NO TROLLS Hawthorn Racism Review - Sensitive issues discussed. Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t use this thread as an opportunity to troll North or any other clubs, you’ll be removed from the discussion. Stick to the topic and please keep it civil and respectful to those involved. Keep personal arguements out of this thread.
Help moderators by not quoting obvious trolls and use the report button, please and thank you.

If you feel upset or need to talk you can call either Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636 or Lifeline on 13 11 14 at any time.

- Crisis support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders 13YARN (13 92 76) 13YARN - Call 13 92 76 | 24 /7

This is a serious topic, please treat it as such.

Videos, statements etc in the OP here:

Link to Hawthorn Statement. - Link to ABC Sports article. - Leaked Report

Process Plan - https://resources.afl.com.au/afl/do...erms-of-Reference-and-Process-Plan-FINAL-.pdf

AFL Ends Investigation - 'Imperfect resolution' as Hawks probe ends, no one charged

DO NOT QUOTE THREADS FROM OTHER BOARDS

Last edited by a moderator:
And of course being a ratbag crosses all racial / cultural groups.

And having good character is not the sole domain of upper, middle class private school kids either. The Hawks have a bunch of absolutely awesome Indigenous role models at the club at the moment (Impey, Amon) and the recent past (Burgoyne, Wingard, Bateman)

But it's hard to deny that clubs are seeming to be a lot more risk adverse recently at taking a punt on kids with troubled backgrounds / behavioural issues. And as you say this whole mess won't be helping in making them change their minds on that strategy.
Hawthorn’s draft strategy during that period was largely dictated by it success. We had no access to early picks, so we speculated on players that had football abilities of an early pick but lacked sufficient character to justify a first round selection. Dale Garlett is a similar example of this. When that particular decision blew up in our faces there was no shortage of arm chair critics champing at the bit to point out where we went wrong. History has largely proved those critics right.

From what I have read it seems it took place at and office at the club. Someone can correct me on this if they know otherwise. The Hawks appear to be very good at keeping records relating to player welfare discussions (look at what they have on hand about Peterson's issues).

As I said before if they can't prove this specific claim I think they (the players and also the ABC) are in trouble.

All of the other claims (calling Cyril Humphrey, Jeffs bad taste joke, etc) I doubt would come close to passing any legal threshold of racism.
The Humphrey B Bear comment and the ripped jeans affairs and shit storm that has evolved because of this has Eagan’s fingerprints all over it. In court of public opinion the Rioli’s claims pale into insignificance when compared to Birchall’s exchange with Hill, which was nipped in bud quick smart. And yet here we are off to the federal court.

The player claiming a number of things with racism as the reason is being shown to be mutually exclusive with the truth.

I don't think it says anything either way in terms of claims of racism, but it is very significant in terms of damages. I'd expect Hawks to call up tigers as witnesses to help argue that his approach to footy was pre-existing and why he didn't make it rather than treatment by the Hawks.

Last edited:

The Humphrey B Bear comment and the ripped jeans affairs and shit storm that has evolved because of this has Eagan’s fingerprints all over it. In court of public opinion the Rioli’s claims pale into insignificance when compared to Birchall’s exchange with Hill, which was nipped in bud quick smart. And yet here we are off to the federal court.
Yeh the one clear cut, undeniable racist incident that is not in dispute is what Birchall said and that was dealt with straight away and from all accounts pretty effectively as well.

As I said before if they can't prove this specific claim I think they (the players and also the ABC) are in trouble.
Oh yes, the ABC reporting Peterson's recollection of events is going to cause real big trouble, hopefully the ABC is cancelled entirely: would serve them right for having the temerity to publish these claims without confirming there were audio recordings and detailed minutes first

Oh yes, the ABC reporting Peterson's recollection of events is going to cause real big trouble, hopefully the ABC is cancelled entirely: would serve them right for having the temerity to publish these claims without confirming there were audio recordings and detailed minutes first
Oh dear.

Character assassination on Peterson is a bit funny isn't it. Young bloke who smoked a marijuana joint one time, must be lying, can't be trusted, ABC should be cancelled etc.

Meanwhile, Alistair Clarkson is a very trustworthy individual who has never not acted with the highest level of integrity and maturity lmao.

Character assassination on Peterson is a bit funny isn't it. Young bloke who smoked a marijuana joint one time, must be lying, can't be trusted, ABC should be cancelled etc.

Meanwhile, Alistair Clarkson is a very trustworthy individual who has never not acted with the highest level of integrity and maturity lmao.
Facts help an argument, just saying

There you have our justice system, inherited from Westminster in a nutshell

Also, I heard he didnt inhale. Because it was the 1st and only time he did it.

The Hawks have shown a definite preference for drafting kids with good character recently.
Ginnivans got suspended for shoving cocaine up his nose and you traded him in that year lmao.

This was only 12 months ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just checking but was that a spell check error?
I am talking about Jack Ginnivan: the guy who got suspended for doing cocaine last year, and also no-showed a children's clinic because he was wasted only a couple of days ago.

Apparently he passed Hawthorn's recently implemented "good character" test. Very interesting.

I am talking about Jack Ginnivan: the guy who got suspended for doing cocaine last year, and also no-showed a children's clinic because he was wasted only a couple of days ago.

Apparently he passed Hawthorn's recently implemented "good character" test. Very interesting.
Wow. All I can say is don’t go around throwing stones in glass houses ….. you should be more worried about your mob!

Don't shatter their delusion, its kind of cute.

There you have our justice system, inherited from Westminster in a nutshell
Under our system, both sides (assuming they have good legal counsel which is the real problem for many) can attack character. If the plaintiff's lawyers are doing their job (and they sound like they have good ones fortunately) then there are things in Clarksons background that they can argue will support the plaintiff's case.

On SM-A136B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Peterson is a troubled young man. His troubles started well before he landed at Waverley. Hawthorn would be ruing the day they sent him a lifeline after his failed attempt at a career at Jolimont.
Basing your comments on what? The media? Please. Was very popular in 2010 with players and supporters.

Remove this Banner Ad

NO TROLLS Hawthorn Racism Review - Sensitive issues discussed. Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back