are just too horribly hungover to function properly the next day (done it myself many times in my youth although not as a vip guest of a footy clinic). When you're young it takes a while, quite a number of mistakes, to get things through your thick skull to be frank.
But, whilst it's understandable, it's pretty disappointing behaviour when you have parents who have paid good money to have you attend a publicised footy clinic and coach their kids. Hope Watson and Ginnivan learn from it and make up for it. I don't think there's anything righteous about Hawks supporters wanting that. Or do you think there's no problem at all?
Hopefully the monies will be refunded & like you said that they learn from it.
Some parents & kids might carry over a bit of once bitten twice shy while others will be over it & get on with their lives.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Hawthorn in the media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back