NO TROLLS Hawthorn Racism Review - Sensitive issues discussed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t use this thread as an opportunity to troll North or any other clubs, you’ll be removed from the discussion. Stick to the topic and please keep it civil and respectful to those involved. Keep personal arguements out of this thread.
Help moderators by not quoting obvious trolls and use the report button, please and thank you.

If you feel upset or need to talk you can call either Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636 or Lifeline on 13 11 14 at any time.

- Crisis support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders 13YARN (13 92 76) 13YARN - Call 13 92 76 | 24 /7

This is a serious topic, please treat it as such.

Videos, statements etc in the OP here:

Link to Hawthorn Statement. - Link to ABC Sports article. - Leaked Report

Last edited:

Club allegedly gets involved in a domestic situation.... is guilty.
Newbold is trying to stay out of a domestic situation..... is guilty.

So far all we know for a fact is that the club was supporting the player while he separated from his partner and an unstable situation.
We know the player alleges he was coerced.
We know the coaches deny that.
The email's don't indicate either way.
Wrong!!!
Club imposes themselves on a domestic situation.
Newbold walks away after his club initiates a break up between a player and her partner.

The email indicates everything.

Just on gut feel... i find it extremely hard to believe that men like Clarkson and Fagan who have been around so many years could have tried to take an expecting father from a pregnant woman without that wish being expressed by the player himself... but time will tell.

Even if the player asked them to do that, there is no way they should have got involved.

Imagine in a normal workplace ‘boss, can you come over and help me break off my relationship with my pregnant girlfriend and to collect my stuff’

Hell… f***ing… no.

You get your wish.

Doesn't seem like lawyer talk to me.

Make no mistake, this will end up in Federal Court.

That is lawyer speak.

But interestingly, like Fagan, he doesn't seem to dispute that this stuff happened - only that he has a different take.

I can't help but feel that by doing down this path, these two have accepted that they won't work in footy again, and are instead preparing to defend their contractual payouts.

So far, their statements read that their defence will be pretty much be exactly what they've been accused of - racial insensitivity, casual racism and racial bias - ie. their families were trouble, we knew better, his missus was crazy, he needed to assimilate, the indigenous players with white partners never had an issue with us, indigenous guys are easily led, etc.etc.

None of that is illegal as far as I know, but it's clearly unacceptable in 2022.

If that's their defence, and it feels like it will be, they can't coach again. They will get paid out for their contracts somehow, but surely their roles are untenable if they even attempt to justify their actions.

Even if the player asked them to do that, there is no way they should have got involved.

Imagine in a normal workplace ‘boss, can you come over and help me break off my relationship with my pregnant girlfriend and to collect my stuff’

Hell… f***ing… no.

Are you serious?... Shit like that happens all the time in the AFL... and the world. Clubs are always helping players sort out their private lives.

But it won't be happening anymore.

They aren't really damning at all.

The only strange thing is Newbold denying he sent the replies.
They read as very damming imo.

Is Newbold claiming the replies from him werent send by him ?:think:

I suspect Clarkson and the others are very reluctant to talk in specifics about each complaint because that would result in identifying the complainants, which would be viewed in the worse possible light under the sensitive circumstances. If all they wanted was to save themselves, why would they show any consideration towards their accusers? However, behind closed doors their contributions are likely to be very frank and even revealing.

What would people prefer - the full story coming out, which may well put an unfortunate light on aspects that turn out to be not so cut and dried as they seem? Or private mediation and resolution to the satisfaction of the parties involved?

If the coaches are cleared of anything serious, the public may have to trust the process and suck up never knowing exactly what happened, for the protection of the boys and their families.

Of course, even if it’s found that they did act inappropriately, we still may never know their side of it.

So Clarkson has gone from “it didn’t happen” to “I have different recollections”. Interesting.
Why did he not just add a few more paragraphs and tell us what happened instead of saying he has not had a chance to give his side of ther story? :rolleyes:

Hey Al, what is your side of the story????????

Last edited:
Of course it has different meanings dependent on historical context. Post-colonial countries like ours have completely different institutionally-embedded racism than others

The concept of race is a fairly recent one to justify the excesses of Europe, the USA and now Israel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suspect Clarkson and the others are very reluctant to talk in specifics about each complaint because that would result in identifying the complainants, which would be viewed in the worse possible light under the sensitive circumstances. If all they wanted was to save themselves, why would they show any consideration towards their accusers? However, behind closed doors their contributions are likely to be very frank and even revealing.

What would people prefer - the full story coming out, which may well put an unfortunate light on aspects that turn out to be not so cut and dried as they seem? Or private mediation and resolution to the satisfaction of the parties involved?

If the coaches are cleared of anything serious, the public may have to trust the process and suck up never knowing exactly what happened, for the protection of the boys and their families.

Of course, even if it’s found that they did act inappropriately, we still may never know their side of it.

Clarkson can't be seen to complain about "trail by media" and then go about trying to put information into the media. It would be hypocritical

Why did nnot just add a few more paragraphs and tell us what happened instead of saying he has not had a chance to give his side of ther story? :rolleyes:

Hey Al, what is your side of the story????????

So we should have trial by media? Nope.

Clarkson, at the very least, is doing the responsible thing by maintaining his silence and waiting to speak in the proper forum.

This is far too big for the AFL to sweep under the carpet.
It will 100% not be swept under the carpet.

11288364-16x9-large.jpg

They read as very damming imo.

Is Newbold claiming the replies from him werent send by him ?:think:
I think he probably replied the first time, then asked for background and got told to stay out of it as it was really complicated. No idea why he is denying he sent the emails.

I used to work in a much bigger organisation than Hawthorn dealing with these kind of escalated complaints to senior executives. Her complaint itself suggests to me that there is another significant part of the story that isn't being told. She is clearly in significant distress though.

Clarkson, at the very least, is doing the responsible thing by maintaining his silence and waiting to speak in the proper forum.
Clarkson cannot say he has had no opportunity to give his side of the story then. He should sit back and let the process proceed .

He has not maintained his silence, he is portraying himself as a victim which is laughable.

You get your wish.

Doesn't seem like lawyer talk to me.

Make no mistake, this will end up in Federal Court.

Yes, it looks like he's resigned to losing his position and suing that it was made public before he had a chance to respond to the accusations.

If that does happen and he successfully wins a payout, surely the AFL pays it and this is not related to North and this soft cap at all.

'

Yeah what a top bloke. He will never coach again. Even an assistant coach said it all happened.
Clarkson and Newbold are liars and Gil McFloglan is trying to protect his mates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back