Autopsy Hawthorn loses to Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Just stop with the "if only we brought X into the side". There are no magic INs left to try.
100% this. Last week it was 'bring in Brand', 'why was Cousins dropped?' now this week it will be 'bring JOR in'. At absolute best these fringe types are bottom 6 players in a good side. It's back to the top end of the draft for mine.

So if Rough goes out with an "injury" (not sure Clarko would ever let "Omitted" appear next to his name) do we play Schoey and Lewis in the forward line?

Who comes in to bring pace to our play?

Who actually wanted the ball today? Gunston and.....
Impy, Mitchell and Hardwick. Everyone else was very poor in my opinion.

Geez O Rourke must be pretty crook to not get a game in that team....

I'm thinking about pulling one the boots again after watching some of theses blokes play today, fair dinkum if Taylor Duryea is in the best 22 we are a bottom 4 team....

While I am having a moan is there any chance of a forward having some presence ? Not much point playing Schoenmakers or TOB as they have both shown they are not capable. Don't think there's any choice but to play Big Boy and Ceglar in the same team, one deep and one in ruck.

Over to you Clarko... Good luck mate thinking you need it.. Over and out..
Definetly need Ceglar back with Big Boy to offer something in the forward line.

If we insist on maintaining our current forward line tactic of long bombs to no ones in particular we need a big body who can take a contested mark (can't recall the last time our forwards took one of those)

Positives. Season has ended for us so we can blood the young players.
Negatives. Might take us a few years in the draft to reach the Top echelon again.

Sadly, I feel we are in a really difficult space list wise. The current list is probably going to be middle of the road for the next few seasons. This might net a pick 8, 9 or 10. Not 1,2 or 3.

Our unparalleled success is seemingly catching up to us in terms of not having access to early draft picks.

It's just so hard, without bias, to get overly excited by any young player not named Sicily and Burton (second year blues withstanding).

I posted in the Lovell thread, I watched Tom Phillips last night. He was pick 58 same year as Lovell (2015). Damn, I just can't think of a young exciting mid on our list. Any of Howe, Cousins, O'Rourke and Lovell are really only going to be solid at best yeah?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you don't lock the ball in your forward 50 you don't win games in 2018. 21% of our inside 50's resulted in a goal vs their 39%

That is the stat for the game.

Brand simply is not AFL level. Every time the ball came in he gave away a free kick. Never once learned to properly contest.

Our percentage dropped about 12% which will hurt us at the end of the year.

That’s bullshit. Rough was one of the few that stood up in the second half. As always had to play around the ground to try and plug the gaps.
Not bullshit mate, he never looked like even ATTEMPTING to grab the game by the scruff... enjoy ur opinion, he played ruck forward and had no impact, especially in LEADERSHIP

We're either going to three shades of shit pumped from us, or like most games against the Eagles in Melbourne there's a sudden form reversal and we win by 6+ goals

I’m watching them play and if the hawks get within 6 goals of them I’ll be shocked - remember the games at Etihad not the MCG

Game was won and lost in the forward arcs today. They were just simply more efficient. Brisbane had 29 shots from 51 entries for 57% efficiency, we had 18 shots from 52 entries for 35% efficiency.

We had more:
- contested possessions
- uncontested possessions
- inside 50s
- clearances
- tackles

So there's not a hell of a lot statistically speaking that we're doing wrong. We're just simply not as lethal inside 50 as what we use to be. Goes back to the old adage of making the most of your opportunities which we are currently not doing, so it's not all doom & gloom, glass half full.

It's a pretty simple equation if you want to beat Hawthorn currently, nullify our outside run off half back and you'll go a long way to beating us. Happened last week, and happened again today.

We roll onto West Coast now.

Negatives were obvious.

Positives:
- Mirra was pretty reliable with ball in hand, not sure what his defensive work was like when he didn't have it, but didn't see him cough it up much which can't be said for many of our back half.
- Hardwick is a competitive beast and rarely loses a contest.
- Impey continuing to show what a great recruit he was.
- Morrison continues to look good under pressure for a kid with so few games under his belt, in a rout he was far from the worst.
- Burton copped a bit in the game day thread, but thought he's finally starting to get a bit more involved. He was also prone last year to trying to do a little too much when he had the ball, and that happened a few times today, but rather see that than him barely touching it, and see it as a sign he's ready to get closer to 2017 form.
- Some STFU for those droning on about how Lewis/Brand are the answer for TOB/Frawley. Although this is not really much of a positive given it shows our KPF/KPD stocks are not very deep. Lewis of course is super raw, so wasn't expecting him to have a huge impact, and it will be good for his development to have had a run in the seniors, just think it was the wrong selection choice, and TOB would have provided more.

Last edited:
Maybe it’s the new mix with the young players coming in but it just seems the “team” things aren’t getting done at the moment. No shepherding, lack of two-way running or hard running to create space. Added to the poor tackling that has been evident at stages for a while now, it makes the side look slow and lazy. Maybe it’s just inexperience, not quite sure where to be yet or when it’s their turn to go. It’ll all come good in the end.

Haven't see the game, how did Lewis go? Or did we take too long to get the ball in to him?

Took too long for all the forwards
Just on this - last quarter, 40 points down and 10 minutes to go and hawks players are still looking for side way options rather than moving the ball forward at every opportunity. I know there’s a game plan and the young blokes would be loathe to deviate but there comes a time when you need to think outside the box and take the game on

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawthorn loses to Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back