Autopsy Hawthorn loses to Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Lions were well schooled in how to beat us and did it beautifully. Deserved the win , they’ll be hard to beat up there for the rest of the season . They’ll head up the ladder with a bullet next season .
Danger signs all over this game with heaps of changes and a poor form line

No doubt there will be a lot of tactic and gameplay analysis , which will be a good read

My biggest concern - when the game was slipping away where was the hunger , will and determination to fight to turn things around ? Where was the leadership ?
Let’s be honest a team of kids dictated to us then ran right over us without too much fight coming the other way
That above anything is a huge worry .

Maybe the reality is we fired our best shots in the first month of the season ? Maybe we are now seeing our true level ?

Was out of the house all day and away from media and social media. Haven't read this or the game day thread yet for thoughts on the game.

Had asked my son to record the game so I could watch it fresh when I get home (10 mins ago) and went to put it on and he managed to stuff up recording it. Obviously a good thing once I check the AFL app for scores.

Without having seen it I fear my pre-game worries played a part. Six changes are just too many in any one week even if form warrants on the players individually. Smacked of arrogance of trying to use shit opposition to make an example and getting bitten on the arse.

Ah well, hope Hodgey played well at least.

Why do posters who question Clarkson automatically get attacked on here?
Nobody should be off limits at this club

It's more than appropriate to question Clarko. It's part and parcel of an AFL coach. However, to suggest he's 'lost the players' after a loss like that is a knee-jerk reaction if I've ever seen one.

Haven't see the game, how did Lewis go? Or did we take too long to get the ball in to him?

Thought he tried hard and had some good second efforts that translated to goals. But he was manhandled in marking contents, and would attempt to mark the ball from bad positions. Pretty much what you expect from a developing big man playing his first game - decent signs but ultimately a quiet game with little impact.

If we had any semblance of proper ball movement I think he would have had a better day. But we were horrid with delivery, horrid with effort, horrid with disposal and horrid at defending.

Did everyone see Smith give Sicily a word when he didn’t block for him in the pocket?
Sicily didn’t give a toss at that point & Smithy knew it & told him.
Unfortunately it may be a small learning point for the young “star” to play to the siren

Geez Brand is copping a flogging in here, first game back in how long?

Our mids were letting them walk out of the clearances, give him some continuity to prove himself.

Selecting Mirra ahead of O'Rourke/Lovell is a real head scratcher, Tom needs help and by help I don't mean dour support in the guts.

I hope Lewis gets another crack at it, he now has the feel for the tempo and should get in better positions to fly for his marks.

Why do we drop these types of games?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not surprised. For those who have been calling out for weeks to drop all our experienced players, there you go.

Frawley is a far better option than Brand. Neither has good disposal but at least frawley can spoil a ball in the air, provides leadership and has far better positioning.

Howe also needs to come back in. Adds so much defensively to our midfield which we were clearly lacking today.

Lewis provided less then O'Brien would have. To be fair it was his first game but still it is another loss of experience. Ideally Cegler comes back in to take up this position.

Mitchell was fantastic. Tried his heart out. Had a somewhat low kicking efficancy but that can partially be attributed to our lack of reliable forward targets.

Impey was fantastic took the game on when most had given up. Has been a great inclusion to the team.

Hardwick was our best defender. Tough at it and won most one on ones.

Gunston our best forward. Absolute class. Would be even better if he had more support.

Thought Burgoyne looked slow. Not his best game.

Roughy tried hard as well. Pretty solid game especially in the first half.

Worpel had a few nice moments highlighted by his first goal in AFL. However was in and out of the game and still looks (understandably) a bit behind the tempo.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not bullshit mate, he never looked like even ATTEMPTING to grab the game by the scruff... enjoy ur opinion, he played ruck forward and had no impact, especially in LEADERSHIP

Not sure what you expect a captain to do when about 17 of his teammates have decided they didn’t want to play footy today.

Sadly, I feel we are in a really difficult space list wise. The current list is probably going to be middle of the road for the next few seasons. This might net a pick 8, 9 or 10. Not 1,2 or 3.

Our unparalleled success is seemingly catching up to us in terms of not having access to early draft picks.

It's just so hard, without bias, to get overly excited by any young player not named Sicily and Burton (second year blues withstanding).

I posted in the Lovell thread, I watched Tom Phillips last night. He was pick 58 same year as Lovell (2015). Damn, I just can't think of a young exciting mid on our list. Any of Howe, Cousins, O'Rourke and Lovell are really only going to be solid at best yeah?
Yeah.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As long as Clarko stops trading our early draft picks I’ll be happy. If he’s unsure of his future he shouldn’t have a say in whether he mortgages our future by trading away early picks.

Lucky we have Jeff back now to keep him in line. He had way too much power under previous leadership.

You realise that’s not the decision of the coach, right?

Not sure what you expect a captain to do when about 17 of his teammates have decided they didn’t want to play footy today.
Not saying he was on his own but I wouldn't have minded seeing him lead up at the footy and jumping like Hipwood, rather than sagging off the back of high ball packs as if he was 'posting up'

That is the stat for the game.

Brand simply is not AFL level. Every time the ball came in he gave away a free kick. Never once learned to properly contest.

Our percentage dropped about 12% which will hurt us at the end of the year.

But Brand was the answer they told me. Far better than Frawley they said.

Not saying he was on his own but I wouldn't have minded seeing him lead up at the footy and jumping like Hipwood, rather than sagging off the back of high ball packs as if he was 'posting up'

Not much he can do when that’s not our game style and hasn’t been for years. For mine he was in the handful that actually gave a damn today, in small company with Smith, Mitchell, Hardwick and Impey.

I think its evident that we cannot generate run on our terms....much like last year

Last year we played numbers behind the ball, which gave us run and overlap in transition, opened up our forward line where we ran into space.

This slow and stagnate crap nullifies our forward line.

The coach has a massive massive influence, especially when it’s Clarko with 4 flags behind him. Delusional if you believe the list manager decides to do that independently.

Did I say it was an independent decision? The only one who gave that impression was you.

Lions were well schooled in how to beat us and did it beautifully. Deserved the win , they’ll be hard to beat up there for the rest of the season . They’ll head up the ladder with a bullet next season .
Danger signs all over this game with heaps of changes and a poor form line

No doubt there will be a lot of tactic and gameplay analysis , which will be a good read

My biggest concern - when the game was slipping away where was the hunger , will and determination to fight to turn things around ? Where was the leadership ?
Let’s be honest a team of kids dictated to us then ran right over us without too much fight coming the other way
That above anything is a huge worry .

Maybe the reality is we fired our best shots in the first month of the season ? Maybe we are now seeing our true level ?
No doubt we have shown our true colours today.
Top 8 is just fanciful nonsense this year.
Next week will be unfortunate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawthorn loses to Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back